• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Now I not having a go at the RA board,(didn't know where to put this), but was interested to see Eddie Jones had had his contract extended to 2021, with a new coach probably being appointed to work with him for 2021. It perhaps shows that a well run Rugby board can plan etc for future and I think will help make the Pommy team and rugby run smoothly during the next few years, I know it is similar to what NZRU have done with Shag Hansen, indicating that next coach will be known probably before 2019 WC so new coach can work in with present set up.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Now I not having a go at the RA board,(didn't know where to put this), but was interested to see Eddie Jones had had his contract extended to 2021, with a new coach probably being appointed to work with him for 2021. It perhaps shows that a well run Rugby board can plan etc for future and I think will help make the Pommy team and rugby run smoothly during the next few years, I know it is similar to what NZRU have done with Shag Hansen, indicating that next coach will be known probably before 2019 WC so new coach can work in with present set up.

e41ee1acb734f3e564130ed9669a359e

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The big difference is that the Soap Dodgers can afford to put Eyebrows Eddie on a long, lucrative contract, which is undoubtedly far more attractive than anything he could get elsewhere, and could also afford to pay him out at the drop of a hat if they wanted to. Will he survive until 2021? I hae me doots.

We have to count our pennies.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
The big difference is that the Soap Dodgers can afford to put Eyebrows Eddie on a long, lucrative contract, which is undoubtedly far more attractive than anything he could get elsewhere, and could also afford to pay him out at the drop of a hat if they wanted to. Will he survive until 2021? I hae me doots.

I thought the big difference was Eddie is successful and had a successful set-up you'd want the next coach to learn about?

Anyhow Larkham is in our set-up so the mediocrity continuity plan is in place.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
It's not just the rugby fans in WA..
Excellent feedback today from Hans Sauer, President of Rugby WA:

"It would be naïve for Ms Castle to believe that we will ever be able to forgive or forget. Naturally we don't have any axe to grind with her, the slate can never be wiped clean. For the next 100 generations 2017 will always remain as the darkest period in Australian Rugby, where the word UNION was ignored, where the custodians of the game trashed the ethos, the centuries old worldwide tradition of respect, transparency, collaboration and trust. Where the managing organisation showed total lack of leadership.

Ms Castle, we don't hold you responsible, but your organisation we do. You must as your first act to move forward is to hold a reconciliation meeting. You and your board need to hear from us how the decisions and actions of 2017 destroyed aspirations, trust and support. It's not for your board or organisation to tell us to get over it, it's not for you to tell us to suck it up and move on. Our feelings are controlled by us. Just as you can never make us feel happy or sad. Your board needs to sit up and listen to what their actions led to. Similarly I imagine most other unions have similar points to make. Yup, let's have a truth and reconciliation session, let us feel that your board hears us, until that time they do not have our respect.

The ARU board and Bill Pulver will go down in history as the board that betrayed their own, destroyed their children, acted outside the ethos of our code. Long after we are all watching or playing the game in heaven, this dark period and those involved will be remembered for all of the wrong reasons.

Well may your board say they cut us adrift for the greater good of the game. The process was unconscionable and may even be proven to have been illegal, you never engaged with us, the Force team playing under the Rebels banner may beat a kiwi team in 2018, they may even top the Australian Conference, but they will not win the competition."
He certainly has a flair for the melodramatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Besides New Zealand, these succession plans rarely work. Eddie is a polarising character, not sure the next anointed one wants to serve two years under his reign.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

I realise that money comes into it Wamberal, and I not saying Aus should have Chuckles locked in that long etc, just in most cases Wallaby coach seems to be appointed after last coach has left, and I wonder if there could be a bit more of a succession plan in place. Seems it could add stability to me.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I realise that money comes into it Wamberal, and I not saying Aus should have Chuckles locked in that long etc, just in most cases Wallaby coach seems to be appointed after last coach has left, and I wonder if there could be a bit more of a succession plan in place. Seems it could add stability to me.

Stability at a low quality? Look, Cheika will end up following E Jones, if he sticks with it. Not really achieving much while inn the roll, but testing plenty of theories and gradually becoming better at what he does. Ultimately for another nation to take the benefit. A nation that looks to purchase capable coaches AFTER they are developed and proven. Bernie follows the same route, potential pushed forward too soon. The biggest improvement, longer term, would be looking to the grass roots and development pathways. Applies to coaches (and officials and referees) as much as to players.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)

A succession plan would require the existing coaching staff to mentor and guide lower level coaches and I'm not saying Chieka isn't up to that, but so far, it seems to be his way or the highway and he doesn't take passengers

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

It's a criticism you could make of Australia (and England) over the last decade or so, but it does seem to be odd to criticize them now when they clearly have a plan in place -> Bernie.

