• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs South Africa - Brisbane 7th Sept 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Hearing the Wallabies have gotten another blessing in disguise with Schatz out. Would have to be Gill in. Injury Gods fixing up Ewen's errors.

Gilly can play 7 and 7 only. Just not big enough either in mass or height to make a difference at lineout time. Personally I think Shatz was a terrific selection as can play 6 and 8 very well and 7 (probably not as well)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
He just seems to be a much more effective 6 than 8. Sometimes the number on your back just changes it all.

Not at the Brumbies though.. I think he just played against a better pack in the All Blacks.. Give him a chance Mowen will have a big game. Maybe his trying to hard to be a Palu 8 and not the work horse..

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Bad news for Shatz but not many teams would be weakened by adding Gill to the roster. Wouldn't mind if he started as I think Hooper's game is more useful from the bench. It will be interesting to see how we go when Pocock returns, so many sevens, I think Colby will come into the equation in the coming years too.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I believe both the inclusions of Horwill and Schatz were errors. They do not warrant selection, Horwill on form and Schatz because he's not good enough for Test rugby.

Well you got your wish and neither are playing.

Very confused as to how a guy is not good enough for test rugby when he has never played test rugby. That seems a bit harsh unless you have some justification other than pure speculation?

Perhaps you should play the ball and not the man.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I have doubts over Schatz in test rugby as well - mainly physicality and ball handling skills, but was happy to see him trialled.

Ultimately though I believe Quirk and Browning will both go past Schatz and could become useful test players.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not all that upset that Shatz is out and Gill is in.

http://www.rugby.com.au/wallabies/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1516/ArticleID/10178/Default.aspx

Revised Squad is now
1. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
2. Stephen Moore (ACT Brumbies)
3. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)
4. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
5. Kane Douglas (NSW Waratahs)
6. Scott Fardy (ACT Brumbies)
7. Michael Hooper (NSW Waratahs)
8. Ben Mowen (vc - ACT Brumbies)
9. Will Genia (c – Queensland Reds)
10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
11. Nick Cummins (Western Force)
12. Christian Leali’ifano (ACT Brumbies)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs)
14. James O’Connor (Melbourne Rebels)
15. Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs)
16. Saia Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)
17. Scott Sio (ACT Brumbies)
18. Ben Alexander (ACT Brumbies)
19. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
20. Liam Gill (Queensland Reds)
21. Nic White (ACT Brumbies)
22. Matt To'omua (ACT Brumbies)
23. Jesse Mogg (ACT Brumbies)

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I have doubts over Schatz in test rugby as well - mainly physicality and ball handling skills, but was happy to see him trialled.

Ultimately though I believe Quirk and Browning will both go past Schatz and could become useful test players.

It is one thing to doubt a players ability at test level, it is another to assert that they are not good enough to play test rugby at all.

I too have doubts over Schatz, but you can't argue that the bloke deserves a shot after the season he had this year. Plus we don't have too many other options and the coach has every right to back a player he knows well. Schatzy is still young and developing, no one really knows how he would go for the Wobs until he gets on the field.

Either way, he won't be playing so we don't have to worry about it just yet.

T

TOCC

In the perception of the public you are only as good as your last game and unfortunately for Shatz it was a terrible game in the QF against the Crusaders... So i guess its understandable that people are questioning his inclusion in the side.. (until the injury)

I guess when you actually examine his playing history under link and the availability of numbers 8's in Australia, his inclusion doesn't come as a surprise. He won the 2010 rookier of the year under link and also the Pilecki Medal(player of the year) and Most Improved player award in 2013 under link , so yes his last game was a bad one, but his overall season performance was actually quite good.

He is one of those blokes who wont make many highlight reels for massive hits or big runs, but what he does extremely well is his high work-rate, its why he was played as an open-side in 2010 and fills the bind-side position easily as well. Do the Wallabies need a high workrate number 8 or do we need a big abbrasive line bending number 8, i would argue that its a mixture of both, but given the current depth in Australia we don't really have anyone who fills that mould.

M

Muttonbird

Is it the QLD 30 min time difference that means this game doesn't start until 10:00pm NZL standard?

Looked at the World Clock. It's 7:35pm in Brisbane now. Why do you start your games at 8:00pm?

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Is it the QLD 30 min time difference that means this game doesn't start until 10:00pm NZL standard?

Looked at the World Clock. It's 7:35pm in Brisbane now. Why do you start your games at 8:00pm?

Why do saffas play their games in the afternoon.?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Saffas won the toss and kicking off. Wallabies running towards the river. 11 & 14 have swapped jumpers.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Qld doesn't have a 30 minute time difference.

We seem to start all our tests at 8:05pm AEST. I think it's more about being able to start the TV coverage around 7:30pm and have a good half hour of pre-game bullshit.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

All east states and territories of Australia are in the same timezone (GMT +10). This includes NSW, Qld, Vic, Tas and ACT. SA and NT are in a different timezone (GMT +9.5) and WA in another (GMT +8).

Most Wallaby test generally kick off for some reason kick off at 8pm in the eastern states (this included the Bledisloe in Sydney two weeks ago). It's been like that for years, I suspect due to the broadcasters.

edit: beaten like a complete bitch by Braveheart81 - I hate being the slowest time zone pedant! Next time (zone), gadget, next time (zone).....

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I believe both the inclusions of Horwill and Schatz were errors. They do not warrant selection, Horwill on form and Schatz because he's not good enough for Test rugby.

Wow, you must be the only person in the world who thinks that Douglas is in better form than Horwill. That's impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.