• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
This is worth a read: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/e110058fd53eadb145ae25dcc170f905

I have to say the ARU are making all the right noises here. Targetting public schools, Western Sydney and women, all areas they have neglected in the past.

The proof will be in the pudding, but I'm impressed. By increasing development officers and funding or schools we may actually get tangible gains.

When you look at the last 12 months, is it possible that... deep breath... the ARU are actually doing a good job???

Lucky we've got Richard Graham or else we might have nothing to talk about here!!!

Yes aru heading in right direction with excellent launching pads including World Cup success, hugely successful sevens tournament in Sydney to knock off big bash as top ticket in town and addition of sevens to olympics

The blueprint is what rugby has long needed as needed massive overhaul to reflect modern day society and modern demands to compete as an entertainment product

Very positive and supportive of changes being made to get rugby to where it should be in this country

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If the current spend on community rugby is $5m, as above then no need to be offended - the fees collected are less than the money allocated. And that's even more true if the allocation goes to $10m

The ARU fee for seniors is $33, less for juniors - so there would have to be 150,000 people paying the fee, and there aren't that many playing.

They are subsidising development officers if anything.

Whether they should be doing even that - is another question.

I don't care about the figures, I'm saying that as a matter of principle, the levey should not exist. The figures are irrelevant.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
He's a great back room negotiator and networker. He deserves credit for stabilising the joint financially and he seems reasonably astute in staff appointments. I hope that he is sincere in addressing Western Sydney and also getting back into the state school system.

Just get rid of the levy Bill - it's your medicare co-payment.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
After Western Sydney maybe the Logan-Ipswich corridor could get some TLC. At present there really seems to be SFA going on above or below Club level, while the leaguies are already debating whether the Ipswich Jets or the South Brisbane whatevers should be the NRL expansion team from these parts.

T

TOCC

Some more snippets:

-ARU has allocated $300'000 for the Shute Shield to remain on FTA TV
-$500'000 allocated for funding rugby in Western Sydney

From the Australian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Western Sydney won't get much attention until the Wallabies are winning games, and probably trophies, against the ABs. An Olympic medal would help, too.

Bill has done a sensible thing in contracting the focus back to heartlands, including the NSWRU long-term stationing in the aging and inefficient SFS.

And there it will stay until the national product is good enough to take the focus off the NRL for 45 seconds. Western Sydney has never been anything but lip service, anyway.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The West has seen success. Parramatta used to be a strong club, good enough to win first grade premierships.

Penriff had its burst of success under Peter Besseling.

The simple truth is that our game is still pretty much an amateur game at the grass roots. That is, it is played, administered, and supported by those who love the game. If the grass roots does not want it enough to support it in cash and in kind, it will not grow in any particular area.

The ARU has to concentrate on those objectives that it can achieve. It has to provide a strategic direction for the game, manage the elite level, nurture our resources (particularly our playing, coaching, and financial resources), maintain good relationships with government at both Federal and state levels, deal with both World Rugby and SAANZAR so as to optimise our strengths and minimise the weaknesses of our game.

Club rugby is basically up to us.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'd like to see some of these new DO's allocated to Clubs. There is a better chance of clubs growing numbers if they have some say over what happens in their back yard.

I Qld having the Reds DO's run Rookies to Reds has no real link to growth in junior numbers (in terms of regular participation) whereas a club running clinics at schools in their catchment area would be of great benefit.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I'd like to see some of these new DO's allocated to Clubs. There is a better chance of clubs growing numbers if they have some say over what happens in their back yard.

I Qld having the Reds DO's run Rookies to Reds has no real link to growth in junior numbers (in terms of regular participation) whereas a club running clinics at schools in their catchment area would be of great benefit.

They have run Rookies 2 Reds at clubs as well as at schools. The thing is, the clubs have to do something proactive - at my kids state school we have run Rookies2 Reds twice with big participation numbers, yet no one from the clubs (and there are 2 close by) came along to hand out literature to the kids/parents about joining up - perfect opportunity in my view to engage with potential families but nothing unless a parent who is involved with the clubs does something off their own bat.

