• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Ireland, Sat 9th June @ 8.00pm, Suncorp Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)
I dunno about that man, some of the crowds didn't seem that impressive. Are you just talking about the Champions Cup matches or whatever it's called?

Ya top 6 in england league , cletic pro 14, and French top 14 plus the previous winners make the 20 for following year champions cup
So champions cup rugby is never guaranteed year to year
Next 3 in each league get into 2nd tier European cup
Last 3 get not European rugby
France and england have relegation from top division

The later stages of champions cup have those crowds
Big top 14 games to
You get 40,000 at Munster Leinster pro 14 games
And england premier games often have 30/40k
Euro semi and finals up to 80k

Ireland players are contracted to the unions so they game time is controlled they don't play every pro 14 game

England and France with private owners flog the players France the worst for example
Top 14
13 teams home and away = 26 games
9 European games if you why to final
League finals 3
That's 38 club games in a season
Plus 3 November tests
Plus 5 6 nations
You can see what they are so flat when they come here in June

Irish. Players tho are well managed
They would play about 7-10 pro 14 games
Finals 2 games
9 European games (if they get as far as final)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Ireland are a seriously good team at the moment. They are very disciplined with how they play, give up few penalties and always have a good strong kick chase to follow up those pin point box kicks mentioned earlier.

They are a great mix of threat from first phase in the backline, with the almost unique ability to go 41 phases in the wet to set up a drop goal from 40m out.

They use a different defensive pattern, with 13 in the front line and just the two wingers back, unlike most other teams.

Means it's very hard to find too much space, especially with the quality of their defenders near the breakdown.

There's potential to exploit the space behind - but not by the kickers Australia has for mine

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ireland are a seriously good team at the moment. They are very disciplined with how they play, give up few penalties and always have a good strong kick chase to follow up those pin point box kicks mentioned earlier.

They are a great mix of threat from first phase in the backline, with the almost unique ability to go 41 phases in the wet to set up a drop goal from 40m out

They use a different defensive pattern, with 13 in the front line and just the two wingers back, unlike most other teams.

Means it's very hard to find too much space, especially with the quality of their defenders near the breakdown.

There's potential to exploit the space behind - but not by the kickers Australia has for mine

That's a good summary , we got a lot of criticism for limited attacking play a while back but success helps to take the focus away
What ireland don't have is game breakers australia do , The raw talent australia have in the outside backs is incredible
To be honest it's a fascinating clash , if you could marry murray and sexton game management with oz outside backs could you imagine

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That's a good summary , we got a lot of criticism for limited attacking play a while back but success helps to take the focus away
What ireland don't have is game breakers australia do , The raw talent australia have in the outside backs is incredible
To be honest it's a fascinating clash , if you could marry murray and sexton game management with oz outside backs could you imagine
Yeah you'd end up with the All Blacks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
What else do Ireland do apart from kick? Who are the exciting players in attack to watch out for (haven't seen much of them play)?
Up front Furlong is a animal, watch some of the YouTube videos of his fend offs.

Stander at 8 is a ball carrying machine.

Henshaw is always good to watch.

Earls is getting better with age, always finds a gap.

Stockdale does not look like much of a winger but broke the 6N record.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Out of interest, how many genuine jumpers in your starting squad?
4. Henderson, Toner, Stander and O'Mahony.

But the Wallabies problem will be how Ireland attack their throw. O'Mahony will attack the front and usually wins about 1 in 3/4 throws while Toner will challenge the middle/back and jistales it awkward with his size. Wallabies could be going in with two rookie hookers and Ireland would really look to attack it.

Reactions: dru

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Is it a genuine question or following the standard media mantra of discounting all NH teams cos they kick,

No, it's a genuine question, it's just all anyone talks about is the kicking game and you obviously need more than that to be number two in the world. Furlong sounds like one to watch, I will keep an eye on him.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not really. They have a great pack and a highly disciplined backline. It's enough to beat most teams.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Not really. They have a great pack and a highly disciplined backline. It's enough to beat most teams.

I’m not denying that, I’m saying all I hear about is their kicking when they clearly have other aspects of their game that are very good.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Scott Fardy has given a few interwisng interviews this year on the differences , his opinion would be valid . You'd be surprised if your not familiar with it
Did you just quote yourself

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I’m not denying that, I’m saying all I hear about is their kicking when they clearly have other aspects of their game that are very good.

Not sure why everyone just talks about their kicking Up, I personally think the Irish are pretty well balanced team, although Murray and Sexton are right up there as a 9-10 combination, they are able to have players like Jordan Lamour, Kearney Earls etc are pretty good players out wide, quite capable of playing a pretty open game of rugby. Certainly got the makings of a very good series, and I will be at Suncorp to watch opener this week!

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)
Did you just quote yourself

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The left wing podcast , and Leinster fans events
To be fair he'd hardly bag anything to those audiences so I accept it could be taken with grain of salt

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I'd also expect Peter O'Mahony to be Ned captain in the absence of Rory Best.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Not sure why everyone just talks about their kicking Up, I personally think the Irish are pretty well balanced team, although Murray and Sexton are right up there as a 9-10 combination, they are able to have players like Jordan Lamour, Kearney Earls etc are pretty good players out wide, quite capable of playing a pretty open game of rugby. Certainly got the makings of a very good series, and I will be at Suncorp to watch opener this week!

Umm, yes indeed and in G Ringrose (as one example of their backs resources) they have a very talented, attacking centre that will take some defending against:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I love how they included the obstruction try against the Wallabies in that highlights real. Such talent.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
What's with all the love for Tui at 6? I think he's played there once for the Reds and my memory of it was that he was a bit to slow to be a decent 6. Has he played more 6 than I'm aware of or remember?
Exactly my thoughts. I thought he must of played 6 more than the one game I did see, because at the time I saw it as a failed experiment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think maybe we're all just too focused on the best 3rd lineout option working off the assumption that he's going to start the Pooper. But maybe he's not going to, maybe it'll be 6. Samu 7. Hooper 8. Timu

That is an equally bad lineout option - Samu is as much of a lineout option as Timu, Hoops, Poey & Mcmahon

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well we're back to Hooper, Pocock and someone else then! I can only conclude that Cheika's solution was considered before he announced the squad.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well we're back to Hooper, Pocock and someone else then! I can only conclude that Cheika's solution was considered before he announced the squad.

It seems that "proven jumper" is not a KPI that Cheika had for the final backrow position when he selected the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.