• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
To believe in a second coming, you have to believe in a first. :)

What's sort of threshold would constitute an investment in the game … i.e. would $10,000 get you out of bed, supermodel style … or does it need six figures and up?

And, if the Indo Pac doesn't happen, what are you seeing as the cause?
His figure was $50million. I’m not saying he isn’t doing more than most. I think his alignment is with Rugby WA and that is where his money will go. I don’t think he is the savior for RA, although as mentioned by Paul that will be Castles challenge, to bring him into the fold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
His figure was $50million.

Yeah? I think that was "up to $50m", although it was certainly tens of millions. That was dependent on the Force being retained. It wasn't an unconditional open offer or a running line of credit.

Unfortunately for the ARU, it was de-Clyned.

The opportunity now is for the IPRC. Will the ARU/RA cock a snoot again?

I really think Clyne and his board cronies now need to depart the scene.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
have those left as follows who have not had new homes / plans confirmed:
So just going through what is left of Force squad not yet allocated...don't know where else to put this...

Props - Cowan ...
Hookers - Scoble, Tessman
Locks - Onehunga Havili, Ben Matwijow
Loose forwards: Angus Cottrell (apparently training with Rebels but no announcement yet), Kane Koteka (as per AC comment), Ben McCalman , Brynard Stander
Scrum-halves: Ryan Louwrens, Ian Prior, Mitch Short
Fly-halves: Peter Grant
Centres: Marcel Brache, Curtis Rona
Wingers: Robbie Coleman

Anyone got any updates on the above....

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
While Twiggy has said some great things I’ll believe he’s the second coming when he actually makes an investment in the game, I don’t see this Indo Pacific thing coming off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maybe I misunderstood - happy to be corrected if I did - bu I thought one of the things that came out of the court transcripts was that Twiggy offered a cheque with a hell of a lot of zeros and Clyne said 'nah mate - we're right'.

I thought that was the point of what Paul was saying - Twiggy put money on the table, it was the ARU that passed on it. It remains to me one of the most confusing and damning occurrences of this whole sorry saga.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Maybe I misunderstood - happy to be corrected if I did - bu I thought one of the things that came out of the court transcripts was that Twiggy offered a cheque with a hell of a lot of zeros and Clyne said 'nah mate - we're right'.

I thought that was the point of what Paul was saying - Twiggy put money on the table, it was the ARU that passed on it. It remains to me one of the most confusing and damning occurrences of this whole sorry saga.

So many strings attached to that cheque it may as well have been a spider web.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Who ever decided to let the state chairman involved in interviews didn't want Kearns. Way too NSW focused for them to approve. Hope Castle does a great job. I would love to know the KPI's assigned to the role. Hopefully she places emphasis on growing participation rather than the whole show about short term Wallaby success and gets the support of the board for that.( board change is too much to ask) Must say though that on reading some old press articles that quote her as saying she flunked accounting so switched her study to communications ( read that as spin doctoring) I get nervous.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
So many strings attached to that cheque it may as well have been a spider web.
Again, I am working from my memory/interpretation so I may be wrong, but I thought Clyne counter offered (va Geoff Stooke), Forrest essentially met all the terms of the counter offer and Clyne dispatched 2 other board members to still decline the cheque. So whatever strings were attached Clyne had some input into them.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Pretty sure one of the press pieces quoted Castles relationship with Tew (built apparently via the NZ Netball thing) as one of the strengths in her favour.

I don’t see it that way.

Australia seriously needs to get focussed on Australia with respect to professional rugby. This may or may not involve continued partnership with NZ. Or more accurately will always have a preference to partner NZ, but we may need to put Aus first and if NZ fit then good.

Too many strings with Tew, I don’t want to see a continued sycophantic ARU.

And we VERY well may need a B Plan that calls out the NZ bluster.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If “reconnecting with rugby’s stakeholders” starts with NZRU over RWA, SRU and QPR, the game here is not moving forward other than within the long standing top-down model.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
She was asked about her knowledge of nz ru and whether she could bring any of that knowledge to RA.

she replied that NZRU, NZ cricket and NZ netball all had a very close working relationship, particularly around high performance.

I haven't seen any mention, other than on forums, about her being appointed to fix the relationship with NZ.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Pretty sure one of the press pieces quoted Castles relationship with Tew (built apparently via the NZ Netball thing) as one of the strengths in her favour.

I don’t see it that way.

Australia seriously needs to get focussed on Australia with respect to professional rugby. This may or may not involve continued partnership with NZ. Or more accurately will always have a preference to partner NZ, but we may need to put Aus first and if NZ fit then good.

Too many strings with Tew, I don’t want to see a continued sycophantic ARU.

And we VERY well may need a B Plan that calls out the NZ bluster.

Working relationships with the head of other unions is a negative eh? And here i was thinking working relationships with other people in my industry was key to my success.

Been doing it wrong. Cheers for the tip.