T

TOCC

Having a plan doesn't make it a good plan..

Its fine to have a succession plan if your country is producing high quality coaches consistently, but Australian isn't doing that. Larhkam in my opinion still needs to go a few more rounds coaching in other environments outside of Australia before he gets promoted to Wallabies coach.

Even the NZRU, with their production line of coaches look favourably on those who have coached overseas. The last 3 All Blacks Coaches(Mitchell, Hansen and Henry) all spent more time overseas coaching then they did in Super Rugby, and they all earned test coaching experience in other countries before their promotion to the All Blacks.

Eddie Jones left Australia in miserable circumstances but that experience and the extra experience he has picked up with South Africa and Japan along the way has made him better coach.

I'd prefer someone like Matt Taylor be brought back into the Australian coaching set-up ahead of the likes of Nathan Grey.. And before we get the "Oh but is he even interested", I'm just pointing out that i think international coaching experience is valuable, and i don't agree with the recent mentality of fast-tracking coaching purely because they are Australian based.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Thats ridiculous. How could RA possibly know when some scandal enveloping coaching and/or playing staff is going to erupt and bring the incumbent's reign to an end thrusting the understudy too early into the job? We need to be flexible so we can employe your rejects.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought the big difference was Eddie is successful and had a successful set-up you'd want the next coach to learn about?

Anyhow Larkham is in our set-up so the mediocrity continuity plan is in place.

I think larkham judged harshly given how long been coaching and record. But then again I think people over estimate what cheika and co can do when you have your professional Super Rugby teams performing generally so woeful. Ok larkham coached brumbies but they topped oz conference and given exodus of players I thought before that they would be no where near top performing oz team.

Yes I am ok with larkham being groomed for wallabies gig with assumption he continues to improve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Larkham should be groomed, but he should not be anointed. A couple of other coaches should also be in the mix. Cron is a real outsider, but gee he has been impressive at club level.

Wessels of course.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
RN, I too am hoping Larkham continues to improve as a coach. His time in charge of the Brumbies wasn't what you might call outstanding, but as you say, he did take them to the top of the Aussie conference once or twice. But, it is his more recent involvement with the Wallabies that I think holds a fair bit of promise. There is no doubt that he has introduced a few good attacking moves in the Wallabies' backline play, especially at set piece. I think there are signs that he is developing, and I actually wonder if that is as easy as it might sound under a head coach like Cheika who seems to want everything to go his way. All the appearances are that the Assistant Coaches have very little influence over team selections and game plans. In a nutshell, we could probably do a lot worse than Larkham when Cheika moves on.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Larkham should be groomed, but he should not be anointed. A couple of other coaches should also be in the mix. Cron is a real outsider, but gee he has been impressive at club level.

Wessels of course.

Here is a little snip from the PR bored - related to South African coaching situation

Most of our overseas based coaches aren't worth writing home about either

Gary Gold - Poor

Jimmy Stonehouse - No top level experience

Frans Ludeke - Poor

Dawie Theron - Poor

Andre Tredoux - ???

David Wessels - One year at Super Rugby level

Johan Ackermann - Not in SARU's sights

Jake White - Not in SARU's sights J

Just note in passing that Wessels is not forgoten over there. And also note the assessment - too green. @rugbynutter I don't have a problem with Larkham and him being groomed for the role. I DO have a problem with the chosen pathway. Which is a gift. The skeptic would say a gift from the old boys network. It also left the Brumbies with less strength and took him away from a really good development pathway.

T

TOCC

Wessels of course.

I agree with your first part about Larkham...but Cron is at least 6 years away from having the minimum experience necessary to coach the Wallabies.
Wessels also looks promising, but again, still years short of having the necessary experience IMO.

RA should be looking to bring some overseas based coaches home to inject some new coaching philosphy’s and experience back into the system.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Pocock was ready for Super Rugby at the age of 17.

There is absolutely no reason why a very gifted coach could not be ready for higher honours sooner than you say.

There is something special about Cron, who knows how quickly he will be ready for higher honours.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Headline and first line from yesterday's article from Georgina Robinson

With friends like these.....

Sydney 7s: Sevens suffers cultural cringe but it's nothing like the rugby you love to hate

Let us be frank. The very best thing about the Sydney Sevens is that it is nothing like normal rugby.

This needs to be said, not because the code needs its shortcomings pointed out any more in the news media after last year's painful trajectory, but because sevens in Australia is suffering from a cultural cringe of sorts.