• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Scotland, 3:00pm 17 June Sydney Football Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hanigan is a great prospect but, in conjunction with Carter, left us a little light on in the pack. This is the whole reason guys like Coleman, Arnold and Timani became so important, so we could go toe to toe with the big boys. Cheika wants dominant collisions, therefore he must pick physically dominant players. He also wants work rate, but often the two don't overlap in players, you must have players that cover each base.

If you keep Carter, then Timani must start, if you keep Hanigan, then Arnold must start. If you really want to out muscle a 6 Nation team, then both will be probably be needed, with some bench players that will not miss a tackle (except quade) in the back 20.

Hopefully we see another big boy in Sio fit to start this match!

1.Sio 2.Tpn 3.Kepu
4.Carter 5.Coleman
6.Timani 8.Higs 7.Hoops
9. Genia 10.Foley 11. DHP 12.Hunt 13.TK 14. Speight 15.Folau
16. Moore 17.Smith 18.Kepu 19.Arnold 20.Dempsey 21. Phipps 22. Quade 23. Hodge

Reactions: dru

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I wouldn't make any forced changes but I think it is important that all squad players be given a run.

I would like to see Cooper start. I only say that because we need some form and confidence out of him. Without it, behind Foley we're pretty screwed at 10. We Know what Hodge brings at 12 so I wouldn't mind seeing Hunt get more starting time in the position.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I wouldn't make any forced changes but I think it is important that all squad players be given a run.

I would like to see Cooper start. I only say that because we need some form and confidence out of him. Without it, behind Foley we're pretty screwed at 10. We Know what Hodge brings at 12 so I wouldn't mind seeing Hunt get more starting time in the position.

No way I'd start Quade. Find easier games for that option. Agree with Hunt, actually no changes needed to the backline.

Front and back row need thinking through. I dont mind upthereds take on it.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think Ruggo, that if other squad members get a run, those coming back from injury such as Sio & Phipps and fringe players, like Latu, Tui, Dempsey, Godwin, Koroibete etc, it'd be against Italy, not Scotland. (Except Sio, reallllly think Robertson is not a test standard LHP yet)

Kev

Herbert Moran (7)
Untitled.jpg

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Scotland are a good side and more than capable of turning us over in front of our home fans. Development goals should take a serious back seat this week which would mean including Sio, starts for Arnold, Timani and Hodge. Play the big boys and hope for the best.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Scotland are currently fifth in World Rugby's rankings.........

That's surely got to be their highest ranking since it began?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
1.Sio 2.Tpn 3.Kepu
4.Carter 5.Coleman
6.Timani 8.Higs 7.Hoops
9. Genia 10.Foley 11. DHP 12.Hunt 13.TK 14. Speight 15.Folau
16. Moore 17.Smith 18.Kepu 19.Arnold 20.Dempsey 21. Phipps 22. Quade 23. Hodge

Kepu to start and bench is huge ;)

Phipps still in moon boot so highly unlikely.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Quick Scotland preview, at least from my POV

Results over the last 12 months:

Wins over Japan (twice), Italy (twice), Argentina, Georgia, Wales, Ireland

Losses to Australia, France, England

Unavailable: Stuart Hogg, Greig Laidlaw, Tommy Seymour (BILs), Alasdair Dickinson, Rory Sutherland, John Hardie, Richie Gray, Mark Bennett, Huw Jones, Sean Maitland (Injury)

Most Recent Result: Def Italy 34-13

In very hot and very humid conditions, Scotland scored 5 tries to 2, including 3 either side of half time. Despite knocks to the ankle and head, playmaker Finn Russell looked in fine form, as the near sole architect of two tries. Captain John Barclay led from the front, ably assisted by near MOTM Ben Toolis, double try scorer Ross Ford, and Russell's Glasgow halves partner Ali Price.

Conditions clearly played their part however. Scoring, handling, and all round expansive play slowed down dramatically after ~65th minute, and normally 80 minute players Ross Ford and Tim Swinson were notably struggling from about the 55th minute.

