• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia Vs Argentina, September 13, Gold Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The boys had a win which is always good. The players' cards are still being filled out and signed each round, though. Some may not be making par, so to speak. o_O

In saying that, it's not a natural time to be making a lot of changes for the GC match — because of this:

BAN

Short turnaround. Expect the backline to be unchanged and they'll be up to the mark against Argentina. It looks like Slipper may be in doubt and there may be one or two forwards changes in the 23 with Horwill/Skelton possibly stepping up.

For the tour to SA+Arg, however, there'll be a two week lead-up period for more re-tuning.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I wouldn't make many changes to the team. TPN onto the bench if he's available. No idea of Sio's status but he's presumably not match fit.

No rest for Slipper. He gets a week off next week. He's consistently been one of our best forwards. His ability to get over the advantage line is making him invaluable.

I'd maybe have Hodgson drop off the bench and bring in Tomane as an extra bench back.

I re-watched the game last night and like many people I'm wondering whether Simo should be dropped from the starting side. Don't get me wrong, he got through a shit tone of work, more than Carter that's for sure. But he gave away 4 or 5 penalties. Really dumb stuff too, one costing us a try. This is the same bloke that got carded the week earlier. On the one hand the Simo/Horwill 2nd row combo is probably our stronger option against the Argies because they generally lead to a solid scrum and lineout. But Simo has to learn that he needs to improve his discipline.

I'd probably go for Skelton on the bench. we need to continue to expose him to test game time and this is a good opportunity to do that.

There is an argument to bring Higgers into the starting side, but I'm liking him as an impact player atm. It is the role that he has generally had the most success in for the wallabies over the last 3 years. I'm still not sure he has the tight-game to start at 6. He'd have to match fardy's workrate which was really good on Saturday.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yep. I'd love to see Slipper in there as he is is our premier No.1. But if his neck/shoulder(?) does not allow him to apply full power then he may have to sit out.

Hopefully not, obviously.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Dunno how many rows there are, but the corner sections have fewer of them.

9tNOgWU.jpg

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Selections in the backs are starting to gel, wish I could say the same about the forwards. My pack for the Argies: Slipper, TPN, Kepu, Horwill, Jones, Higgers, Hooper & Palu with Hanson, Sio/Cowan, Alexander, Skelton (play the game a LOT lower, son), Fardy & Hodgson on the bench. We simply MUST develop our depth in the second row. Sio/Cowan to get 40 minutes.

I might add anyone who's carrying any sort of injury (Carter/Fardy/Palu?) shouldn't be selected.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Depending upon the fitness of a few, I would not be surprised to see this:

1-8: Slipper, TPN, Kepu, Simmons, Horwill, Fardy, Hooper, Palu.
16-21: Hanson, Cowan, Alexander, Skelton, Higginbotham, Hodgson.

Everyone, and I'm one of them, is sick of Simmons' no-brain farkups. But I get the feeling he won't be dropped for this week.

After Saturday is another thing. I also see Jones as more of a potential 6 at Test level.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When the fuck does Sio become available ???????

I guess we'll get an indication after this Saturday when the squad to tour SA and Argentina is announced.

It would seem like the sort of injury he had would put him back in the frame for the tour.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Palu are out of this test through injury.

I wonder if Tomane will go straight onto the wing or whether Betham will get a crack?

Presumably Higgers to start at 8 and McCalman onto the bench.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Palu are out of this test through injury.

I wonder if Tomane will go straight onto the wing or whether Betham will get a crack?

Presumably Higgers to start at 8 and McCalman onto the bench.

Tom English couldn't have picked a better time to dismantle Brisbane City in the NRC. He wouldn't be out of the question.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I got tickets to this one. Anyone know CBUS? Is row 35 the very back row? We are in the corner.

Really? Wouldn't be far off the back. Actually can you flick those tickets? Because tickets for sale in GoldBrigade area are still coming up in Row 1 of Section 20 so around the 22m. You just need to put "FANGROUP" in as the password. $45 each including a GoldBrigade tshirt.

D

daz

Fuck, here I go getting the cheer-leaders gear on again.

"Hey Ew-an, this pick should be a giv-en. Gimme an M, gimme an I, gimme a T, gimme a C, gimme a H. Put it together and what does it spell?"

It spells Take The Fucking Hint, Link!

Fer the love of gawd, man. I'm sick of asking, you are sick of hearing it. Let's just get it done and I'll stop. No, really, I will.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Here's the litmus test for the forwards with Palu out. He has been the best performer in the tight.
Macalman (tight) / Higgers (lose).
Can Carter and Simmons lift their output to compensate for the loss of Palu.
Who is going to put their hand up as the hard man of the pack? (Please don't let it be Phipps).

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
here's my opportunity to make a case for Beale on the wing again :)

will let it go this time though and see what happens at midday tomorrow..

I'm with you on that.... he and Izzy on the counter with a bit of space would be great to see at test level.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Fuck, here I go getting the cheer-leaders gear on again.

"Hey Ew-an, this pick should be a giv-en. Gimme an M, gimme an I, gimme a T, gimme a C, gimme a H. Put it together and what does it spell?"

It spells Take The Fucking Hint, Link!

Fer the love of gawd, man. I'm sick of asking, you are sick of hearing it. Let's just get it done and I'll stop. No, really, I will.
Mitchell Chapman is an deadset toiler and a fine lineout exponent, but is probably past it.

D

daz

Anyone else want to kick me?

Geez, being a fan-boi is hard work.

Status
Not open for further replies.