• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia Vs Argentina, September 13, Gold Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If TPN is fit enough to select, why wouldn't you have him start?

I don't think the guy who inherited the starting jersey a game ago because the previous guy who inherited the starting jersey two games earlier got injured is going to feel too slighted by losing his spot to a returning player.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Don't get me wrong. I think TPN brings a hell of a lot more to the team than Hanson. I thought he would be underdone from the fitness perspective.

Upon reflection, it is a good choice to start Taf and replace him at the point he is too rooted to continue

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1. Slipper
2. Polota-Nau
3. Kepu
4. Carter
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hoooper (c)
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Betham
15. Folau

Bench: Hanson, Cowan, Alexander, Horwill, Higginbotham, Hodgson, White, Beale

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Under the circumstances I can understand Link not wanting to make any more changes than necessary, thus giving the 4-5-6 axis another chance.

T

Train Without a Station

I would have liked to have seen a change at lock as I think Fardy is our best option at 6. I'm guessing Link believes this is still our best pack. Hasn't exactly been anything more than the odd moment from other individuals to suggest otherwise in all fairness.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Under the circumstances I can understand Link not wanting to make any more changes than necessary, thus giving the 4-5-6 axis another chance.

I know there have been many calls for changes to the pack but when you look at it in the cold light of day, what are the realistic options?

Is Jones really ahead of Carter? Could a Carter and Jones combo really be expected to do the business against an Argie scrum?

And whilst Higginbotham has shown glimpses is he really a 60-65 minute test player (yet)? There are limitations in his game that he probably is the right sort of impact player. Obviously Link trusts him to be such a player given if Fardy or Palu get injured in the first 5 minutes he will have to play significant minutes, but I don't think he is ahead of the other two on terms of output.

I don't mind McCalman and last test season I thought he was superb off the bench, but again he probably isn't the consistent player to take a starting spot.

As for Hanson starting over TPN, there should be only one situation that TPN doesn't start and that is when Moore is fit. They will need his scrummaging as the Argies really target the hooker at scrum time.

Well done to Beetham. Hope he goes looking for the ball and has sorted out some of his ball security issues. Can be a devastating player when he's confident.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I know there have been many calls for changes to the pack but when you look at it in the cold light of day, what are the realistic options?

Is Jones really ahead of Carter? Could a Carter and Jones combo really be expected to do the business against an Argie scrum?

Not Jones, but I would have liked to have seen either Horwill or Skelton given a run.

I'm still a bit confused as to why Skelton is suddenly on the outer- he played one of the best Wallaby debuts I have seen in Sydney, and then added spark off the bench in the Bledisloes. But now people are talking him down because of one game in the NRC where he played for a team beaten by 50?

T

Train Without a Station

ACT Crusader you're going to get yourself banned with rational, thought out comments like that. Sort yourself out and come back with some biased hyperbole like the rest of us upstanding citizens.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
4. Carter
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
8. McCalman

I don't doubt the work rate of these guys but there isn't a ball carrier or big hitter among them, I really think something has to change there. Understand higgers on the bench for impact but surely you want someone else who can bring mongrel and impact in there? Surely Horwill or Skelton have earned a start in the second row too? Luke Jones gets 10 minutes in a tight game and is dropped for good?

I'm not one for wholesale changes but expecting the same under performing pack to suddenly turn around and dominate is unrealistic. Hooper is a great player but is only part of what a balanced pack should be, this looks very unbalanced to me at the moment with players in their current form.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm still a bit confused as to why Skelton is suddenly on the outer- he played one of the best Wallaby debuts I have seen in Sydney, and then added spark off the bench in the Bledisloes. But now people are talking him down because of one game in the NRC where he played for a team beaten by 50?

It's been a downward trend with Will though since his excellent debut. Not surprising as he is in his 2nd year as a professional. He looked ok off the bench in the first Bledisloe but in the second he was easily marked and coughed up the ball easily. Certainly not huge offences by any means but when you are being picked for a specific role and have limitations in some aspects of your game, you need to excel at that role, which he didn't.

I thought Horwill in for Carter or Simmons would be the best option but what has he, or Skelton for that matter, done that shows they're any better? They've just not been there to fuck up for the most part.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's surely last chance for that locking pair though.............

McCalman carried strongly this year so hopefully he can bring that form into this game............

Such a shame Speight isn't fit with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) now out injured...............

Status
Not open for further replies.