• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
@Baba, BH and Swing.

I just don’t agree. BUT I hope you’re right and I’m wrong. All the best to Kafe.

(Going to hold on to the view that Aus rugby is basically fucked by cronyism, but I guess that doesn’t mean good somewhere comes from it.)

its possible i think he is astute because my analysis is stuck in the 90's also :)

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
young Frost going overseas isn't the end of the world. reading between the lines his old man got him to go to the Cru as it would benefit his development. I am glad he stuck with rugby and didn't go over to AFL. Interesting argument going on the home page about coaching development and casting blokes aside too quickly (Stiles, Mooney). one area that league and afl do better is retaining their IQ with failed head coaches joining other clubs as assistants. would love to see Stiles get a gig at Rebels or 'tahs as a set piece coach with M Foley at the Brums or Reds. as for the appointment of Kafer IMHO Todd Louden may have been a better pick (we will never know) as he has more coaching experience and even wrote a coaching manual for grass roots rugby coaches - very good starting position.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
yes it is bad, its a sad reflection of the state of Australian rugby that young players would rather head off to another country and province to play rugby for the same wage against their own former teammates

Given his father is an employee of the ARU, and has had the role of 'Retention Manager' it is really bad, not much of a vote of confidence in your old man or his employer! When you have that little confidence in your employer, the product you are involved in making where do you start to fix things?

T

TOCC

You can imagine, if his father an ARU insider had anything positive to say about Australian rugby then he wouldn’t have signed with the Crusaders. I can’t blame the kid, smart decision on his behalf, but I can blame the ARU powers that be which have brought us to this position..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Given his father is an employee of the ARU, and has had the role of 'Retention Manager' it is really bad, not much of a vote of confidence in your old man or his employer! When you have that little confidence in your employer, the product you are involved in making where do you start to fix things?
Yes his father understands the inner workings of rugby via his role with the ARU so pretty damming enditement but only telling us what we already know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
You can imagine, if his father an ARU insider had anything positive to say about Australian rugby then he wouldn’t have signed with the Crusaders. I can’t blame the kid, smart decision on his behalf, but I can blame the ARU powers that be which have brought us to this position..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To be fair to his father, there was suppose to be love and happiness earlier this week with Rod Kafers summit and then you read NSW Rugby's submission to the Senate Enquiry and then you realise how dysfunctional rugby in Australia is.

The submission from NSW Rugby is disgraceful, is all about us and we deserve a certain share of the pie because of our size.

Check it out in the link below;

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentar...munity_Affairs/Futureofrugbyunion/Submissions

Contrast this to Rugby WA's appeal for financial help and 'talent equalisation' proposal to the ARU that they have lodge as evidence at the Senate Enquiry. After reading that you understand how Force and Rebels were never going to succeed and to power exercised by NSW & Qld to the detriment of the game.

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentar...fairs/Futureofrugbyunion/Additional_Documents

Open #1. Answers to Questions taken on Notice during 20 September public hearing, received from Rugby WA, 29 September 2017' Also shows you the budget required to run a super team

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well, at least there's no cronyism with the son of an ARU employee getting a contract at a Super Rugby side.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
To be fair to his father, there was suppose to be love and happiness earlier this week with Rod Kafers summit and then you read NSW Rugby's submission to the Senate Enquiry and then you realise how dysfunctional rugby in Australia is.

The submission from NSW Rugby is disgraceful, is all about us and we deserve a certain share of the pie because of our size.

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentar...munity_Affairs/Futureofrugbyunion/Submissions

Contrast this to Rugby WA's appeal for financial help and 'talent equalisation' proposal to the ARU that they have lodge as evidence at the Senate Enquiry. After reading that you understand how Force and Rebels were never going to succeed and to power exercised by NSW & Qld to the detriment of the game.

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentar...fairs/Futureofrugbyunion/Additional_Documents

Open #1. Answers to Questions taken on Notice during 20 September public hearing, received from Rugby WA, 29 September 2017' Also shows you the budget required to run a super team

the reason for the letters is showing that the Force first asked for a loan not an Alliance agreement. Thus showing that it was the ARU who raised an Alliance agreement. This came about because Mr "I don't recall" Pulver said he could not remember the Force just asking for a straight out loan. Thus giving the perception that the Alliance was at the Forces' request. He is as slimy as the rest and up to his neck in it.

