• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Settle down pretty darlings. It was a joke. I actually like the appointment as it breaks away from the inner circle traditional wankeraty. Having an outside perspective is what I have been calling for.

Tounge in cheek does not speak to Miss Castles ability, just that she is a dead ringer look a like of the Vicar of Dibly.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Looking forward to the coming announcement that the state government will be throwing 40 million at Super clubs, like they are the NRL teams....

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Who ever decided to let the state chairman involved in interviews didn't want Kearns. Way too NSW focused for them to approve. Hope Castle does a great job. I would love to know the KPI's assigned to the role. Hopefully she places emphasis on growing participation rather than the whole show about short term Wallaby success and gets the support of the board for that.( board change is too much to ask) Must say though that on reading some old press articles that quote her as saying she flunked accounting so switched her study to communications ( read that as spin doctoring) I get nervous.

Because the ARU's accounting has always been reliable? she's of an age when you had to remember that an increase in an asset was a debit - or was it a credit?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Most realise that magic is in fact just illusion. About 12 months ago the Buildcorp money was still not enough for the the ARU to be able to launch a Women' s 15 comp due to financial issues. Now all of a sudden they can. For the record I support the evolution of the women's game. IIRC Foxsports wears the NRC broadcast cost that is about $5mil. Compliments of the ABC.

Attn: Fox Sports

Cc: Mitch Fifield, Communications Minister

Subject: $30m

Dear Fox Sports,

Isn't it great when there's so much choice for pressies to give yourself at Christmas!

Back in May, you were given a handy $30 million of taxpayers' money in the Budget.

It was to "support the broadcast of underrepresented sports on subscription television, including women's sports, niche sports, and sports with a high level of community involvement and participation".

And we've been waiting to see what you could spend it on. So many sports, so deserving of attention.

And we've been waiting.

An FOI request from the ABC couldn't turn up any documentation from the Federal Government preceding the decision to hand out those millions, even though it involved taxpayer money given to a private company.

Then... thanks Santa! Rugby league last week, and, now, rugby union, have popped up with fully-fledged plan to launch women's leagues next year. The women in those leagues certainly deserve a bit of the attention that money could buy.

We're still waiting on word from the Government on what you actually need to do with that money, any accountability measures, benchmarks of success.

A spokesperson for Communications Minister Mitch Fifield has told us "the grant guidelines are close to being finalised and the Government expects to be in a position to make them public before the end of 2017". So we have a couple of weeks.

So, are you able to tell us now what you will do with the money?

Otherwise, taxpayers will want to know what's happened to their hard-earned cash. Because there are lots of good causes — many women's and niche sports — who are due some attention. Even without any Christmas charity.

Yours,

Mary Gearin

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-14/an-open-letter-to-fox-sports-on-that-30m-grant/9257418

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Most realise that magic is in fact just illusion. About 12 months ago the Buildcorp money was still not enough for the the ARU to be able to launch a Women' s 15 comp due to financial issues. Now all of a sudden they can. For the record I support the evolution of the women's game. >

In the year that they launched the Women's 7s Series it seemed like a rough criticism to me that they weren't also launching a National Women's XVs comp. I don't think anyone would argue against the face that 7s is the main game for women's rugby at the moment and that is the area they are achieving the biggest growth. Whereas for men it has always been the opposite it seems like growth in women's XVs is likely to be achieved by leveraging off the 7s game and they have gone about it the right way. Maybe Buildcorp would have been acquiesced if the plan and schedule had been laid out at the time of when each competition would be launched.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^ I think the point your missing is that RA had no intention nor plan to run a women's 15. The above $30mil was handed over in May. Buildcorps sponsorship of the NRC was withdrawn in June after the ARU publicly stated that it had no intentions.

I would suggest that this intuitive may have been driven from the Foxsports side and the RA nothinmg more that the convenient recipient . of a gift jointly paid for by Buildcorp and the Federal Government** (via Foxsports). [**do RA need to demonstrating the good use of Federal funding by any chance?]

In other circles its called opportunistic marketing to the naive minions to get a cheap and convenient PR win and a distraction.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/a33d0b6c0b29168b0cb67976315e6d8a

T

TOCC

I’m one of the ARU’s biggest critics, but I don’t think they stated that they had no intention for a women’s XVs tournament, rather they stated they were unable to commit to a women’s NRC competition, which is what Josephine was asking for at the time, and based on rough estimates of costs I still don’t believe the ARU have the finances to support a W-NRC. Not to mention the time frame wills have directly clashed with the AON 7s.

Super W makes far better sense, brand recognition of the Super Rugby teams should make sponsorship opportunities better, the lesser number of teams and shorter season improves the economic feasibility of it in its initial phase and the window of the Super W will allow some of the AON 7s players to play in both tournaments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
^^ I think the point your missing is that RA had no intention nor plan to run a women's 15. The above $30mil was handed over in May. Buildcorps sponsorship of the NRC was withdrawn in June after the ARU publicly stated that it had no intentions.

In other circles its called opportunistic marketing to the naive minions to get a cheap and convenient PR win and a distraction.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/a33d0b6c0b29168b0cb67976315e6d8a

How can you say that RA had no intention to commence a Women's XVs comp? They said they had no plans for XVs in 2017 as they were launching the 7s. They have now launched a women's XVs comp to commence next year. What does the $30m have to do with RA? That was basically a slush fund payment from the government to the portion of Foxtel 100% owned by News Limited with absolutely no strings attached.

T

TOCC

Women’s sport is a rapidly evolving market, with government grants and broadcast $$ opening up opportunities, its going to continue evolving at an incredible pace for another few years.

Again I’ve been incredibly critical of the ARU in recent years(rightfully so IMO), however the women’s area is one part of the game that they are heading in the right direction, yes its far from perfect but it’s not completely broken like the men’s portion of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I agree with you TOCC. I think the Women's side does represent a good investment (more so than the mens) and its a big positive.

I think what irks me is again the lack of transparency on how outside factors (AKA the funding by Josephine and Foxtel via the Government grant) have assisted to make it possible (whist RA lays claims to the win). I also wonder if the timing of the announcement in association with other events does make it look rather reactionary and raises the question of it the cutting of the Force also paid for this.

But overall its a good thing.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I agree with you TOCC. I think the Women's side does represent a good investment (more so than the mens) and its a big positive.

I think what irks me is again the lack of transparency on how outside factors (AKA the funding by Josephine and Foxtel via the Government grant) have assisted to make it possible (whist RA lays claims to the win). I also wonder if the timing of the announcement in association with other events does make it look rather reactionary and raises the question of it the cutting of the Force also paid for this.

But overall its a good thing.

Its obvious to all but the blind and the politically correct that a women's comp at this level is not an organically based or self supporting proposition

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Wow the moderators let that through! I see another rebels player off to Europe due to the saturation of force players - and a major sponsor coming through soon too to clean up things on the funding end

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
..and a major sponsor coming through soon too to clean up things on the funding end

That is great news for RA and the game in general.

The money the the Vic Government paid RA to use to help pay the way for the Rebels could be off-set marginally by the alleged new sponsorship. But most likely that will be consumed by covering the salary cap overspend .

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I have to say this Raelene Castle is certainly impressing me with the things she saying, etc. I know critics will say it all just talk, but that's all she is able to do at this stage, and she appears to talk very intelligently, with what seems pretty well thought out comments.
Am I getting a bit previous to feel hopeful she will do some good stuff?