I believe a lot of the clubs are too closely linked to 'rugby schools' and therefore don't worry about developing the game in other schools so therefore the QRU has to take this initiative (and even in their case it is usually a rugby parent who organises for them to come in). I think that the clubs should be planning for strategic growth by engaging in events at schools - running training sessions, maybe creating specific matches for kids who have just come through these programs (and haven't participated in a club before).

They don't have to do it all themselves - go to the QRU development team and say this is what we want to do, how can we achieve it? Tie it into a training session with say the senior teams at the club so they can see how the 'big guys' do it, get female players out there, especially the Sevens players to talk about Rio etc - this is not very costly,nothing elaborate here, really just tapping into what the club//union already has going on but creating a direct engagement with schools. Find a way to tie it into the National Curriculum for PE and say maths (running angles, sprinting speed, direction etc is all maths)-this is what they are doing with Computer Science - looking at how to tie it into other subjects like maths and geography (direction, location).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Some more snippets:

-ARU has allocated $300'000 for the Shute Shield to remain on FTA TV
-$500'000 allocated for funding rugby in Western Sydney

From the Australian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that annually or a once off?

Anyway, I would suggest a sizeable chunk of those funds go toward establishing more schools competitions in the region. Its the best place to reach as many kids as possible. Outside private schools weekly schools sport particularly at the primary level has really fallen away over the past 20 or so years. If the ARU were to come on board with these funds as well as the DOs to not only organise these competitions but to train teachers in coaching/referreeing then we could see some strong growth.

I'd even be so inclined to focus exclusively on kids in the pri,ary sector. Use 7s and 10s as a structure to get them involved have local club actively distribute literature among schools in their areas (I'm refering to village clubs etc) to capture as many as possible.

The goal would be to build a base at the primary level as a means of further developing demand at the secondary level as these kids progress.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Anyway, I would suggest a sizeable chunk of those funds go toward establishing more schools competitions in the region. Its the best place to reach as many kids as possible. Outside private schools weekly schools sport particularly at the primary level has really fallen away over the past 20 or so years. If the ARU were to come on board with these funds as well as the DOs to not only organise these competitions but to train teachers in coaching/referreeing then we could see some strong growth.

I'd even be so inclined to focus exclusively on kids in the pri,ary sector. Use 7s and 10s as a structure to get them involved have local club actively distribute literature among schools in their areas (I'm refering to village clubs etc) to capture as many as possible.

The goal would be to build a base at the primary level as a means of further developing demand at the secondary level as these kids progress.

Absolutely. Build in the primary level and where there's any parental interest get behind the set up of a junior club. There's some primary schools that have 800 kids.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)

I think the focus on primary schools is a really good idea - start building the base there and work with the clubs to give them somewhere to continue onto. Setting up a whole new club can be hard, but many established clubs can help to set up a 'branch' club in an area that is underserviced, so you can utilise some of their experience and infrastructure to create a new outlet, specifically as a junior club.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
My club received an email from the QRU today which included the following information -

'Event Sanctioning
Clubs are also reminded that ANY game conducted outside their regular season competition must be sanctioned by the Queensland Rugby Union. This includes trial games, representative trials/games, carnivals and tournaments. Event sanctioning information/applications can be found here - http://www.rugby.com.au/runningrugby/SanctionedEventsEntityTeams.aspx

Insurance will not be provided to games without proper sanctioning approval.'

I know this is an ARU topic thread, but my understanding is this comes down from the ARU and the link is to the ARU website.

Someone from my club rang the QRU and was advised it has actually been in place for a few years, but not enforced. If you click on the link it advises that the form must be submitted 30 days prior to any event.

This is the first time I have come across this - was everyone else aware?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
From behind the Australian paywall:

Paworth discussing the ARU's decision not to fund the Sydney and Brisbane clubs.
Papworth warned the ARU risked alienating the grassroots of the game in Sydney and Brisbane over the funding issue.

“It is alienating us now,” Papworth said. “We don’t rush out to buy tickets to Test matches. You know why? Because we don’t care any more.

“Do you want to know why the stadiums aren’t full for Bledisloes any more. It is because the rusted on footy fan who puts the flags out every Saturday, who gets the kids to training and makes sure club games happen every Saturday feels shafted.”
And here I was thinking that the Bledisloe cup crowds were down because we haven't won it for forever

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...k=8af040611d975b19db5a48a270db96ee-1455523118

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
From behind the Australian paywall:

Paworth discussing the ARU's decision not to fund the Sydney and Brisbane clubs.

