• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Keeping the briefing short as it captures various areas and has evolved over a number of years.
  • We have Australian Rugby, what most of the posters are pationate about, whether it be their club side, passing comments on their provincial side, or casting their thoughts on the make up of the Wallabies. To use the title of an old book - For Love not Money.

• We then have the ARU - Is it a business? How do they measure success? - Is it love, or Money, or politics. What do they do, what do they create, how are they measured, what are thier goals and methods.
Pick a thought and post it, who knows whole read it?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
ARU ultimate goals
Wallabies have every trophy they compete for, turn a profit every year, next 10 years of Australian rugby are as good as sorted.

Supplementary goals
Continued viability, additional leverage over provincial teams, build fan base.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
ARU ultimate goals
Wallabies have every trophy they compete for, turn a profit every year, next 10 years of Australian rugby are as good as sorted.

Supplementary goals
Continued viability, additional leverage over provincial teams, build fan base.
Fantastic, then I woke up and realised something was wrong with the WIP.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The ARU are themselves coming to terms with the difference between themselves and Australian Rugby. I think JON thought they were one in the same and there may be a few involved who still think this. I am actually liking Pulver and what he has been doing since he started. He seems to have a positive energy about him and has said some good things about cutting costs. I think the restructure of the departments makes sense.

The thing is that the first 6-12 months were always going to be easy from a PR point of view. I hope he is working very hard behind the scenes to make sure there is some substance behind his positive attitude. The Lions tour and the subsequent Rugby Championship will set the tone for his tenure. Australian Rugby (us) want to see something positive on and off the field. I don't expect us to win everything, that's unrealistic. What I want to see is guys putting in and having a go. Attitude is important to me and in the recent past I think that some performances on and off the field have been the result of bad attitude and excuses have be quickly expressed.

This is what I want to see from the ARU:

The Coach of our National team will need to be sorted out. The Coach needs to have a mandate for their vision of the team. We have quality players and their talent needs to be harnessed.

We need to have money in the bank at the end of the year. This need to be invested in the game to grow it. Not spent on unprofitable areas of business.

We need to have financial controls in place for how things are done. The ARU should make a profit 3/4 years. RWC years will always run at a loss.

Grass roots rugby needs to be overhauled. There are lots of people working really hard in club land and they need to be supported. We can work smarter, not harder.

We need to see development pathways for 7's. We need to medal at the Olympics. This is really important.

We need a plan around Women's rugby. This is a huge potential growth area in the game. We need a development plan in place for this.

This will do me for know. I have opinions around most of these areas but I'm willing to change them, or accept others, if there is a solid basis for them. We need decisive leadership.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
International rugby in Australia only survived during the fifties because of two incoming Fijian tours, which were wildly popular. Money saved the game at the top level.

I suppose the game would survive at the grassroots without a viable international presence, and the SupeRugby tournament.

I wonder what it would look like as an amateur pursuit? I think I know the answer. It would look like shit.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Wamberal, you would find there would be almost no change in grassroots except the number of players at the bottom end. SS and Brisbane Premier competitions would still happen but Subbies and regional competitions would be significanly smaller.

The reason for the little difference is becasue there is currently no support from the senior levels.

Hypothetically, if anything, you might see rugby flourish because it would become the pinnacle of the sport in the country. Think NSWRL an QRL in the early 80's. Without a national body trying to gut the lower levels and warehouse the best players from the fans the sport developed into a professional operation long before the players became fulltime professionals.

We could do a lot worse for grassroots than follow what the mungos did before us.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Wamberal, you would find there would be almost no change in grassroots except the number of players at the bottom end. SS and Brisbane Premier competitions would still happen but Subbies and regional competitions would be significanly smaller.

The reason for the little difference is becasue there is currently no support from the senior levels.

Hypothetically, if anything, you might see rugby flourish because it would become the pinnacle of the sport in the country. Think NSWRL an QRL in the early 80's. Without a national body trying to gut the lower levels and warehouse the best players from the fans the sport developed into a professional operation long before the players became fulltime professionals.

