• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket: Summer 2018-19

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Australia wins the first t20 of the the 3 match series by 4 runs. Two more t20s will be played in Melbourne and Sydney on Friday 23 November and Sunday 25 November. The first of four tests will start on December 6 in Adelaide and a 3 match ODI series will round out the tour on 12, 15, and 18 January (following the New Years Test in Sydney).

Test team to be announced tomorrow, November 22.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Test squad for India:

Aaron Finch, Marcus Harris, Usman Khawaja, Shaun Marsh, Peter Handscomb, Mitchell Marsh, Tim Paine (c), Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon, Travis Head, Chris Tremain, Peter Siddle

Labuschagne, Dogget, Holland, Renshaw all not included for a lack of Shield/JLT form. Harris the only real new name who makes his way into the squad off the back of averaging 87 in Shield with a 250 not out against NSW.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Now the t20s are done and dusted (series drawn 1-1) it’s on to the test series starting December 6 in Adelaide. The plan is to get Smith and Warner to bat in the nets to give our bowlers some experience of “world class batsmen.” Bit of an indictment on our current players but a good move to get the pair back into the environment slowly and help our bowlers.

India have traditionally done quite well in Adelaide so we’ll be up against. Last time the teams played there Lyon bowled out India in the afternoon of the 5th day, I remember Mitch Marsh taking a good catch on what I think was his debut.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
India have traditionally done quite well in Adelaide so we’ll be up against. Last time the teams played there Lyon bowled out India in the afternoon of the 5th day, I remember Mitch Marsh taking a good catch on what I think was his debut.
One of the best tests this decade.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Can only be that India didn't want to. Start with a friendly pitch so India can get used to the Aust wickets. The gabba test is now in Jan and will be washed out and ohh the ground and facilities are showing age and CA wanted to promote "better" grounds.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Can only be that India didn't want to. Start with a friendly pitch so India can get used to the Aust wickets. The gabba test is now in Jan and will be washed out and ohh the ground and facilities are showing age and CA wanted to promote "better" grounds.
It’s also not a day night test in Adelaide as it has been for the last few years and we know it’s not exactly a slow turner with the pink ball, makes you think doesn’t it.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think CA will be banking on the ticket sales from all the Indian fans turning up and will do whatever the BCCI wants. The level of support for the Indian team in the t20s was insane.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
The unfortunate reality is that having India makes CA money. Lots of it. Sad that India supporters outnumber the Aussies at the T20 and probably at the Tests but I think it shows the state of Aus cricket with the public at the moment. Like Rugby by winning both sports will draw the fans back.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Teams:

Australia XI for the first Test: Marcus Harris, Aaron Finch, Usman Khawaja, Shaun Marsh, Peter Handscomb, Travis Head, Tim Paine (c), Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood

India: Team - Murali Vijay, KL Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli (capt), Rohit Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane, Hanuma Vihari, Rishabh Pant, Ravi Ashwin, Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah

Mitch Marsh misses out for Australia but the selectors have hinted he’ll be back in if he regains some batting form. Marcus Harris makes his debut and Pete Handscomb comes back into the side. The batting order still looks prone to a collapse in my mind, I’m glad we’re not up against the South African attack. That said Shami, Sharma, and Ashwin haven’t had a whole lot of success in Aus.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
India 9-253 at stumps.

Pretty pleased with that from an Australian perspective, definitely would have taken that at the start of the day. At 4-40 and 6-130 odd it would have been nice to knock them over for a few less but well played to Pujara who batted really well with the tail to score a nice hundred.

If we’ve learnt anything from the Indian innings it is to shoulder arms for the first 20 overs whilst there’s some swing and then cash in. This should be a pretty good track for batting and hopefully we can build some confidence in our green top order.