• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs South Africa 8th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Beale plays a lot of 10 from phase play for the Tahs, so the 30 months for playing 10 whilst literally correct, isn't.

What gain in defense, we lose in the ability to play unstructured from phase using second lines etc
Yeah - that one was a bit of a stretch ;)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well this is Interesting.

Strangely the stiffening up of an attacking back line that can more stay in slot at the change to D was more important against the ABs. But I’m interested in how this goes. Our fly-in-from Euro boys are going to be tested.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Hopefully its just numbers on there back probably defensivly Beale in at 10 attack 12 or when he see the oppertunity

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I was just about to send out the search party for you mate..thought you might have had a heart attack.

Coincidentally perhaps, I have been booked in for an angiogram on Tuesday. Just hope I get through the weekend in one piece.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well, I certainly hope to see a much better performance (not about winning as such but in the manner of how they play) this weekend given this is with only one or two missed opportunities the team I have been pushing for over the past few weeks. I would not personally persist with the Pooper. If Tui is given another chance at 6, then I'd have Timu at 8. I am also still a bit off Koroibete on the wing. I'd rather go with one of Banks or Maddocks until I am convinced on Koroibete's understanding of the intracacies of the game.

I would also have more changes on the bench.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Or does To'omua step into 10 and Beale runs the wider channels

The challenge with Beale at 10 is his inability to keep the attack square, under a rush defense he goes side ways well behind the gain line

Beale’s ability to find a gap in broken play is his real strength. I agree he does have a tendency to crab and that will be exposed at 1st 5 more so than our wider. Giteau had the same issues when he played 10

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The challenge with Beale at 10 is his inability to keep the attack square, under a rush defense he goes side ways well behind the gain line

Yep, a schoolboy habit gone uncorrected because of his rapid transition to professionalism, similar to Quade and tackling. We've had a real problem with some of our best schoolboy prodigies being blooded too quickly before their weaknesses, masked at lower levels by their other talents, are worked on. Our most well rounded players aren't the ones who signed contracts straight out of school.

Thankfully someone had the sense to hold back Tupou back from Wallaby selection till he got a chance to develop his scrummaging.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yep, a schoolboy habit gone uncorrected because of his rapid transition to professionalism, similar to Quade and tackling. We've had a real problem with some of our best schoolboy prodigies being blooded too quickly before their weaknesses, masked at lower levels by their other talents, are worked on. Our most well rounded players aren't the ones who signed contracts straight out of school.

Thankfully someone had the sense to hold back Tupou back from Wallaby selection till he got a chance to develop his scrummaging.
Like Pocock and Hooper ? Or Matt To'omua ?

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Guys like Giteau and Beale play the way they play because they've been rewarded for doing so at every level below playing the top 3 or 4 test sides. You can get away with the crabbing in super rugby no problem and the D is often questionable enough that guys light on their feet can run around defenders.

Not regularly the case against the good test sides, which is why you see such differences in attack outcomes between the tahs playing the (Johannesburg, not British and Irish) Lions and the wallabies playing the ABs or Irish, even though its largely the same group of guys executing it.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Guys like Giteau and Beale play the way they play because they've been rewarded for doing so at every level below playing the top 3 or 4 test sides. .

So you're saying we should be ok with Beale at 10 against these Boks?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

B

Bobby Sands

Beale or To'omua at 10 are substantial step-ups from Foley, despite their perceived or actual weaknesses.

For starters, we now have a midfield that can kick and defend, and potentially attack off-first phase structured ball.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Beale or To'omua at 10 are substantial step-ups from Foley, despite their perceived or actual weaknesses.

For starters, we now have a midfield that can kick and defend, and potentially attack off-first phase structured ball.

Not really. We will now find out one way or the other.
Foley is an excellent bloke to have in the 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.