• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Open Epic Tennis Match

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
For anyone who likes Tennis as much as I do I just saw the longest ever womens slam tennis match (4hrs & 44min).

Francesca Schiavone def Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-4, 1-6, 16-14.

I've always said you need some pretty awesome fitness to play Rugby but god I'd be dead after 4hrs.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Yep it's equal pay, though third party endorsements would change things up.

I don't want to see women playing 5 sets, this would lead to a change in body type as bigger more Williams types of women have the stamina needed to grunt out a win.
The appeal of women's tennis for me is long rallies and skillful usage of the whole court. What they have now seems to be working pretty well so why change it?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's justice, dammit!! :)

To me it's the principle of equal treatment.

EDIT: And besides, women are actually better endurance athletes, pound for pound, than blokes. They would be able to handle it.

EDIT2: Women run the same marathon distance as blokes. Why is this any different?

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Yep it's equal pay, though third party endorsements would change things up.

I don't want to see women playing 5 sets, this would lead to a change in body type as bigger more Williams types of women have the stamina needed to grunt out a win.
The appeal of women's tennis for me is long rallies and skillful usage of the whole court. What they have now seems to be working pretty well so why change it?

you just wanna see more tall blonde russians...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If the women played 5 setters you'd see soooo many retires and set bagels. Women are mentally unstable, you see so many choke and give-up.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Jesus christ I regret putting up this thread, well at least I know better for the future. I agree with moses I'll say that much, no point replying to any of the other posts.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
If the women played 5 setters you'd see soooo many retires and set bagels. Women are mentally unstable, you see so many choke and give-up.

They already take 10 minute strategic 'toilet breaks' between sets, the poor little dears.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
And besides, women are actually better endurance athletes, pound for pound, than blokes. They would be able to handle it. Women run the same marathon distance as blokes. Why is this any different?

But not in the same time. This match took a lot out of Schiavone, she lost the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.