• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Junior Rugby Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
And still no Annual Reports ( since 2008) from NSWJRU either, HJ.

I suspect that you might be waiting a while if that is anything to go by .....

I am sure everything will become clear about June 30 next year.....

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'll have to recheck their constitution (yes I have a copy tucked away. I read that sort of stuff), and maybe comment about governance and procedural compliance.

It is fairly serious stuff when association boards approve unaudited books of account when the constitution of that association specifically states that audited accounts are to be provided for approval. One would hope that a little procedural oversight such as this, which may have happened once or twice some time ago, is no longer being practiced.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
As a dad of one of the NSW U17 boys I've got to say that it's very disappointing that NSWJRU/AJRU/QJRU couldn't organise a simple game of rugby between NSW and Qld.

The boys when selected were promise:
  • 4 training sessions.
  • at least 2 game ACT and probably Qld.
  • a shot at an Australian merit jersey.
It seems to me to be very poor then to go "oh it's all a bit hard let's give up" there's a good message to send:confused: particularly if it's driven by a hissy fit.

Surely now it's time to put this lot down and move on, perhaps that's what the ARU has in mind with JGC as a first step.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hugie, Congratulations to your boy on making the State team. On the rather confused series of goat tracks that form "the Pathway" there is no higher honour than being chosen to represent your state, short of being in the National team, or National Merit Selection. You can rightly be a proud dad.

From what I am lead to believe, NSW Country Juniors charge about $1k for their programme which includes 1 game vs Victoria, and 1 game vs Sydney Juniors. NSW JRU charge $250 for jumper, shorts etc. 1 game vs ACT.

Doing some rough and ready sums, not including travel to trainings and games, you have had to stump up about $1200 for your boy to play 3 games of footy.

Is there something out of kilter that families are up for $400 per game for boys in the rep programme.

Chuck in the promised AJRU National Junior Championship and another couple of games and the per game cost is a little more palatable at about $200 per game for 6 games, 2 jumpers, 2 sets of socks, shorts, training T shirts and memories.

Seriously how much development has actually been invested in these kids that are the future of Rugby, and are the "elite" on the Junior Club section of the Pathway to Gold. Several training sessions at Country Juniors level and only one for the State team. No criticism of the coaches and team management but the kids probably didn't even get enough time in this "elite development environment" to go beyond working out some lineout calls and a couple of backline moves.

Silk purses can't be made out of pig's ears, but with some time and effort, a kangaroos scrotum can be factored into a fairly decent carry bag.

This branch of pathway seems to be characterised by almost no time or effort invested.

By all accounts NSW Juniors tried really hard to get some more stuff happening, but have been led down by "others".

What happens next for this U17 cohort?

They miss out on 2013/14 Jnr Gold Cup development opportunities.

In Sydney Juniors, there is really no effective and challenging U18/Open grade competition.

There is no Under 18 Junior State Championship.

There is no Under 18 State rep team that I know of outside of the NSW Schools. Most of these kids do not go to schools that are involved in regular competitive Rugby competitions.

If they are lucky they will play Colts in 2014, but even in Colts there is limited opportunities for elite development at Under 18 level, although there is occasionally ad-hoc Under 19 games played between NSW and QLD.

One of two of these lads may have caught the eye of the Koala club, and they may receive an invite to the NGS (who knows what format that will take next year?), but it seems that the majority of the kids will have to rely on natural talent and luck if they are to progress on the pathway.

I can't seen the situation being any different in the ACT or QLD.

WTF have the AJRU been doing for the last 3 years?

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
I don't mind the money thing as it is a lot cheaper than a big private rugby school. The Country guys love their dress shirt jackets etc etc which runs up a lot of the cost especially when last years stuff still fits.

The Country and NSW programs are way short of what I think they should/could be. There simply aren't enough games played at the high faster rates that I think generate the real development. As I've said on other sites 6 games min to get used to the speed and get the teams working.

The JGC should provide the perfect opportunity to restructured as SJRU and CJRU and Districts/zones can all then lever off the back of this program, no need for AJRU or even NSWJRU let the ARU run it above District/zone level.

HSC and Colts next year, the only question is it Illawarra Colts or SD colts, as the HSC takes priority.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ The Country JRU have an Under 18's rep team.

This year the Coasties Under 18's played the Sydney Juniors U17's in the Classic Wobs vs Classic Lions game at North Sydney Ovel.

A couple of weeks later the NSW Country Juniors U18 team played a Leicester Tigers (UK) under 18 selection.

There is some juniors life past the Under 17's but it is really on life support thriving off luck and opportunity rather being than an organised bit of the "pathway".

What does the AJRU do?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No longer the case, if ever they were on the board.

According to Arbib Report, the ARU Board is 8 independently appointed Directors (with no representational links to Member Unions).

Last AGM (April 2013) elected David Crombie to President, John Coolican to Snr VP, Tony Shaw to Jnr VP, John Eales, John Mumm, and Michael Hawker to Board members. (The Board can at its discretion appoint an additional two Directors)

ARU Voting is 1 Vote for each ARU Member, 1 Vote for each Soup Franchise, 1 Vote for members with > 50000 participants and 1 vote for RUPA.

Pretty sure that the AJRU is not a Member Union. Rugby.com.au defines the Member Unions as the 6 States and two territory Rugby Unions.

At best they may be allowed access to the 3/4 empty Shiraz bottles and the cold pies after the AGM has finished.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Things vary from club to club, district to district, country zone to country zone.

