• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

T

TOCC

I am a CPA, for what that's worth. Criticise away, draw big conclusions from limited data, enjoy yourselves all you like.

I really am not interested in discussing "vibes". I will stick with hard facts. And to understand the real position of any corporation takes work, expertise, and importantly, access to all the data. Not just the pretty pictures.

Get off your high horse, already in this thread you have made speculative claims which were proven wrong by hard facts.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Have you seen some of the "alternative" spellings for names on this forum? Not sure that's one we can get on our high horse about
2E54680B-8CEF-43A7-A978-6531025542A6.gif

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I am a CPA, for what that's worth. Criticise away, draw big conclusions from limited data, enjoy yourselves all you like.

I really am not interested in discussing "vibes". I will stick with hard facts. And to understand the real position of any corporation takes work, expertise, and importantly, access to all the data. Not just the pretty pictures.

Judging by your posting history,supporting the unsupportable.I had you pegged as a lobbyist for the cigarette industry.
My bad.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You gotta love how they go by 'CPA' rather than just accountant. I think that makes me a 'RLATPLINSW' (Registered lawyer able to practice law in New South Wales).

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
You gotta love how they go by 'CPA' rather than just accountant. I think that makes me a 'RLATPLINSW' (Registered lawyer able to practice law in New South Wales).

To be fair, there are a few different breeds of accountant, Chartered Accountant, CPA, IPA, etc and we all like to differentiate and think we're different from the rest (I'm a CA by the way). But this is getting off topic........

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Brave, Commercial Foolish, or whatever. Aust V Irl in Melbourne

The match is in Melbourne and is being played 1 against the Socceroo's WC opening match, 2 against an AFL game a couple of blocks away.

Why not move it to an afternoon game, and we have know about the clashes for months.

From The Age, the Head line reads;- Wallabies will go head to head with Socceroos' World Cup opener

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/rug...cceroos-world-cup-opener-20180320-p4z5bn.html

Rugby Australia will resist calls to move a Wallabies fixture in June against Ireland because of a kick-off clash with the Socceroos’ first FIFA World Cup match in Russia.

Compounding the problem is the Hawthorn-Adelaide AFL clash at the neighbouring Melbourne Cricket Ground at the same time, which is likely to pull a sizeable crowd.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The above fixture to be the first Wallabies game to defy the laws of space and time and have a negative attendance.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
A 4pm kick off would be way more handy for the average fan.

Watch the Wallabies match & then stroll off to the MCG or to the pub for dinner followed by the Socceroos.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Is this possibly locked up as part of the Vic Government / ARU / Rebels funding arrangement?

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
RA only markets to existing rugby supporters who probably would watch the Wallaby v Ireland game ahead of soccer and ahead of AFl. And therein lies a part of their problem - they are not attracting new viewers or new potential bums on seats in the stadium. They seem to have no action plan that would make it an attractive night out for anyone but an existing rugby fan. I go to the games, and I love having a beer in Richmond before the game and mixing it with the afl crowd and it has an exciting atmosphere, but then I'm already a rugby supporter.

T

TOCC

Hey I'm as critical as anyone of RA on this forum.

However i'd like to know which was announced first, is this a case of the ARU locking in all the deals with the stadium hire, sponsors and the sale of international broadcast rights, and then to be hit with the news that the FIFA World Cup would clash with that game? If it is, then there's quite a few contractural obligations there which make it pretty bloody hard to simply change the kick-off time and i don't think RA can really be blamed.

Alternatively if the World Cup draw were announced prior to the Wallabies scheduling, then thats just piss poor from RA.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wallabies tests were announced first. Fifa World Cup schedule came out in late November.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: dru

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Hey I'm as critical as anyone on this forum.

However i'd like to know which was announced first, is this a case of the ARU locking in all the deals with the stadium hire, sponsors and the sale of international broadcast rights, and then to be hit with the news that the FIFA World Cup would clash with that game? If it is, then there's quite a few contractural obligations there which make it pretty bloody hard to simply change the kick-off time and i don't think RA can really be blamed.

Alternatively if the World Cup draw were announced prior to the Wallabies scheduling, then thats just piss poor from RA.

Rugby booked there time first I think and two months latter the WC draw came out. I think the AFL draw was also after the Super Rugby draw but I think that don't know that.

From what I understand the World Cup draw was on 1 December 2017, about two months after the booking by RA.

However we had 7 and a half months notice of a WC clash and AFL clash. Are things so fixed we can't move a game to say 4:00.

On the other hand maybe we are making a bold move to show how good we are.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Rugby booked there time first I think and two months latter the WC draw came out. I think the AFL draw was also after the Super Rugby draw but I think that don't know that.

From what I understand the World Cup draw was on 1 December 2017, about two months after the booking by RA.

However we had 7 and a half months notice of a WC clash and AFL clash. Are things so fixed we can't move a game to say 4:00.

On the other hand maybe we are making a bold move to show how good we are.

Um ... I think 4 PM Australia time is like 4 AM Ireland. 8 PM Australia time is 8 AM Ireland. There is absolutely no way on earth that the time is going to change.

Basically, shit happens.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
RA only markets to existing rugby supporters who probably would watch the Wallaby v Ireland game ahead of soccer and ahead of AFl. And therein lies a part of their problem - they are not attracting new viewers or new potential bums on seats in the stadium. They seem to have no action plan that would make it an attractive night out for anyone but an existing rugby fan. I go to the games, and I love having a beer in Richmond before the game and mixing it with the afl crowd and it has an exciting atmosphere, but then I'm already a rugby supporter.

It would take a shedload of money to promote "rugby" to the wider populaion outside the heartlands in Australia. I am not a marketing person, but from what little I know to bring a new product (which rugby is, presumably, to those who are unaware of its existence) to market is a long, expensive, and somewhat haphazard business. How many new products succeed in making the grade, how many fail?

Any marketing experts out there? We seem to have experts on just about everything here.