• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
They are clearly raising funds, but it's so they can reduce the subsidy to community rugby.

Our major problem is that every level of rugby costs more to run than it generates, except for the Wallabies.(and I mean in aggregate here, there will be clubs etc who can individually keep afloat)

The dollars flow downhill. That's fine, but it means the very lowest level is dependent on the very highest for funding, and there's an awful lot of people who want their cut of the pie before it cascades down to the base.

When the elite aren't going well, then the $$$ for the bottom dry up.

Top down economics has been thoroughly discredited everywhere except with the Liberal/Conservative Parties and the ARU.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^

ImageProxy.mvc

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
That may well be the case, but if the Wallabies test is a commercial failure then it would discourage us and other top teams from touring there in the short-medium term. The All Blacks test last year was historic, every subsequent match (even by the All Blacks) won't be. In a way it's a better test of the market there for world class rugby.

We may find out soon enough.

New Zealand Rugby are eyeing a return to Chicago for the All Blacks next year. And they could also involve the New Zealand Maori team in a lucrative double-header in the United States.

Tentative plans for next year involve the Maori team playing the United States and the All Blacks playing a neutral test, possibly against Ireland who have a strong fan base in America, the following day.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...land-maori-eye-chicago-doubleheader-next-year

T

Train Without a Station

As long as main stream media continue to give these imbeciles a voice Australian rugby will remain maligned. It just creates negative sentiment due to their unjustified credibility as rugby identities then giving perceived credibility to their insane and illogical ideas. Australian rugby is then deried for not following them.

http://www.espnscrum.com/australia/rugby/story/270229.html

Greg Gowden said:
"OK, so for the Australian Sevens, the Olympics, so you'd bring in a few weeks before the guys like [Israel] Folau, [Kurtley] Beale, [James] O'Connor, [Quade] Cooper," Growden asked. "You'd be guaranteed a medal wouldn't you? You don't need them playing endless Sevens tournaments."

Alan Jones said:
"Did anyone pick the phone up and say: 'Mark Ella can you come and see us please? Bring [David] Campese with you; Roger Gould; three of the great Sevens players. I know. They were in my teams; we won; great Sevens players. Were they asked? No, no, no. We've got a bloke, a Welshman coaching Canada; I've never heard of either of those teams doing anything in the Sevens, and here's where we are."

Like seriously. I've looked and it appears David Campese coached Tonga 7's in 2010. So John already has better 7's coaching credentials than these supposed better coaching options.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Like seriously. I've looked and it appears David Campese coached Tonga 7's in 2010. So John already has better 7's coaching credentials than these supposed better coaching options.
Ironically enough Geriant John played in the final of the Hong Kong sevens against the team that Alan Jones managed. He was playing for the "Public School Wanderers". Obviously didn't feel like mentioning those sort of details though which is quite unlike Mr Jones o_O

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Jones would probably be shocked to learn that Wales won the 7's RWC in 2009 and Canada finished ahead of Australia in the 2013/14 world series with Geraint John as coach.

The lack of knowledge is ridiculous. Espnscrum should be embarrassed to publish such drivel.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Jones would probably be shocked to learn that Wales won the 7's RWC in 2009 and Canada finished ahead of Australia in the 2013/14 world series with Geraint John as coach.

The lack of knowledge is ridiculous. Espnscrum should be embarrassed to publish such drivel.

Jones does not rely on facts. He relies on his own opinions.

Allen Oxlade (6)
What the ARU got VERY wrong Is the Junior Gold Cup. With the policy of allowing players from other codes to come in and play then go back to their chosen sport. Bloody disgraceful.

Then there's the $660 for the privilege of being selected. The original concept was brought about to
1. Have a pathway similar to leagues Harold Mats and SG Ball which is FREE
2. To increase player numbers in clubs as selected players were meant to register and play with their nearest club.

Pardon the pun BUT Junior Gold administration.. You've dropped the ball

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
What the ARU got VERY wrong Is the Junior Gold Cup. With the policy of allowing players from other codes to come in and play then go back to their chosen sport. Bloody disgraceful.

Then there's the $660 for the privilege of being selected. The original concept was brought about to
1. Have a pathway similar to leagues Harold Mats and SG Ball which is FREE
2. To increase player numbers in clubs as selected players were meant to register and play with their nearest club.

Pardon the pun BUT Junior Gold administration.. You've dropped the ball

I didn't realise it cost $660!! Wow. Some of the kids I coach are in it and I did wonder about one or two of those selections after seeing them catch/pass/behave. Interdasting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allen Oxlade (6)
I didn't realise it cost $660!! Wow. Some of the kids I coach are in it and I did wonder about one or two of those selections after seeing them catch/pass/behave. Interdasting.

Oops I forgot the $10 for the privilege of being invited to try out.

T

Train Without a Station

Harold Matthews and SG Ball is not free. It's just paid for by the clubs.

People have to stop holding the commercial success of NRL Clubs and what they as clubs subsequently pay for, against the ARU and portray it as a failing of the ARU for not covering that cost.

Allen Oxlade (6)
Harold Matthews and SG Ball is not free. It's just paid for by the clubs.

People have to stop holding the commercial success of NRL Clubs and what they as clubs subsequently pay for, against the ARU and portray it as a failing of the ARU for not covering that cost.

Harold Mats & SG Ball:- cost to players $0

Junior Gold Cup:- cost to players $660

It looks like it's free to me.

JGC whilst great as a concept is poorly executed. If a kid gets picked to play Mats or Ball they MUST play league that year. JGC a kid can play and then return to his chosen code. how is that assisting clubs it getting new players?

T

TOCC

JGC whilst great as a concept is poorly executed. If a kid gets picked to play Mats or Ball they MUST play league that year. JGC a kid can play and then return to his chosen code. how is that assisting clubs it getting new players?

Do many kids gets selected for the JGC without playing club or schools rugby?

T

Train Without a Station

If you can't see the crux of my point and how your criticism of the ARU is not the ARU's failing, it's pointless discussing any of this with you.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)

And yet, it's not. I think that says more about your understanding than anything else.

You have identified an actual weak point. I guess we'd better fold the program.

As it happens, that has been identified as an issue previously. Some JGC centres have policies to deal with it. Others may not.

Either way, I'm pretty sure that if you want something changed, anonymous internet arguments probably won't get much sorted.

Allen Oxlade (6)
Do many kids gets selected for the JGC without playing club or schools rugby?

Yes. I know of at least five in my region that played JGC and then went back to league.