Most of the Country Juniors folk will confirm that the parents are expected to pay $1k to be in the Juniors rep programme. I'm sure the Country Juniors Committee are upfront and there is nothing untoward or dishonest in how they have struck those charges. The Country boys are usually very well attired at carnivals compared to the city folk. The country admin costs are typically a lot higher given the distances that they have to travel. The dollars for this do not come from thin air.

It would be unreasonable for local clubs and districts to stump up for all costs that are incurred by their rep players.

Some clubs struggle to raise the money to pay for ground hire and team insurance, let along subside the jumper and tracksuit collection of their star players.
Other clubs that can afford to do so can be more generous. There is no hard and fast rule.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Last year the Australian Junior Rugby Union was resurrected by Paul Taylor (it had been dormant for a number of years but still had a bank acct etc). Taylor steps down this year as President of NSWJRU and desperately needed another gig to maintain kudos!

Taylor appointed a full time administrator in Brisbane (circa $100k pa) to 'legitimise' the AJRU and wants to have tours to provide a pathway for club players (or maybe to compete with the prestigious Aust Schools' UK and other tours).

Funding will not be by sponsorship or fundraising dinners but by a levy on all junior players (incl minis)!

Did anything come of this?

What is the status of the Aust JRU?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And still no Annual Reports ( since 2008) from NSWJRU either, HJ.

I suspect that you might be waiting a while if that is anything to go by ...

I am sure everything will become clear about June 30 next year...

Annual reports would be useful.

Now that NSW JRU President has been awarded the 2013 Spirit of Rugby Award, I would expect to see this oversight rectified rather quickly. Wouldn't look all that good if annual report and financial statements were not made available by the 2103 Nick F-J Award Winner, would it?

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
To be fair HJ, she inherited a bit of a shambles from her predecessors….and IIRC – nominated for the position of President to help try & move things forward, not dwell in the past.

That being said, not a lot has been actioned since the Sate Championships as regards AR's etc, however, stepping in to run the SJRU comp after their administrator jumped ship to assist in running Jnr AFL for (one presumes)
significantly more $$ & resources, and now trying to get the 2014 SJRU Comp established – and desperately trying to facilitate those Clubs who wanted / ( demanded ?) a resurrection of more Saturday rugby competitions, one suspects that Ms B has plenty on her plate to keep her occupied.

IMHO – a worthy recipient, amongst many – and I trust that she continues to represent the “grass roots” of the Juniors etc with the diligence that she has tried to bring to the many aspects of Junior rugby with which she is involved ( and where I have crossed paths with her in the past).

The Hound

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Annual reports would be useful.

And still no Annual Reports ( since 2008) from NSWJRU either, HJ. I suspect that you might be waiting a while if that is anything to go by ... I am sure everything will become clear about June 30 next year...

Gents the 2011 NSWJRU accounts were posted in Oct last year. refer to blog #13 via this link.
The GAGR challenge will be to get the 2012 and 2013 Reports!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lost your snout on the inner circle @George? Pity, that was a good scoop last year.

Part of the issue is the GAGR tragics getting a copy of the accounts, but the wider issue is the whole governance thing about the incumbents doing the right thing, so that any one interested in reading the annual report or seeing the accounts can access them from the official NSW JRU web site.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
First impressions:
Varying standards of reports. Quality has varied considerably.

2012 Financial Accounts have been audited and signed off by appropriate entities. Interesting that it took until 10 October 2013 for the 2012 accounts to be audited. At least they have been signed off and audited.

2011 - No financials.

2010 - 2008 no detailed Financial statements signed off. Sometimes no detailed statements just a summary of financials.

Seems to be some procedural issues with perhaps too much being expected of busy volunteers.

It is good to read and see some of the previous years Rep Rugby reports to see where some of todays stars have come from, who they played with and some of the hair cuts their parents let them get away with.:)

I'll leave comment on the actual detail of the Financial statements and what they say about the health of NSW JRU to others who I am sure will be better placed and qualified to comment than myself.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Excuse my ignorance, but as I scroll through the annual reports and look at the NSWRU teams there are only a handful of names I recognise, TPN, Waldo Wessels, Will Hopate. Is there an explanation for why so few of the kids progress to higher honours when they're older?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just one of those things that make it so much fun to watch the lengths that Mr and Mrs Oz-Sports go to to try and get little Oliver Oz_Sports into <insert name> rep team, as if that is the guarantee that little Oliver will one day be running around in Green and Gold.

Seriously there can be all sorts of reasons such as injuries, jobs, travel, study, other interests, late developers catching up and passing, mentors/protectors/sponsors no longer being able to influence selections, waning desire, girlfriends, mungo.

You could do similar with the NSW I and NSW II Schoolboy teams and Aust Schoolboys. The conversion rate to professional athlete, or even Shute Shield first grade is not all that high.

Many will say that the low % of the U15-U17 elite progressing to higher honours is a good reason to seriously question the validity of the Long Term Athletic Development Model that undermines so much of the AIS and other sports elite development programmes.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
HJ
The 2013 Annual Report of the NSWJRU makes for some interesting reading, particularly with reference to the AJRU......nice to see audited accounts though, prepared & presented on time !
Seems like the AGM last weekend was well attended & it will be iinteresting to see what happens with rep rugby in 2014...

Status
Not open for further replies.