• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
isn't the problem that this needs to happen now in order to guarantee the survival of IPRC and RA?
I agree but given the tainted Ra brand - and limited success of nrc - I think a supercharged nrc should be in fact seen as a new competition led by Andrew Forrest’s and RA (heck you don’t kill the golden goose) with all the innovations twiggy’s team is bringing entertainment etc. it should also include teams like Fiji and Japan who are commercial drawcards. You would then invite other teams in such as nrc or new teams rebranded.

And in fact if twiggy wants others like hk in then why not if he is going to provide the lions share of funding. I personally would be happy to see as twiggy’s Comp but in reality partnership with RA probably realistic option.

This has to be salvation for all surely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
rugby Australia will probably aim in short term at least to keep foot in super rugby and a foot in a competition with twiggy whether that be a supercharged nrc or World Series rugby

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
You’d think so - but surely the supe participation agreement has a best endeavours clause

Reality is with RA's track record and credibility issues they would be risk averse - meaning they could not risk putting all eggs in one basket. So whilst I think they know Super Rugby is dead horse they could not risk putting all eggs in Twiggy Ball. But reality is they see what Twiggy Ball doing with better entertainment package and potential it offers means of course they are interested but equally because of lack of brand collateral / credibility cannot completely remove themselves from Super Rugby until confirmation alternative (Twiggy Ball) is better option to commit to. I get it...but equally RA need more than ever to work with Twiggy's team as they have the money to fund such innovation required to get rugby more relevant in this country....I think they get it - and I think Raelene Castle may be more value than many realise with her strong marketing background to push towards a product that has marketing / consumer appeal....

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Reality is with RA's track record and credibility issues they would be risk averse - meaning they could not risk putting all eggs in one basket. So whilst I think they know Super Rugby is dead horse they could not risk putting all eggs in Twiggy Ball. But reality is they see what Twiggy Ball doing with better entertainment package and potential it offers means of course they are interested but equally because of lack of brand collateral / credibility cannot completely remove themselves from Super Rugby until confirmation alternative (Twiggy Ball) is better option to commit to. I get it.but equally RA need more than ever to work with Twiggy's team as they have the money to fund such innovation required to get rugby more relevant in this country..I think they get it - and I think Raelene Castle may be more value than many realise with her strong marketing background to push towards a product that has marketing / consumer appeal..
I don’t think RA will get a choice. It’s either one or the other because SA and NZ already think we’re inferior so they’re not going to cop second string players. Nor is twiggy. So it will be cut bait or go fishing.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes I think you are right....and hence the sensible thing would be to collaborate with Twiggy for his teams entertainment concepts to be incorporated into the NRC as a trial before decision to jettison Super Rugby post 2020.

For my mind using this years NRC as trial for a revised replacement Super Rugby comp for oz is critical so I hope RA and Twiggy's team are working hard on this behind the scenes re: lets incorporate Twiggy innovations with rule changes and entertainment product into NRC.

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
For my mind using this years NRC as trial for a revised replacement Super Rugby comp for oz is critical so I hope RA and Twiggy's team are working hard on this behind the scenes re: lets incorporate Twiggy innovations with rule changes and entertainment product into NRC.

Perhaps the incorporation of some TwiggyBall elements is what Raelene Castle was alluding to on Kick&Chase when she said (sic)"we've got some exciting developments in that space that we're not ready to announce yet" in reference to the NRC.
Ideally this means the inclusion of teams Tonga & Samoa; who'd be receiving the same level of WR (World Rugby) funding as the Drua - which of course means they cost the ARU nothing.

It's all wishful thinking and very unlikely. These developments rely on Raelene being able to get an antiquated board to jump into bed with Twiggy less then a year after being caught cheating in the messiest of public divorces.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Perhaps the incorporation of some TwiggyBall elements is what Raelene Castle was alluding to on Kick&Chase when she said (sic)"we've got some exciting developments in that space that we're not ready to announce yet" in reference to the NRC.

Ideally this means the inclusion of teams Tonga & Samoa; who'd be receiving the same level of WR (World Rugby) funding as the Drua - which of course means they cost the ARU nothing.

It's all wishful thinking and very unlikely. These developments rely on Raelene being able to get an antiquated board to jump into bed with Twiggy less then a year after being caught cheating in the messiest of public divorces.