T

TOCC

Well, at least there's no cronyism with the son of an ARU employee getting a contract at a Super Rugby side.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I’m don’t think that practicing basic business ethics is the silver lining in this circumstance

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

The Senate enquiry just highlights why Rugby has fallen so far and behind sports like Soccer that professionally at the beginning of the rugby professional era we were way ahead of. Yes and we have got there moreso due to poor strategic decisions made at critical junctures, burecratic ineptitude and incompetent and fragmented leadership (if not dysfunctional leadership) and too much power and self interest by state unions of NSW, QLD, etc which never been addressed head on. I hope any Twiggy money comes with condition that the ARU clean up the game via the appointment of a ball breaker (replace Clyne and a big ball breaker CEO) prepared to take no prisoners and stand up to the various self interested factions (read state unions) who are screwing over national development and growth of our game at all levels for their own self interests and agendas. Whoever they appoint as the next CEO of what is the poison chalice of Australian Rugby will have a tough gig and not really an attractive role except for those who like some tough challenges to deal with. Hope we get a suitable candidate and my thinking is still may be better if have someone with firstly sports administration experience but perhaps someone outside Australian Rugby as we need imo someone prepared to challenge how Australian Rugby is run across all facets (and look to other codes who are just doing it so much better as other codes shown we really are pretty clueless how to run and grow a professional sport as well as manage grass roots). As our experience over last 15 years shown us that and got to where we need to be prepared to challenge the status quo if we are to seriously pull ourselves out of the rather terminal decline rugby has been in this country.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So the latest on the Sydney stadium situation looks to be that an announcement will be made by the state government on Thursday.

Expectation is that the SFS will be demolished and rebuilt commencing late next year and re-opening in 2020 (so only unavailable for the 2019 season).

ANZ Stadium would be rebuilt beginning in 2019 to reopen in 2021.

That would mean that the 2019 season is the one year where both are unavailable. Parramatta would be completed by then though.

If this is what is actually committed to it would seem like a great outcome for sports fans (and a terrible one for taxpayers).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nothing to do with ANZ is good for sports fans. Shocking location for a stadium particularly with Parramatta being built. We just don't need stadiums that big unless it's for Cricket/AFL.
Plus its a criminal misuse of state funds given the rapidly growing shortfall in critical infrastructure.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Dickheads at ARU probably don't think so but it actually presents a good opportunity. It forces their hand to take the game away from the comfort zone. Split the Tahs games between western Sydney and the Central Coast.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nothing to do with ANZ is good for sports fans. Shocking location for a stadium particularly with Parramatta being built. We just don't need stadiums that big unless it's for Cricket/AFL.
Plus its a criminal misuse of state funds giving the rapidly growing shortfall in critical infrastructure.

There's a huge amount of infrastructure being built in NSW now which will run for years. They're certainly making up for the serious underinvestment over the last 20 years.

Dickheads at ARU probably don't think so but it actually presents a good opportunity. It forces their hand to take the game away from the comfort zone. Split the Tahs games between western Sydney and the Central Coast.

Western Sydney certainly, but I don't think the Central Coast is a viable option. It's not a big rugby base at all so would both alienate Sydney fans and achieve little in bringing in new fans.

If this goes ahead, I think the Tahs should play half their games or more at Parramatta in 2019, maybe a couple at North Sydney Oval and maybe a couple at different rural locations. The Central Coast could be one but I think playing it further afield in an actual rural centre would be better for rugby.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah, unfortunately the investment is outpaced by immigration into the city which is at it's highest rate in history. Took me well over an hour on the bus to get to ANZ for the first Bledisloe last year from a Northern location, and the stadium was barely half-full.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Central Coast is on open market whereas Western Sydney is a very saturated and the heartland of our major competitor.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So the latest on the Sydney stadium situation looks to be that an announcement will be made by the state government on Thursday.

Expectation is that the SFS will be demolished and rebuilt commencing late next year and re-opening in 2020 (so only unavailable for the 2019 season).

ANZ Stadium would be rebuilt beginning in 2019 to reopen in 2021.

That would mean that the 2019 season is the one year where both are unavailable. Parramatta would be completed by then though.

If this is what is actually committed to it would seem like a great outcome for sports fans (and a terrible one for taxpayers).

Geez the ARU headquarters will be noisy...might have to relocate