• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v India - Perth 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Warner & Cowan both got a bit of luck, each of them easily couldve knocked the ball back onto their stumps. However, that aside they absolutely smashed the Indians, Warner particularly. Awesome stuff from him to keep going after that nasty blow. Commentators saying its his 20/20 background as the reason for his performance but I think he's just adapting his style to test cricket by leaving a few more than usual. Very disappointed with the Indians I thought they would be fired up for this but its turning out at the moment to be all talk.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
thinking about starting a thread for the shittest sledges.

''When we were out there, there was a bit of banter between Virat and me and Ishant,'' Warner said. ''Virat was saying, 'You talk about your averages and this and that, but when we go to India it's going to be a different story'. I just turned around said, 'Mate, we'll probably average an extra 10 over in India because the wickets here are a bit lively and there they are a bit flat'.​

Running Rugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
Great day of test cricket. Jeez Warner's innings reminded me of Gilchrist against the Poms at the WACA 2006. This Australian side is really quite talented they just need to maintain some consistency.
On a side note I would really like to know how Pat Howard is performing as High Performance Manager- externally the results look positive but unfortunately only insiders know the real story. If he is everything he appears Australian rugby should be keeping a close eye on his performance and an open cheque ready.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
How shite are India. It's good to see the Aussies playing with a renewed spirit, but man I wish India would put up a bit more of a fight. They look at times like they don't want to be here. I'm hoping the team don't get an attitude problem from this series and remember the NZ loss when they look back on the summer and keep working hard.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Tendulkar's sulk should be addressed by the match referee, it isn't good enough he should be allowed special treatment to question an umpire's decision. If I was his manager he'd cop a right bollocking before being made to front up to the umpires' room with an apology.

Then I 'spose I'd be packing my bags!

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Time and time again I see punters bemoaning the lack of characters in the game. And by game I mean any game. But every time a player shows any emotion someone screams about fining them. He showed his dissatisfaction on the pitch and then watched the replay in what I assume he thought was the privacy of the teams rooms. Hardly a hanging offence. No public statements about poor decisions actually no statements at all. Compare that with some of the crap Ponting has gone on with over the years and I think he comes over pretty well.

S

spooony

india-srilanka-worldcup-580x411.jpg

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think Tendulkar was just frustrated. Kohli played very well & its a shame for him the tail didnt wag. I have totally over estimated India coming into this test series. I thought they had some excuses from their previous matches prior to this test series but clearly they have some big issues. I hope Australia whilst we celebrate the wins dont get too excited as this is clearly an out of sorts Indian team.

S

spooony

Um Its a tiring old age home. Indian Cricket forgot to blood in youngsters the past few years and it doesn't even look if they are thinking about making the transition of rebuilding like Australia and South Africa are doing. Even Sri Lanka looks Pe but they are at least thinking about or trying to rebuild. India looks if they are going to go with these guys till their 60

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think Tendulkar was just frustrated. Kohli played very well & its a shame for him the tail didnt wag. I have totally over estimated India coming into this test series. I thought they had some excuses from their previous matches prior to this test series but clearly they have some big issues. I hope Australia whilst we celebrate the wins dont get too excited as this is clearly an out of sorts Indian team.

There biggest issue is a distinct lack of heart away from home. I think it might come with the chip many of them carry on their shoulder. I have even spoken to family members and friends of family who are Indian raised but been in aus for over 30 years and they still think the world is somehow out to get indians, including Indian cricketers!

Zaheer khan is a prime example of lacking heart. Bowls one good spell per innings and normally only to the players who have fired him up. Then comes out to bat and jumps away from every ball that is bowled.

Compare to the fight that our tail puts in and you can see a stark difference between these two teams. (and not to mention the energy and application in the field)

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I hope Australia whilst we celebrate the wins dont get too excited as this is clearly an out of sorts Indian team.

Our bowling attack has been very good, the best its been since 2005 (excluding the series in SA where Johnson was unplayable and he and Hughes won us the series). No one will beat us easily if the bowlers keep their recent form, and don't forget the depth there with Cummins and Patterson to return and Copeland, Hazelwood and Cutting in the wings.

There is still questions over the batting, but they are slowly being answered. Marsh needs runs ASAP and Haddin is also under pressure but its not the crisis it was 12 months ago. There is still Watson to come back in and the Shield will start up again soon to allow the next in line to press their claims further.

Also, our fielding is noticably better than it was 12 months ago and Clarke is proving to be a more astute and creative captain. More improvement is needed but I don't think its a false dawn for Aus cricket.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I am pretty excited about where things seem to be heading.

One thing that works in our advantage is the delayed Ashes series. I wouldn't fancy our chances against the Poms in England this year, but next year? I still expect to lose, but we should be a bit more competitive. Plus hopefully the Poms might have peaked and are now on the way down. But in my heart of hearts I admit that is wishful thinking.

Our batting is still the biggest area of concern. Ponting and Hussey seem to be in good touch now, but can they keep it up until the next Ashes series? Maybe. The greater issue, however, is the lack of talent on the next tier. Who is our next superstar batsman? At this point there is no-one around. Guys like Nic Maddinson, Tom Cooper, Usman Khawaja look the likely suspects, but I am still not sure if they have got it.

We do have a few nice all-rounders developing in Mitch Marsh, James Faulkner and Nathan Coulter-Nile. But the batsmen are still the issue.

But it seems now we have quality fast bowlers coming out our arsehole, so we seemed to have that base covered. I can't wait for the day we see a Cummins/Pattinson/Hilfenhaus/Harris attack. Which we will probably only see for a day before one or all of them break down. But boy that will be a fucking good day.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good points babar, but I'd have siddle over harris still... He seems to be able to lift not just his game when needed but inspire those around him to do so also.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah true, Siddle and Harris are both great bowlers. Went with Harris because of his wicket taking abilities, that is based on his past form though. Siddle is killing it at the moment.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Either way, how much better is our bowling attack looking without mitchell johnson. He's been a liability for years now...

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Either way, how much better is our bowling attack looking without mitchell johnson. He's been a liability for years now...

Perhaps in the last 12 months or so but still an unfair call in my opinion. He held our attack together when we had nothing better for a few years there and even helped out with the bat. He won't get a look in again but we shouldn't criticise his contributions to the team as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.