• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Ireland, Sat 9th June @ 8.00pm, Suncorp Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
My prediction:

1. Sio
2. Latu
3. Kepu
4. Coleman
5. Rodda
6. Tui
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Koroibete
12. Beale
13. Kuridrani
14. DHP
15. Folau

16. Fainga'a
17. Robertson
18. Tupou
19. Simmons
20. Timu
21. Phipps
22. Hodge
23. Maddocks

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My team (current edition) would be:

Sio, BPA, Tupou
Coleman, Rodda
Pocock, Hooper, Timu
Genia, Foley
Koroibete, Beale, Kuridrani, DHP
Folau

Latu, Robertson, Kepu, Simmons, Samu, Phipps, Hodge, Rona

Tupou's form is hard to deny. He now starts. Latu's experience gets him a gig even though he is (or will probably be) a late edition to the squad. Hard to go into the game with two debutantes at hooker.

Really tempted to select Banks on one of the wings and Rona instead of Kuridrani but I think the short preparation means to go for experience.

Maybe Kerevi makes the side but I think Kuridrani's defence gets the nod.

I'm away for the long weekend with no TV so won't be able to watch the game until Monday night. Not sure how I'll cope!

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
With such a small prep time, I think Cheika could pick more established combinations for the 1st game at least, particularly front row and inside backs (inc 13). Not my dream team, but kinda makes sense given the time constraints. Bring out the big guns and better individuals for rounds 2 & 3

1. Sio 2. Fainga'a 3. Ala'alatoa
4. Rodda 5. Coleman
6. Tui 8. Poey 7. Hoops
9. Genia 10. Foley 11. Koroibete 12. Beale 13. Rona 14. Hodge 15. Folau
16. Latu 17. Robetson 18. Kepu 19. Simmons 20. Timu 21. Phipps 22. Kerevi 23. DHP

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Good points and I can see the logic in starting with that front row and 10-12-13-15. I'd probably have all of the other options over Hodge at 14 but would have him as 22 or 23 for his versatility. Re the front row though is 1. Sio 2. Fainga'a 3. Ala'alatoa > 1. Robertson 2. Latu 3. Kepu ? And I'd have Kuridrani over Kerevi as a reserve.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Good points and I can see the logic in starting with that front row and 10-12-13-15. I'd probably have all of the other options over Hodge at 14 but would have him as 22 or 23 for his versatility. Re the front row though is 1. Sio 2. Fainga'a 3. Ala'alatoa > 1. Robertson 2. Latu 3. Kepu ? And I'd have Kuridrani over Kerevi as a reserve.

Mainly because I just don't rate Robertson and will never think otherwise, logically or not, and I'm still dirty that Rangi didn't get in on form over Fainga'a, so there is no way I can put Latu with the 48 seconds he has played over Fainga'a.

I'd prefer to swap Hodge and DHP, but DHP hasn't had many runs, so for the first game I think that will matter. If it was to START at 13 instead of Rona I'd go with Kuridrani, but as an impact sub, I'd go with Kerevi.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
What's with all the love for Tui at 6? I think he's played there once for the Reds and my memory of it was that he was a bit to slow to be a decent 6. Has he played more 6 than I'm aware of or remember?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Probably less love and more an acceptance of what has been in the media regarding a need for a lineout option at 6 for the 1st game at least.

I'd rather Tui than Hanigan especially with Poey and Hoops there.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Big Call starting Tui. I know the guy is a big body, and a jumper but he is still a rookie, has no match Fitness and no experience playing at 6. Very much setting him up to fail IMO.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Philip is the lock that probably would most easily transition into 6 but he's obviously not an option. Tui may be good if he gets more experience but it's a big leap from Reserve Grade one week to playing the second best side in the world at a position you're not really used to the next week.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Big Call starting Tui. I know the guy is a big body, and a jumper but he is still a rookie, has no match Fitness and no experience playing at 6. Very much setting him up to fail IMO.

Agreed. Tui at best will last 50 minutes and then you're back to Timu at 6. You may as well pick a guy that has been playing in that role and has plenty of minutes under his belt.

Pocock or Hooper could easily get a head knock early in the first half, meaning Timu/Samu comes on early and Tui is then forced to play the entire 80 minutes where he's a passenger for 30 minutes.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Reds benefit with Timu on there...is that Higs or ASY (Angus Scott-Young) are the backrow jumper, not Timu. So i guess it'll come down to the perceived importance of the lineout.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He won't even make the 23. definitely not now that Samu is available.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Samu is the same size as mcmahon. He is a utility bench player, not a starting 6 to balance Pocock and Hooper.

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think maybe we're all just too focused on the best 3rd lineout option working off the assumption that he's going to start the Pooper. But maybe he's not going to, maybe it'll be 6. Samu 7. Hooper 8. Timu

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Robertson, Hooker (Latu hasn't started enough to judge), Kepu has been dominated by just about every side they've faced in Super. Sio, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa has won the battle in every game that Fainga'a has started. The answer is obvious.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Robertson, Hooker (Latu hasn't started enough to judge), Kepu has been dominated by just about every side they've faced in Super.

The only conclusion you can draw from that is: don't pick the Waratahs' second row.

I don't think Robertson should be picked ahead of Sio but while AAAA has come on nicely, against Ireland in the first game you want your most experience THP in there along with the best scrummaging hooker available in order to sound them out and see what they've got.

Back it up with a big angry second row with Coleman in it, and then see where the chips fall.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think Cheika will pick:

Sio, BPA, Kepu
Coleman, Simmons
Pocock, Hooper, Timu
Genia, Foley, DHP, Beale, Kuridrani, Koriobete
Folau

I would go with :

Sio, Latu, Ala'alatoa
Coleman, Rodda
Samu, Pocock, Timu
Genia, Foley, Maddox, Kerevi, DHP, Koriobete,
Folau.

I'd have a bench of:

Fainga'a, Robertson, Tupou, Tui, Hooper, Powell, Beale, Rona.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
BR when was the last time DHP played #13 that you are aware of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
There's bound to be a replay of Bled 1 2016 when DHP moved to OC after Gits went off after 5 mins but there's no way I'm going to watch any of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.