• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
This is also great news - our school programs seem to be working well: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...he-pack-in-school-sports-20171211-h02w96.html

you beat me to it barbarian as was just about to post the link myself. Good news indeed moving from 28 out of 32 in school sports (ouch.....saids it all) to now being back in top 10. Top 5 would be next goal and converting those government school participants into rugby pathways beyond that....and not league please....

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Got to wish Castle all the best. Appointment dodges certain issues yhat were not going to be good.

Still bothered about the Board, biggest problem right now.

Also going forward we may need to allow NZRU to look after themselves if their path continues to not suit Australia. Massive effort needed now on building relationships and looking to the stakeholders, especially those who have been ignored or pushed. (Starts with WA and SRU).

FIngers crossed, I'll start hoping for the best.

Hope she has the strength.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
just listened to the press conference I thought Raelene spoke well...chosen for her sports administration, commercial marketing and fresh set of eyes...

Agree. Liked the way she spoke (no ego) and her message was grounded. Has me a little excited.

Compare it with the Pulver announcement, which is tough to not judge harshly in hindsight, but focuses so much on his rugby 'pedigree '

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
RA have announced the formation of a national women's 15s competition to run alongside Super Rugby called "Super W". It will feature teams from the four remaining Super Rugby franchises and wait for it. WA as well.

Will only run over a 6 week period. Which is a start I guess. But it would be awesome to see it grow to two full rounds and perhaps look to include either the Aus. Defence Force team (that feature in the national championships) or Sth Australia. Potentially even a similar set up to that of the Drua with their women's team.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
What's also interesting but I don't think has been mentioned yet:

The ARU (fuck this Rugby Australia rebrand) included (presumably, given their comments) the NSWRU, QRU, VRU and ACTRU in the interview process for Castle and she was their preferred choice.

Hopefully this will ease inter-state conflict and drive further collaboration within the Australian game.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I was going to put a gif of Bart Simpson and Testify but god damn this site and its issues. Anyway, with everything Paul says in that interview I have to wonder if he may be at least somewhat familiar with this place.

BeneficialDefiantHagfish-max-1mb.gif

To insert a IMG or GIF in HTML use the following code (enclose in < > ):

img src="url"

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wow pretty much agree with everything Jeremy Paul saids. Great interview.

We need to clean out the RA as he says and put more business savvy and sports administration savvy people in there place and also as he saids recognise that twiggy Forrest is the frank Lowry of rugby and look what he did for soccer that until he arrived was going no where like Union.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

The ARU (fuck this Rugby Australia rebrand) included (presumably, given their comments) the NSWRU, QRU, VRU and ACTRU in the interview process for Castle and she was their preferred choice.

Hopefully this will ease inter-state conflict and drive further collaboration within the Australian game.
More to the point Michael castle can not be accused of any state bias or political connections so she can better stand up to the state unions who also need to be put in their place re: read nsw and qld unions in particular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

but what if they each met with her and the board separately and thought they were the only union being canvassed?

T

TOCC

Haven't always been a fan of Jeremy Paul, but its good to see someone speaking their mind on the aru without a glaring conflict of interest:

1. Get rid of everyone on the board and administration
2. Bring in influential figures to the game... i.e welcome Twiggy Forrest with open arms
3. Improve the QPR/SS but NRC is pivotal to future of Australian Rugby

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Haven't always been a fan of Jeremy Paul, but its good to see someone speaking their mind without a conflict of interest:

1. Get rid of everyone on the board and administration
2. Bring in influential figures to the game. i.e welcome Twiggy Forrest with open arms
3. Improve the QPR/SS but NRC is pivotal to future of Australian Rugby

TOCC, you just beat me too it. Add in Jeremy Paul's starting position - Castle is a good appointment given how poor it could have been, but it's too early to suggest she is either good or bad. Time will out.

I was also amused by him biting the hand that feeds him in terms of his attitude to the Sky team and their relationship to the ARU board. His issue with QPR and SRU was that but also a broader - GET INVOLVED WITH THE STAKEHOLDERS! noting that SRU and QPR are two big ones.

Jeremy, if you are indeed here under alias - PM me, I'll be descrete. I'd like to buy you a beer.

T

TOCC

While Twiggy has said some great things I’ll believe he’s the second coming when he actually makes an investment in the game, I don’t see this Indo Pacific thing coming off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Besides whether this IPRC thing comes off, how much money does he need to invest before people start recognising the fact that he has actually paid a significant sum into the game already, not only were Fortescue a sponsor of the Western Force for years he also just committed $2million to RugbyWA so that they can remain at their RugbyHQ in Perth, and has committed to re-establishing the Future Force Academy of full-time contracts for both men and women with full-time support staff so that a development pathway actually remains for players in the state.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
While Twiggy has said some great things I’ll believe he’s the second coming when he actually makes an investment in the game, I don’t see this Indo Pacific thing coming off.
To believe in a second coming, you have to believe in a first. :)

What's sort of threshold would constitute an investment in the game … i.e. would $10,000 get you out of bed, supermodel style … or does it need six figures and up?

And, if the Indo Pac doesn't happen, what are you seeing as the cause?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
He just slayed the entire Foxsports commentator panel and basically said that their ability to objectively comment on Rugby Australia was compromised due to a conflict of interest between themselves and RA.
Exactly, it's controversial. That's was NEWS Ltd love.

They'll probably give him his own show.