I can understand and share your concerns with the RA board. But Castle growing on me as what we have needed is marketing skills in RA executive ranks and Castle brings solid background in that. I like also the dialogue she is having in public in recognising she has to be careful what she says in public.

One would think given how Super Rugby gone this year and fans continuing to desert Super Rugby that the board are faced with no choice but equally recognising the amazing opportunity Twiggy is presenting. This will really show whether board in touch with the reality of both what is a crisis and equally a great opportunity to turn the ship. What Twiggy's team have achieved with WSR matches so far is phenomenial in short space of time and they have shown our adaptable they are to improve their product where in second game improve commentary as by example. RA has failed to show this sort of innovation but in fairness they have also had limited financial resources. RA need to embrace Twiggy's resources and team and indeed the much needed positive innovation they are bringing but obviously more in partnership.

Reality is WSR relying on only one oz team will have the same challenges Super Rugby had whereas a supercharged and rebranded NRC with mix of oz and indo pacific teams would have much more appeal for all ( but RA and IPRC must do it in partnership).

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
I can understand and share your concerns with the RA board. But Castle growing on me as what we have needed is marketing skills in RA executive ranks and Castle brings solid background in that. I like also the dialogue she is having in public in recognising she has to be careful what she says in public.

Bill Pulver had a background in marketing too, we saw how that panned out.

Regarding Raelene, have you seen the mess she's left the Bulldogs in?

Salary cap of $9.6mil, and she's left them in a position which is best summarised by the current Bulldogs CEO when addressing a fan forum this week: "we're not in a position to enter the player market for the next 3 seasons"
She left the organisation with 14 players coming off contract at the same time, with just 800k to spare. The minimum wage is 85k in the NRL; so they're going to be paying for their best players to play at other clubs.
She also re-signed Des and sacked him within the space of 2 months; a decision which has cost the Dogs a multi-million dollar payout.
Reality is WSR relying on only one oz team will have the same challenges Super Rugby had whereas a supercharged and rebranded NRC with mix of oz and indo pacific teams would have much more appeal for all ( but RA and IPRC must do it in partnership).
No doubt Twiggy would gladly welcome the ARU furthering the broadcast appeal of Tonga, Samoa & Fiji by including them in the NRC. It only helps in preparation for WSR next year.

Apart from that though, Twiggy would be loathe to do anything on RA terms; not after the Force debacle.

We're quick to forget that when WSR was first announced; the Western Sydney Rams consortium expressed interest. This time next year; the Rams could be outdrawing the Tahs. Are partnerships with RA really necessary at this point?

I'd think the inner businessman in Twiggy would tell him to sit on his superior product, wait until his competitor goes into receivership and pick up the scraps for pennies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
ARU better get its pathways program into shape pretty quick

The AFL Academy has been abolished after 22 years, with plans to revamp pathway to elite level

The new system will see teenagers confined almost exclusively to state programs, aside from up to two under-17s (level 1) games per year and one under-18s (level 2) match against a VFL team in April each year.
The state-based program will broaden the net to as many as 300 teenagers per year, as opposed to the current number of 60.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ex...l/news-story/367dd4e449b0680fdfb675fba0b0bf52

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Has anyone here had much involvement with Touch Rugby 7s?

There is a plan to run a touch rugby 7s comp locally to try and promote the game to girls. I think the idea is a good one and I am happy to see the QRU being proactive. I am just not that confident in the product - but that is based on a very limited sample. I coach a girls rugby side and they were introduced to it two years ago. None of them really took to it.

I’d be interested what other people’s experiences have been and, if there are good news stories, I’d love to hear them.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Has anyone here had much involvement with Touch Rugby 7s?

There is a plan to run a touch rugby 7s comp locally to try and promote the game to girls. I think the idea is a good one and I am happy to see the QRU being proactive. I am just not that confident in the product - but that is based on a very limited sample. I coach a girls rugby side and they were introduced to it two years ago. None of them really took to it.

I’d be interested what other people’s experiences have been and, if there are good news stories, I’d love to hear them.

my jnr club has started a 10 week Touch Rugby 7s program (4 weeks training and 6 weeks of games). They had to cap enrollments at 100! It's incredible. Not sure about content as I haven't seen a game yet (and my daughter is only 7 so the content won't be great) but I know the head coach (who coaches UQ 7s team) is very excited about the talent at the higher ages and the potential for both 7s and 15s teams.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
What's the go with Raelene's get up?
f3b85427da8acd20f316890b1edb29ee.jpg

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk