• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Dunno, Thorn has been in the job for 2 months now. must be about time the Reds consider a new coach?? On a more serious note he must be referring to Gibson, although strange timing indeed, even more ridiculous then the QRU's decision on Stiles/Thorn.

Gibson should have been gone halfway through last season. What he has going for himself is that he is the type of passive, non-entity preferred by the NSWRU, much in the Hickey/Foley mould.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Gibson should have been gone halfway through last season. What he has going for himself is that he is the type of passive, non-entity preferred by the NSWRU, much in the Hickey/Foley mould.

Where does Chubby Cheika fit into the spectrum? What about Link??? I know I am biased, but Hickey deserved a shot, based on his achievements at lower levels, shirley?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Where does Chubby Cheika fit into the spectrum? What about Link??? I know I am biased, but Hickey deserved a shot, based on his achievements at lower levels, shirley?

If you remember, they got rid of Link despite his success to bring in Hickey/Foley. Hickey probably did deserve the initial appointment based on SS success (but Link shouldn't have been punted to bring him in). It became obvious fairly quickly that Hickey wasn't up to it. We still haven't brought the fans back who left in droves during the disastrous Hickey/Foley period. (It was at this time that crowds were so low that the NSWRU couldn't post the figures because of technical difficulties) Cheika was a last throw of the dice appointment - if you remember the NSWRU board actually reappointed Foley for the year, but he saw the writing on the wall and bailed out to the Force very late in the piece (after having signed players who Cheika had to then use).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I am not defending some or many of their decisions (with the benefit of hindsight) but I wonder what the real life alternatives were in some of those situations?

I reckon John Manenti would have been a pretty good coach at the next level up, but then again, he had other fish to fry, I think he was quite happy running his business and doing a bit of coaching on the side.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Dunno, Thorn has been in the job for 2 months now. must be about time the Reds consider a new coach?? On a more serious note he must be referring to Gibson, although strange timing indeed, even more ridiculous then the QRU's decision on Stiles/Thorn.

its not like we've seen any improvement in their results since he was appointed and as for Gibson he's had a lack lustre off season that's for sure

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
(It was at this time that crowds were so low that the NSWRU couldn't post the figures because of technical difficulties

didn't know how to insert a decimal point??? I am intrigued by your description of Foley as passive: my info was that he was THE most political machiavellian person in rugby who was always setting people up and planning his moves well ahead - a proposition borne out by my dim recollection of the speed with which he left to work his particular brand of dark magic on the force
Maybe passive was the way he coached, spending most of his time on background intrigues

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am not defending some or many of their decisions (with the benefit of hindsight) but I wonder what the real life alternatives were in some of those situations?

I reckon John Manenti would have been a pretty good coach at the next level up, but then again, he had other fish to fry, I think he was quite happy running his business and doing a bit of coaching on the side.

I suspect Cheika would have beaten all-comers to the job: prodigal son; track record. Easier to appoint than overlook. In fairness, through gritted teeth, he did manage what no one before or since has: whatever one draws from that fact........

T

TOCC

Ed Jenkins has some parting words for Rugby Australia over their attitude towards the 7's program:

"I don't know if I should be saying this but I think it needs people up the top to take it seriously,"

"I think a lot of people don't actually know what we do and how professional we are about what we do. I think they turn on the TV and see a big party in the stadiums ... little do they know the work and hours we put in every week to be out there playing and being competitive.

"A lot of countries are pouring a lot of money into their programs now and we're struggling to keep up with them. If we don't take it seriously we're never going to get results and that's frustrating. Being in the sport for 10 years I thought it might have changed a bit after the Olympics. Maybe it's just not happening as fast as I would like, but if I had it my way I'd change a few things."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...lwart-ed-jenkins-retires-20180115-h0iklo.html

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sevens at the amateur level needs to be taken seriously. It's the perfect sport to be able to introduce Aussie Rules and League players to a form of our game, but unless you are apart of a club (which only have about two tournaments a year) its near impossible to play. I'd love to see it introduced at non rugby playing schools as a sporting option for inter school sport on a weekly basis.
Ive played for 20 years from Queensland Prem level to Dewar shield to 3rd grade and i can honestly count the amount of tournaments iv been apart of on my hands.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sevens at the amateur level needs to be taken seriously. It's the perfect sport to be able to introduce Aussie Rules and League players to a form of our game, but unless you are apart of a club (which only have about two tournaments a year) its near impossible to play. I'd love to see it introduced at non rugby playing schools as a sporting option for inter school sport on a weekly basis.
Ive played for 20 years from Queensland Prem level to Dewar shield to 3rd grade and i can honestly count the amount of tournaments iv been apart of on my hands.

150kg frontrowers aren't the usual 7s type :)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It's the elephant in the room isn't it?

There's very little inherant demand at any level in the game (including pros), for more sevens to be played or watched.

It doesn't look like it's going to grow organically from the grass roots, so once again we rely on RA to fund, promote, organise etc with money and effort from the top

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Think I saw QC (Quade Cooper) parked down the back of the car park. Win win - cost saver and frees up a roster spot!

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's not just the rugby fans in WA......
Excellent feedback today from Hans Sauer, President of Rugby WA:

"It would be naïve for Ms Castle to believe that we will ever be able to forgive or forget. Naturally we don't have any axe to grind with her, the slate can never be wiped clean. For the next 100 generations 2017 will always remain as the darkest period in Australian Rugby, where the word UNION was ignored, where the custodians of the game trashed the ethos, the centuries old worldwide tradition of respect, transparency, collaboration and trust. Where the managing organisation showed total lack of leadership.

Ms Castle, we don't hold you responsible, but your organisation we do. You must as your first act to move forward is to hold a reconciliation meeting. You and your board need to hear from us how the decisions and actions of 2017 destroyed aspirations, trust and support. It's not for your board or organisation to tell us to get over it, it's not for you to tell us to suck it up and move on. Our feelings are controlled by us. Just as you can never make us feel happy or sad. Your board needs to sit up and listen to what their actions led to. Similarly I imagine most other unions have similar points to make. Yup, let's have a truth and reconciliation session, let us feel that your board hears us, until that time they do not have our respect.

The ARU board and Bill Pulver will go down in history as the board that betrayed their own, destroyed their children, acted outside the ethos of our code. Long after we are all watching or playing the game in heaven, this dark period and those involved will be remembered for all of the wrong reasons.

Well may your board say they cut us adrift for the greater good of the game. The process was unconscionable and may even be proven to have been illegal, you never engaged with us, the Force team playing under the Rebels banner may beat a kiwi team in 2018, they may even top the Australian Conference, but they will not win the competition."

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^^^

FF (Folau Fainga'a), that's a well written letter or what ever it was.

I would add that the current board cannot even remotely win back either trust or ever hope to broker a peace deal.

The Bean Counter mentally, coupled the slavish desire to met the wants and desires of a failing US media company at the expense of say Eastern States club rugby and in WA union in general has hurt rugby to the point that outside rugby we are considered a joke.

Its laughable nay sad actually how any bit of good news is flashed up as support and as has been discussed on this thread only 7's womens is holding the line but overall we are in decline.

Ms Castle will be held back by the board that appointed her such is the miss-trust of the board.

Slightly off topic but was speaking to an AFL fan client last week and he was bemused by the change of name to Aussie Rules . We know it stands for Australian Rugby but in the general language of Australian culture especially in the southern states AR means Aussie Rules.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slightly off topic but was speaking to an AFL fan client last week and he was bemused by the change of name to Aussie Rules . We know it stands for Australian Rugby but in the general language of Australian culture especially in the southern states AR means Aussie Rules.

Is your fan client dyslexic?

AR????

It's RA, innit?

It sure is.........