• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Argentina - 21 November, Newcastle

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Ledesma must make an important decision in the backrow. He keeps Bruni, a very solid player in defense and who had a great game against the ABs or he bets on the ball carrying with Facundo Isa, recovered from the muscle injury playing for Toulon in the final of the Challenge Cup? In any case, Isa, entering as an impact player can make a substantial contribution.

How's the hangover after Saturday mate? :)

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Sounds like an awkward combination but after a win like that, I don't blame you!

If it's repeated next week I'll eat my shoe. Wallabies by 12.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Ledesma must make an important decision in the backrow. He keeps Bruni, a very solid player in defense and who had a great game against the ABs or he bets on the ball carrying with Facundo Isa, recovered from the muscle injury playing for Toulon in the final of the Challenge Cup? In any case, Isa, entering as an impact player can make a substantial contribution.

You mean to say that wasn't even your best backrow combination?
200.gif

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Having now watched the full match on replay of Argentina's win over the All Blacks...I am worried - as their defence and work at the breakdown was superb and superior to what Australia delivered imo....

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Yeah think physicality is the key in the pack. All Blacks weren't switched on in the first half, as they under estimated the argies. Then when they realised they needed to switch on their pack wasn't good enough to get parity so didn't get any meaningful ball to the backs.

Therefore I think we should have Hooper Wilson and a new recruit Mr.Notwins in the back row (photo below)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
There'll be no stuffing about with selections you'd think. We'll need to pick our best team and play some pretty good footy to beat this crowd. I would suggest plenty of pick/drive around the corner and kicking for the corners. It will be crucial to keep the ball out of our own half so we don't get crucified by Sanchez knocking penalties over all day.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He has to be accurate though. He has a tendency to lose the pill in contact and at times is not great at going forward( the SRAU semi). We cannot turn over the ball much.
He might be good if fit and more accurate than previously. Going into the game just to counter the perceived Argie strengths should be secondary. We need to finish with a fast accurate pack. They will likely run out of steam a bit in the last 20.

Is it not feasible that turnover ball to the Argies won't be punished like it is by the ABs.? While I have the utmost respect for the ball handling skills and offloading abilities of the Pumas they don't punish mistakes as ruthlessly as the ABs. They seem to be happy to send the ball deep after a couple of phases and rely on their defense to earn penalties in kicking range for Sanchez.

As others have posted, the Pumas defense against NZ was tremendous and contributed to the win. Another aspect they did extremely well was in their kick chase. Invariably they followed a kick with a straight line of chasers either shutting down the ABs open field turnover attack which they so heavily rely on, or forcing the ABs to return kick. Either way, they negated one of the strengths of the ABs attack and one of the ABs prolific try scoring capabilities.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
IIRC it was done in thirds and the first third was essentially the Argies' first team. Naisarani did very well and boshed some people aside to score two nice tries.

Yeah, one of which was a typical Isi drive off the back of the scrum. Been missing that while Isi has been missing.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Sean is a beast. I'm still annoyed that he isn't playing for the Wallabies. We would have quite the powerhouse back row with a rotation of McMahon, Wilson, Samu and Nasirani.

Nah, don't agree. Sean was essentially our Ardie Savea. Too small to play either 6 or 8 at test level and certainly wouldn't be replacing Hooper at 7. NZ just now learning the pitfalls of playing a second No 7 out of position. Hopefully the Wallabies won't ever go through that erroneous selection again.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I was really impressive with Bell in the last game, happy to see him start for the injured Slips, and if we are going that route I'd be tempted to start Tupou along side him because they look to work well together.

Assuming LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is fit he's straight back in along side Phillip, probably Ned off the bench, and Simmons can go to England a bit early.

I am still unconvinced with Isi, he was good in the Aus A games, but he's still very limited in what he brings to the table. He's weak in the rucks, he's not particularly impressive in defense, given that I'd probably have a look at him on the bench.
I'm still not sure what our best back row is, as I've said previously, I'd love to see McReight given a run at 7, but Hooper will be starting there. So form there, Wilson has got to start he's been too good not to start him. Then we are left with 6, I'd probably be looking at Wright I think he's more robust than Pete Samu both in his ruck work and in his ball running. IMO Samu and Hooper fill the same agile ball running need so Wright would be a little more in the thick of things than Samu but that's given we haven't seen how they are all training etc. So I'd have Wright or Samu at 6.

