• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is that accusation based on any fact? My impression was the lawsuits are between communities as to who gets the royalties that are already set aside and nothing to do with him cheating them. Am I wrong?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...e/news-story/41745859316f9e16e19a68cfd151708c http://nationalunitygovernment.org/...t-has-purposely-manipulated-pilbara-community http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-...rs-upset-with-andrew-forrest-donation/8550112 https://thewest.com.au/business/min...k-pay-after-native-title-ruling-ng-b88544086z
There's actually 4 separate links there, but the board is still broken........

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Read this blog by Pek Cowan, the ARU's actions are astounding, no ARU representative has contacted the players to liaise with them for what this means for 2018 and their futures

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/pek-cowan-stress-tears-and-a-club-ruined/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You do have to take it with a grin of salt. This is one side from an extremely emotional (understandably) person but a great many of his points are things professional players of all sports deal with all the time. Could of the ARU handled this better sure but I think a fair amount of this blame is misdirected.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I feel for him, and while you can attribute some of that article to 'part of the game', there are still a few troubling aspects.

He is dead right when he suggests this should be handled like the private sector handles redundancy, where bad news is accompanied by a support package, counselors etc.

The fact that the ARU (or RUPA) have done nothing in this regard is very troubling indeed, especially after the sentiments expressed after the Vickerman tragedy last year.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I feel for him, and while you can attribute some of that article to 'part of the game', there are still a few troubling aspects.

He is dead right when he suggests this should be handled like the private sector handles redundancy, where bad news is accompanied by a support package, counselors etc.

The fact that the ARU (or RUPA) have done nothing in this regard is very troubling indeed, especially after the sentiments expressed after the Vickerman tragedy last year.

I hope he just didn't mention RUPA's involvement, because he's paid a fair bit of money for membership of that organisation - and from his comments here they have failed him pretty badly.

RUPA’s operations can be divided into two key service arms. These are: * industrial representation and player advocacy; and * player education and wellbeing
But it’s a pretty strange feeling to think, ‘Hang on, I’ve been one of Australia’s best at doing what I do, and now I can’t even get a job doing some labouring work because I don’t have a white card’. When I sit back and think about my value as an employee, that’s when it gets quite scary. For someone like me who has been doing this for so long, it’s like, ‘I have no value to anyone other than a rugby club’, which is pretty sad when you think about it.[/quote}

gordy1

Frank Row (1)
You do have to take it with a grin of salt. This is one side from an extremely emotional (understandably) person but a great many of his points are things professional players of all sports deal with all the time. Could of the ARU handled this better sure but I think a fair amount of this blame is misdirected.

Really? I know how I've felt as a fan this year. What Pek and the rest of the Force team have gone through would have been unbearable, and I do not agree that many of his points are things that others deal with all the time.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Do you think that the Force played a part in this too? As in if was wrapped up in May it would have been better handled by the ARU?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Do you think that the Force played a part in this too? As in if was wrapped up in May it would have been better handled by the ARU?

Most certainly. Players wouldn't of held out until the very last moment to make decisions, however....... The Force also had a right to fight for their survival and the players professionalism in staying strong for not only the club but the fans must be commended. The Force had done exactly what any other club in the world would of done in the same situation

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Most certainly. Players wouldn't of held out until the very last moment to make decisions, however... The Force also had a right to fight for their survival and the players professionalism in staying strong for not only the club but the fans must be commended. The Force had done exactly what any other club in the world would of done in the same situation

Agree however I think the Force have come out blameless in this situation. Yesterday was the first time we have heard an omission of guilt regarding the position they have been put in. If they had of been winning rugby matches and making money they wouldn't be in this position.

M

Moono75

Peks comments just highlight the ineptitude of the Un-Australian Rugby Union and RUPA. And this is supposed to be a professional sporting body? The whole organisation needs to go and take some professional development courses.

Players retiring and having to deal with life after their sporting careers is totally different to have your team just closed down and then the players welfare ignored.....actually I'm wrong....the Force were ignored by the Un-ARU for a long time before they were shut down.