We could do a lot worse for grassroots than follow what the mungos did before us.

RC, pretty much sums up the topic Australian Rugby are passionate people, volunteers, who contribute for the love of the game. To early in Pulver's tenure so historically I'm not aware of the ARU support passed back through the grass roots.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Not sure if this is the thread but would love to see Pulver re-institute the Australian Rugby Shield with a couple of extra teams - Sydney (Combined Subbies), Brisbane (Combined Subbies), ACT (players not contracted to the Brumbies) and Combined Services. Playing it post season would be good and at the end name an 'Australian Residents' merit team, perhaps even organise tours for the resident side who would be entirely amateur (perhaps even put a rule in place that if you have ever been involved with a Super Rugby team you are ineligible for selection).

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Not sure if this is the thread but would love to see Pulver re-institute the Australian Rugby Shield with a couple of extra teams - Sydney (Combined Subbies), Brisbane (Combined Subbies), ACT (players not contracted to the Brumbies) and Combined Services. Playing it post season would be good and at the end name an 'Australian Residents' merit team, perhaps even organise tours for the resident side who would be entirely amateur (perhaps even put a rule in place that if you have ever been involved with a Super Rugby team you are ineligible for selection).

Great idea, an investment in this rather than the Super B abbreviated game ideas.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I like the idea of bringing back the Aust Rugby Shield but wouldn't want it in place of the Super B/3rd tier. Country and subbies isn't where the next group of pro players will come from. These groups need to have a rep pathway to encourage players to play the game in these areas not to feed pro rugby.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I like the idea of bringing back the Aust Rugby Shield but wouldn't want it in place of the Super B/3rd tier. Country and subbies isn't where the next group of pro players will come from. These groups need to have a rep pathway to encourage players to play the game in these areas not to feed pro rugby.
Jets agreed, but what i like was;
Post Club / Super Season.
Why couldnt a NSW Subies side, and QLD Subies side form part of the 3T, may unearth some unknown talent, or lift the quality through club rugby.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Keeping the briefing short as it captures various areas and has evolved over a number of years.
  • We have Australian Rugby, what most of the posters are pationate about, whether it be their club side, passing comments on their provincial side, or casting their thoughts on the make up of the Wallabies. To use the title of an old book - For Love not Money.

• We then have the ARU - Is it a business? How do they measure success? - Is it love, or Money, or politics. What do they do, what do they create, how are they measured, what are thier goals and methods.
Pick a thought and post it, who knows whole read it?

I think you should adopt SA selection policy
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Teen-creates-Bok-selection-site-20130516

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Jets agreed, but what i like was;
Post Club / Super Season.
Why couldnt a NSW Subies side, and QLD Subies side form part of the 3T, may unearth some unknown talent, or lift the quality through club rugby.

I'd say you'll unearth a fair bit of talent. Particularly as there's probably more money floating around Subbies now than SS.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Might be the case in Sydney but not in Brisbane. The best subbies players would struggle to make a 2nd grade team at the Premier Clubs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Even if there are good players running around in Subbies, why would you be pouring money into it to try and identify talent?

Anyone wanting to be a more serious rugby player doesn't play Subbies. Given the state of ARU finances and our lack of a third tier, throwing money at travelling representative Subbies teams seems crazy.

It's a nice enough idea but surely there are more pressing needs.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Even if there are good players running around in Subbies, why would you be pouring money into it to try and identify talent?
Anyone wanting to be a more serious rugby player doesn't play Subbies. Given the state of ARU finances and our lack of a third tier, throwing money at travelling representative Subbies teams seems crazy.
It's a nice enough idea but surely there are more pressing needs.

BH - they already have a NSW & QLD Subbies side so no new development on that front.
anyone wanting to be a more serious rugby player - maybe, maybe not, their are some X Super players running around in Subbies and they may form a potent team for a 3T.
You may then say / ask about development instead of having X Super has been players running around, I'm sure they will lift the players of their team, but also the opposition. An example there was considerable interest when Cebal pulled on the Balmain jersey last year.