Scotland are most likely to be exploited due to lack of forward size in general play (no noted weaknesses in the set piece) being a noted weakness even with Richie Gray, John Hardie and Josh Strauss fully fit. Otherwise, without Laidlaw to control tempo (replaced with pocket rocket Ali Price), and the strikepower of Hogg, Seymour, Jones and Bennett, the responsibility for both falls to Russell, whose relative inexperience and style of play can be targeted into making mistakes.

But a strong set piece, the current form of Russell and Price along with a the motivation to play well under the new coach should ensure a competitive game to say the least

Predicted Team:

D. Taylor, D. Hoyland, M. Scott, A. Dunbar, T. Visser, F. Russell, A. Price, A. Dell, R. Ford, WP. Nel, B. Toolis, J. Gray, J. Barclay ©, H. Watson, J. Strauss

Res: F. Brown, G. Reid, Z. Fagerson, T. Swinson, R. Wilson, H. Pyrgos, P. Horne, R. Hughes

Australia by 3

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If I was selecting the team for this week, with an eye on next week as well, I'd go with what I think is the strongest side we can put out. Having regard for his lack of game time, that would mean Sio on the bench. I'd persist with the higher work rate of Ala'alatoa at THP with Kepu to come on after 50 or 60. I would also go with both Timani and Higgers at 6 and 8, and not alter the backline at all. I'd keep Hardwick on the bench as he offers a bit more aggression and combat at the breakdown than other options. Carter to keep his starting spot for workload early in the game and then Arnold to come on for either of Carter or Coleman depending on how the game is going.

So, I'd see the side being :

Smith, Moore, Ala'alatoa, Carter, Coleman, Timani, Hooper, Higginbotham, Genia, Foley, DHP, Hunt, Kuridrani, Speight, Folau.

Reserves : TPN, Sio, Kepu (great front row to finish with), Arnold, Hardwick, Powell, Cooper, Hodge.

Latu, Ainsley, Hanigan, Dempsey, Gordon, Godwin, Naivalu and Koriobete to get a run against Italy, some to start and some off the bench.

For Italy - Sio, Latu, Kepu, Hanigan, Arnold, Dempsey, Hardwick, Timani, Powell, Cooper, Naivalu, Godwin, Hodge, Koriobete, Hunt.

Reserves : TPN, Robertson, Ainsley, Carter, Higgers, Gordon, Foley, DHP.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yep, strongest side possible. Scotland are no mugs and have turned us over in the last few years. I want us playing tight uncomplicated footy and taking the points when they are on offer. We can do the fancy stuff once the platform is established, but no basketball rugby. Discipline is absolutely key.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
If the players in the squad are good enough to be there then they are good enough for serious game time. Cheika needs to show that faith in the players selected.

Scotland are a good side and it's hardly like the sun shines out the Wallabies arse's is it? It's not about taking them lightly but being bold enough to back the squad selections that have been made.

The risk adverse approach will deliver bugger all in the long run and the Wallabies have a shitload of catching up to be even near the height of their powers.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Look. We will be meeting a peer. Talking rugby quality. It's not the time for mugg's games.

I know we want to think our peers are NZ and England, but lets get a grip.

Face Scotland halfhearted at very severe risk. We're at home. We have everything at our disposal. We should, SHOULD, despatch a peer.

But dont stuff with it. Highest order quality team, please. Dont care about this nonsense about "well Fardy you are only a starter". Give us the best team available.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
If the players in the squad are good enough to be there then they are good enough for serious game time. Cheika needs to show that faith in the players selected.

Scotland are a good side and it's hardly like the sun shines out the Wallabies arse's is it? It's not about taking them lightly but being bold enough to back the squad selections that have been made.

The risk adverse approach will deliver bugger all in the long run and the Wallabies have a shitload of catching up to be even near the height of their powers.

But remember that not all the selections in the squad are the best players, and some are just barely starting in their franchise. Are Hanigan, Dempsey and Hardwick for example better then Fardy, Mcmahon and Pocock? I wouldn't be in a rush to throw them in the deep end is all.

Reactions: dru
Status
Not open for further replies.