The fact that Matt Hodgson who is a qualified councillor, had to do the bulk of the support work to get the Force playing group through the uncertainty is damning on the Un-ARU and RUPA.

What a bloody indictment on the clowns supposedly running the game. A sham and a shame!!

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Player welfare should be directed at RUPA. They obviously have failed dramatically in this facet. Correct me if i am wrong but big Morgan Turinui launched into RUPA mid culling farce about not one of their representatives physically seeing a player, next moment a few days later one turns up. I am sure it would of been the same situation out West, maybe even worse considering the distance from the head office.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Lets not let his team off the hook either

Pek is 31, at that age he could have been in this situation no matter what happened to the force

Some serious duty of care questions need to be asked about the Force as well here - their 12 year veteran is currently unemployable.

(Also, I am very sympathetic, but the having to move into his investment property stuff made me roll my eyes a bit)

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Agree however I think the Force have come out blameless in this situation. Yesterday was the first time we have heard an omission of guilt regarding the position they have been put in. If they had of been winning rugby matches and making money they wouldn't be in this position.

If you'd like us to take your arguments seriously JC, then I suggest you couch them in proper English.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Re the Senate inquiry, from the West Australian:
"he said by the time mining magnate Andrew Forrest tried to stop the Force shutdown, offering the ARU up to $50 million, it was too late.
“It was pretty well over,” Pulver said. “Had Mr Forrest come into this discussion six months ago and effectively funded our purchase of the Melbourne Rebels licence, it may well have been a very different story.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-...ortfall-in-funding-inquiry-told-ng-b88606075z

Not really much of a process in deciding which team to axe. Am I reading this correctly? Pulver says if Forrest had stumped up with the money earlier than 4 August when Cox completed the Put Option, then the ARU would have used Forrest's money to buy the Rebels from Cox and then closed the Rebels? Is that what he's saying?

T

TOCC

Yes, that's what he is saying, and as we've all become aware, this was never a discussion of who had the most merit being in the comp, rather about who was the easiest/cheapest team to get rid of..

I do question the ARU's motives for acquiring the Western Force IP rights when they did, was this always a long term plan or consideration, and if so, was it ever disclosed to the other party when the agreement was made.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

They had equal wins to the top Aus side this year. They have won more than the Rebels and Reds over the last few years. They have been bailed out but so have the Reds and Tahs. They have recieved less funding in the last few years than the Rebels but the ownership models meant this money hasn't been referred to as a bailout. I'm astounded you still buy into the ARU line about why this was done why it had to be the Force.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
They had equal wins to the top Aus side this year. They have won more than the Rebels and Reds over the last few years. They have been bailed out but so have the Reds and Tahs. They have recieved less funding in the last few years than the Rebels but the ownership models meant this money hasn't been referred to as a bailout. I'm astounded you still buy into the ARU line about why this was done why it had to be the Force.

Over the past 3 years, the Rebels have won more games. The Rebels won 7 games in both 2015 and 2016 before falling in a heap.

Over the past 7 years, I think there is a difference in wins of 1 or 2 between the two teams

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Re the Senate inquiry, from the West Australian:
"he said by the time mining magnate Andrew Forrest tried to stop the Force shutdown, offering the ARU up to $50 million, it was too late.
“It was pretty well over,” Pulver said. “Had Mr Forrest come into this discussion six months ago and effectively funded our purchase of the Melbourne Rebels licence, it may well have been a very different story.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-...ortfall-in-funding-inquiry-told-ng-b88606075z

Not really much of a process in deciding which team to axe. Am I reading this correctly? Pulver says if Forrest had stumped up with the money earlier than 4 August when Cox completed the Put Option, then the ARU would have used Forrest's money to buy the Rebels from Cox and then closed the Rebels? Is that what he's saying?

Might have had to be a bit earlier than that. But if it was prior to Cox's not selling statement then definitely. If afterwards then probably but would have cost more.

I think by July, it was probably way too late.