• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Player welfare should be directed at RUPA. They obviously have failed dramatically in this facet. Correct me if i am wrong but big Morgan Turinui launched into RUPA mid culling farce about not one of their representatives physically seeing a player, next moment a few days later one turns up. I am sure it would of been the same situation out West, maybe even worse considering the distance from the head office.

I though employees welfare was the responsibly of the employer (the ARU & Super Rugby Franchise) in the first place and the Unions place was to provide further supports; if players are members of that association which is not compulsory. All Turinui did was make it clear the ARU and Rebels had no supports in place which they should have had. Turinui naively tripped over at the first hurdle.

WHS: Each person has a duty to ensure their action, or failure to take action, does not harm others. It is part of the work health and safety responsibilities and obligations for employers and employees. It is the employer's responsibility to ensure that employees are safe in the workplace.

T

TOCC

Player welfare should be directed at RUPA. They obviously have failed dramatically in this facet.

No it shouldn't, ARU have a responsibility, RUPA do as well. ARU as the employer are ultimately responsible for employee welfare in circumstances like this. RUPA should be the ones pressuring the ARU to commit more resources to the players.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
No it shouldn't, ARU have a responsibility, RUPA do as well. ARU as the employer are ultimately responsible for employee welfare in circumstances like this. RUPA should be the ones pressuring the ARU to commit more resources to the players.
absolutely, take ithe money out of grassroots funding as those clubs don't need it. Better still place a levy on all junior players so that they can look after the players allegedly inspiring them (if they could see them on tv or meet them at open sessions). Where does the money come from?

T

TOCC

How many ARU employees are also employed by the media organisations that report on the game?

In QLD, Andrew Slack has a column for The Courier Mail, yet he also fills a role as Vice-President at the QRU. Which I find strange when he talks the Reds or selection policies.

John Eales is a ARU board member but has a column in The Australian.

Rod Kafer is employed by the ARU in a high performance role, yet is a commentator on FoxSports and holds prominent roles within the weekly Fox Sports segments.

You also have journos like Brett McKay, who are also employed by the ARU to provide content to Rugby.com.au.

That’s one reason I liked Greg Growden, wasn’t bound by nepotism to report flattering opinions of the ARU.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
McKay isn't employed by the ARU. The same as I'm not employed by fox sports. He's contracts to write articles for them during nrc.

Plus they TRY to act like rugby.com.au as different to the ARU.

Reactions: dru

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Brett McKay is a freelance journo. not an employee. Growden is a gossip columnist.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Brett McKay is a freelance journo. not an employee. Growden is a gossip columnist.

and there is really no excuse good enough for liking him. there may be less coverage since he took himself off to some dark corner of the net but its immeasurably better for his departure

T

TOCC

McKay isn't employed by the ARU. The same as I'm not employed by fox sports. He's contracts to write articles for them during nrc.

Plus they TRY to act like rugby.com.au as different to the ARU.

Ok so he technically isn’t an employee, but he does receive an income from the ARU.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Ok so he technically isn’t an employee, but he does receive an income from the ARU.

He must be the roars lacky too. And he goes on the Gagr podcast so he's our lacky as well. Look up freelance.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Well then where are all the articles critical of the ARU, about the board, how much is being spent in Melb, what is the real debt situation in QLD, how is insolvency looking in 2 years, why isn't the board working with Twiggy, in depth coverage on the Senate enquiry etc etc
Just minor mentions here and there for all of them, no expert or in depth coverage.

T

TOCC

He must be the roars lacky too. And he goes on the Gagr podcast so he's our lacky as well. Look up freelance.

Deny it all you like, but if you’re earning a significant portion of your annual income from an organisation, you’re going to consider what you write and publish about said organisation.

That’s not a dig at McKay, he is a sports journalist whose match reports I enjoy. But I certainly question the content of reporting being published and discussed by the likes of Eales, Slacks and Kearns who often talk about broader issues not limited to just on-field. They’re in a compromising position of being privy to certain information as well as maintaining the integrity of what they’re reporting.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Deny it all you like, but if you’re earning a significant portion of your annual income from an organisation, you’re going to consider what you write and publish about said organisation.

That’s not a dig at McKay, he is a sports journalist whose match reports I enjoy. But I certainly question the content of reporting being published and discussed by the likes of Eales, Slacks and Kearns who often talk about broader issues not limited to just on-field. They’re in a compromising position of being privy to certain information as well as maintaining the integrity of what they’re reporting.

I am aware some organisations may have it it part of their employment conditions. They also have this weird thing that if they pay you money your considered an employee even of you are contracted. Otherwise you would have no control over the contracted thing so in essence you would be paying money but couldn't direct it to actually do anything.

It appears poor Cyclo in part suffers from this applying:

http://www.apsc.gov.au/publications-and-media/current-publications/making-public-comment

IMHO it hard to find a truly independent Jurno here in Oz when it comes to Rugby as most are entrenched in one camp or part. I also think a good indicator is the ratio of opinion pieces and in other reporting either inside, exclusive or "sources"t hat seem to feature or be key in reports.

McKay does pretty good job but he wont bite the hand that feeds him .

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It is worth remembering that the big opposition codes, particularly the AFL actually employ squadrons of “journalists”, I have read claims of up to 100. That not only gives you a lot of media input, it also gives you a lot of bias.

Reactions: mst

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It is worth remembering that the big opposition codes, particularly the AFL actually employ squadrons of “journalists”, I have read claims of up to 100. That not only gives you a lot of media input, it also gives you a lot of bias.

Only if you're getting your news from AFL.com.

T

TOCC

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think the issue is probably a bit broader than just a lack of journos willing to criticise the ARU.

It's a lack of reporters full stop. It takes 1-2 journos just to keep up with the bread and butter of rugby - ins and outs, injuries, signings etc. That's broadly what most people care about.

Nowadays most places don't have the third guy who can write more high level pieces about the state of the game. The Tele doesn't have one. The SMH has Paul Cully, but he's a NZ-based Irishman so not really in a place to do anything.
Growden could do it, because the Herald had journos like Ben Kimber and Georgina Robinson to cover the day-to-day, and Spiro Zavos chipped in as well.

The only guy who gives it a shake now is Wayne Smith in the Oz, mainly because they rely on the wires/other News journos for day-to-day content. But he's not really deep diving into issues, he just ruminates on things that take his fancy.

That's not a shot at the other journos, they are just doing their job. When you follow the team around you just don't have the time or energy to do the type of research-heavy reporting that those sorts of stories require.

We could really do with a Kate McClymont style journo who can dig into annual reports, financial statements and board shenanigans. Reckon they could find a fair bit to write about.

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
We could really do with a Kate McClymont style journo who can dig into annual reports, financial statements and board shenanigans. Reckon they could find a fair bit to write about.
I think Senator Reynolds may be doing a fair bit of that right now