And here I was thinking that the Bledisloe cup crowds were down because we haven't won it for forever

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...k=8af040611d975b19db5a48a270db96ee-1455523118

The problem is he's only talking about Shute Shield clubs. Which again are the minority. I have very little sympathy for Papworth and Co. The ARU need to be using their resources to grow the game at the base to ensure the future just giving the 'clubs' money won't achieve any of this. They only have interest in themselves and that's where the money will go. If I were the ARU before I even entertained handing over any funds to the likes of Eastwood etc. I'd demand to see a comprehensive development plan. Not just for the club, if they presented that I'd tell to walk but for schools and village clubs. Bet they'd freeze.

They'd be better served taking all the energy they are putting into whinging developing their business models to be self sustaining. They now have an outlet via 7 to develop both the competitions and their clubs sponsorship bases. Let the ARU actually develop the damn game.

They do that, get more kids and families involved in the game and the crowds will take care of themselves.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Something else the ARU or someone/group should look at doing is developing an online platform that provides guidance on the laws, how to guides in setting up and administering junior clubs with links, a streamlined certification system for coaching and refereeing and instructional video ideally from professional coaches to provide skills development drills for kids.

You could even use it as a fundraising platform with the goal of giving back to the community game etc.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Something else the ARU or someone/group should look at doing is developing an online platform that provides guidance on the laws, how to guides in setting up and administering junior clubs with links, a streamlined certification system for coaching and refereeing and instructional video ideally from professional coaches to provide skills development drills for kids.

You could even use it as a fundraising platform with the goal of giving back to the community game etc.

They do have a certain amount of this - http://www.rugby.com.au/coaching/CoachingResources/ARUCoachConnectTV/Children.aspx
http://www.rugby.com.au/coaching/CoachingResources/CoachResourceLibrary.aspx

However I agree that it should be more obvious and could be more accessible. They do produce a useful 'Refereeing Kids Rugby' booklet that is provided once you have done the kids refereeing course - it covers the essential laws and field settings for kids games which I refer to for a refresher before I ref kids games.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The problem is he's only talking about Shute Shield clubs. Which again are the minority. I have very little sympathy for Papworth and Co. The ARU need to be using their resources to grow the game at the base to ensure the future just giving the 'clubs' many won't achieve any of this. They only have interest in themselves and that's where the money will go. If I were the ARU before I even entertained handing over any funds to the likes of Eastwood etc. I'd demand to see a comprehensive development plan. Not just for the club, if they presented that I'd tell to walk but for schools and village clubs. Bet they'd freeze.

They'd be better served taking all the energy they are putting into whinging developing their business models to be self sustaining. They now have an outlet via 7 to develop both the competitions and their clubs sponsorship bases. Let the ARU actually develop the damn game.

They do that, get more kids and families involved in the game and the crowds will take care of themselves.
That all sounds good,but it totally ignores recent history.
Yeah maybe ARU grants would be better spent on kids.Maybe BP could could save more by culling his executive team?
There's a thousand ways to cut expenditure,but none that will have unanimous support.
Let's just remember that 2 years ago BP approached the clubs and asked for their assistance.
He requested that they shorten their competition by 4 rounds(and therefore reducing their income) and also asked for their support both financially and logistically to fund and then get the NRC up & running.
Ever since,he has been kicking them in the nuts.
I can see both points of view,and I don't believe the money saved is worth the resentment that many in the SS feel over the issue.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
They do have a certain amount of this - http://www.rugby.com.au/coaching/CoachingResources/ARUCoachConnectTV/Children.aspx
http://www.rugby.com.au/coaching/CoachingResources/CoachResourceLibrary.aspx

However I agree that it should be more obvious and could be more accessible. They do produce a useful 'Refereeing Kids Rugby' booklet that is provided once you have done the kids refereeing course - it covers the essential laws and field settings for kids games which I refer to for a refresher before I ref kids games.

I suspected they would have had something but yeah, I think what's needed is a comprehensive resource that's open to all.