Backs

O'Connor starts at 10 (if fit), with Hunter & Jordie in the centers. (how impressive has Hunter been -- seriously!) Hodge to 15, with whatever two of the three wingers take your fancy.

I'd tend for a 6/2 split probably with Banks being the other back along with Tate (assuming White isn't as slow as he was last game). We are going to neeed to front up with the forwards. perhaps you take the other of Wright or Samu with the extra bench spot.

Reactions: dru

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Assuming LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is fit he's straight back in along side Phillip, probably Ned off the bench, and Simmons can go to England a bit early.

Honestly if ever there was a game you'd want simmons on the bench, this is it. And im normally the first person to call for his head. Scrum and lineout will be crucial late in the game. We will undoubtedly be stronger in both areas with simo on the field.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
More like Ardie Savea is learning what it's like to be blamed for an entire forward pack not being able to make the gainline.

Couldn't agree more. I can't believe more NZ commentators are going after forward pack and also Foster selections there. Particulary Dane Coles was a waste of space. Tried to get under Argies skin but they were having none of it, Matera in particular lead from the front.

Wallabies have the advantage of the warm up games plus watching the match on Saturday to understand that Los Pumas forwards lead from the front and their set piece is very good. Its not the same threat as the all blacks with silky quick backs that can hurt you on the break. Key is to keep the ball on their side of halfway so they can't push for penalty attempts.

Also think Argentina will target Koroibete as he is the worst kick in the back line. However thats at their own risk as he can carve up the entire length of the pitch, big advantage of having a FB that can boot the ball long as well (instead of Folau).

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
When the chips were down the All Blacks game failed out wide and they tried to go up the middle. The Argies were going to tackle all day. They needed one or two of those passes to stick. They only scored 10 points until that consolation try after the bell.
We are going to need to be smarter and go wide often as well as play to the corners.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to start if Hanigan goes to 6. (simmons on bench)

Simmons to start is Wilson goes to 6 and Naisarani to 8. (LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) on bench)

These are the only two options I feel we should be entertaining

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I don't think know Hanigan will be bullied by that Argentinian pack. Plus there has been quite a bit of talk out of the Wallabies Camp that Wright will be starting at 6 -- and that would make sense to help us match up against the Argy pack.

And as I said above Isi was good in the trials, but he was equity bad/one dimensional. Picking him is like picking a center who has no kicking or passing game. They've gotta have one hell of a running game to make up for it, I don't think Isi does for the full 80, but coming off the bench he could be monstrous.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think know Hanigan will be bullied by that Argentinian pack. Plus there has been quite a bit of talk out of the Wallabies Camp that Wright will be starting at 6 -- and that would make sense to help us match up against the Argy pack.

And as I said above Isi was good in the trials, but he was equity bad/one dimensional. Picking him is like picking a center who has no kicking or passing game. They've gotta have one hell of a running game to make up for it, I don't think Isi does for the full 80, but coming off the bench he could be monstrous.

Hanigan's physicality has been fine this season both in Super Rugby and the tests. He may well get bullied by the Pumas. I'm not sure Wright at 6 would be less likely to get bullied.

Personally I'd be starting Valetini at 6, Wilson at 8 and having Hanigan, Wright or Naisarani on the bench.

Largely, I think it will come down to the accuracy of the cleanouts and a lot of that will be down to the backs as that is where we've had the majority of missed cleanouts and lost ball in the tests so far.

That first player there has to be accurate and effective because even if another player arrives soon after, that first player is probably in their way to make an effective cleanout.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
There'll be no stuffing about with selections you'd think. We'll need to pick our best team and play some pretty good footy to beat this crowd. I would suggest plenty of pick/drive around the corner and kicking for the corners. It will be crucial to keep the ball out of our own half so we don't get crucified by Sanchez knocking penalties over all day.

Agree. If you look at the stats from last weekend, the kiwis kept ball in hand a lot more than the Argies and kicked far less, I think there was something like 180 passes from the Kiwis v 120 from the Pumas, the largest margin in those statistics so far in the Rugby Championship. To beat the Pumas I think we need to play a similar game back at them. I would expect to see the Wobs playing deep in the Argentine half and only really retaining the ball when in an attacking position.