• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Ireland, Sat 9th June @ 8.00pm, Suncorp Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems that "proven jumper" is not a KPI that Cheika had for the final backrow position when he selected the group.

He included Tui in his selections and Hanigan who should be available for the second test.

Clearly there were more 6/8 options available that were better lineout options than Timu and Samu but Cheika presumably thinks those two offer more overall and he'll have a better team with the options he has than the players he's left out.

If we get punished at the lineout on the weekend with the expected backrow then that will be a fault in the selections (unless the backrow chosen adds enough elsewhere to overcome that). If the lineout functions well and the backrow goes well in other facets then the selections will have paid off.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I look forward to our pack getting comprehensively beaten around the park and our line-out functioning fine.

Reactions: mst

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Just for interest, I googled the three backrowers that KevinO has 'selected' earlier in this thread for this weekend's test and their heights are 1.91m, 1.91m and 1.85m. So perhaps Cheika considered the opposition while weighing up his options. Just possibly?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He included Tui in his selections and Hanigan who should be available for the second test.

Clearly there were more 6/8 options available that were better lineout options than Timu and Samu but Cheika presumably thinks those two offer more overall and he'll have a better team with the options he has than the players he's left out.

If we get punished at the lineout on the weekend with the expected backrow then that will be a fault in the selections (unless the backrow chosen adds enough elsewhere to overcome that). If the lineout functions well and the backrow goes well in other facets then the selections will have paid off.

Both Tui and Hanigan would give better line out options.

When you say "will have paid off" though, it is a gamble. Sometimes when you gamble you win. This doesn't make it prudent.

TBH with the Irish not seeming to target the touchline with their kicking the risk is mediated. It still means we have a need for our best lock line out merchants on the park - agree this means Simmons, probably with Coleman. And Rodda from the bench does not mean we lose much.

Probably bigger concerns lie in the D patterns, especially the barn dance and how complex Grey makes it on this occassion. D shifts from set piece are one thing, in general play another. The Irish will relish attacking that transfer. If we see any of Genia/Foley/Beale changing to the back at turnover, expect the box kick with chasers to test it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Both Tui and Hanigan would give better line out options.

When you say "will have paid off" though, it is a gamble. Sometimes when you gamble you win. This doesn't make it prudent.

TBH with the Irish not seeming to target the touchline with their kicking the risk is mediated. It still means we have a need for our best lock line out merchants on the park - agree this means Simmons, probably with Coleman. And Rodda from the bench does not mean we lose much.

It's a gamble not selecting our best players as well. Pretty much all our selections involve some sort of gamble because there is pretty much no one who is superior at every facet of play for their position than the alternatives. Genia might be the only one (and that says more about the alternatives than him).

I think we're in a pretty good position for this series. We are missing very few first choice players and the majority of our team are in good form. Finding cohesion in the first game of the season will be the biggest difficulty.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's a gamble not selecting our best players as well. Pretty much all our selections involve some sort of gamble because there is pretty much no one who is superior at every facet of play for their position than the alternatives. Genia might be the only one (and that says more about the alternatives than him).

I think we're in a pretty good position for this series. We are missing very few first choice players and the majority of our team are in good form. Finding cohesion in the first game of the season will be the biggest difficulty.

Yes it it - the way Cheika does it. Though again I can see the temptation in playing both Hooper and Pocock. But for me there is no consistency because especially with the double 7 locked in, the best to go with them are 1. Fardy and 2. Higgenbotham. Neither of whom he wants.

Another year passes and we are still no closer to understanding Cheika's intention of closing that gamble.

It's been a rollercoaster, I was just hoping for things to settle. Hopefully the wilder of the experimentation is over.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Fardy was a good foil for them lineout wise but he wasn't in terms of ball running. Higgers is pretty good at both those things but probably doesn't play the tight game well and has certainly wholly underperformed at test level.

Timu will be a good compliment in terms of ball running but less good in the lineout.

One thing that is clear is that Hooper and Pocock have very complementary skillsets. They are very different players so are a good combination together.

We lack depth. Whether it was Pocock and Hooper or McMahon and Hooper pretty much all of the Wallabies best tests in recent years involved an unorthodox backrow that prioritised putting our best players on the park for more minutes rather than trying to conform to traditional positional stereotypes.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I feel sorry for Cheika, he either picks a back row with some amazing players but they don't compliment each other or he picks a balanced back row with players that aren't international quality. Can't win, unless we freakishly unearth a 6'5 ball running genuine lineout option any time soon

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I feel sorry for Cheika, he either picks a back row with some amazing players but they don't compliment each other or he picks a balanced back row with players that aren't international quality. Can't win, unless we freakishly unearth a 6'5 ball running genuine lineout option any time soon

Does Naisarani jump?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
How would Quade go in sky blue?

Coax him down to Sydney Uni

---
YUupSYR.jpg

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
How long has it actually been since we saw Hooper and Pocock together? I think our tight five stocks are the best they've been for a number of years so I'm hoping it will be a better combination this season.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I'll be interested to see how we approach the Irish tactic of holding guys up in the tackle. Certainly, it's very effective when you pull it off but it does suck in numbers and can allow you to recycle possession quicker as it's harder to send a guy in over the the ball. I hope Cheika has spent time developing a couple of strategies to try and negate the tactic because it killed us in the 2011 World Cup.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
That’s a bit academic isn’t it and not really relevant to this thread? Kieran Reid also is a good ball runner who can jump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's somewhat relevant to the point I was responding too. Point is extending to whether cheika will pick the best individual players, or the best players to fill a certain role. Without the balance that will be available in future series, this series will probably be more about the individual players.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
I’m really looking forward to this game, especially match up between Genia and Murray at 9. Both great scrum half’s. Defence around rucks by Aussie will need to be switched on especially inside red zone. Murray will test them with his running.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
It's somewhat relevant to the point I was responding too. Point is extending to whether cheika will pick the best individual players, or the best players to fill a certain role. Without the balance that will be available in future series, this series will probably be more about the individual players.
I think the point was that he's not eligible for Wallabies yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

Have we been down this road before? Samu is a little taller than McMahon so could be a decent target in time. Tui as a long term prospect has merit and obviously Cheika has put a lot of time and faith into Hanigan. I would love to see us mix it up in-between now and the RWC only rolling out the Pooper against certain opposition.

With all fit I would choose

6. Tui
7. Pocock
8. Timu

Status
Not open for further replies.