• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

T

Train Without a Station

Because he has poorly handled a situation where his hands are tied on how it can be handled somewhat?

What has Pulver done that a person in his position should have done?

That's probably the best question really.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the bigger issue is the changing of the board. The constitution was changed 2 years ago but we have stuck with the old structure. We need some non rugby people on the board, including a couple of powerful women.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I'm sick of all the talk of individuals and just want the game to move forward. I don't care who really gets necked from this point on to achieve that. I don't want more instability.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Excellent point Jets. Ever since hearing the Beale decision on Saturday morning I have been facing a personal quandary: For a long time now I have supported the Wallabies in spite of an intense dislike (bordering on hatred) of the ARU. Here is the crux - how do I go on supporting the Wallabies when a player I have come to loathe will be selected at some point? It is easy to pass over with the 'tahs as I don't have foxtel and can switch support to one of the other Oz provinces whom I support almost equally to the 'tahs. But I can't support another team other than the Wallabies and I would never support anyone playing against the wallabies. What to do? Cheer for the team except when Beale is involved in the play then boo voraciously? Pretend Beale is not playing? Sorry, if I end up transferring the Beale shite to this thread definitely not my intention. so if you are responding don't bring up any 'he's not guilty" or "he was cleared to play" BS.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm sick of all the talk of individuals and just want the game to move forward. I don't care who really gets necked from this point on to achieve that. I don't want more instability.

Agreed. Wanting the game to move forward in June has ultimately led to a problem becoming substantially worse and it has now claimed multiple scalps with potentially more to come.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Excellent point Jets. Ever since hearing the Beale decision on Saturday morning I have been facing a personal quandary: For a long time now I have supported the Wallabies in spite of an intense dislike (bordering on hatred) of the ARU. Here is the crux - how do I go on supporting the Wallabies when a player I have come to loathe will be selected at some point? It is easy to pass over with the 'tahs as I don't have foxtel and can switch support to one of the other Oz provinces whom I support almost equally to the 'tahs. But I can't support another team other than the Wallabies and I would never support anyone playing against the wallabies. What to do? Cheer for the team except when Beale is involved in the play then boo voraciously? Pretend Beale is not playing? Sorry, if I end up transferring the Beale shite to this thread definitely not my intention. so if you are responding don't bring up any 'he's not guilty" or "he was cleared to play" BS.

Realise that he's just one player within an entire sport. Realise that an independent panel has made a decision regarding his punishment and the ARU has accepted it.

I support the Wallabies and I support rugby union. I don't need to be satisfied that everyone involved meets my personal moral benchmarks for me to enjoy watching the Wallabies play.

If Beale is selected to play for the Wallabies again it will be because the coach thinks he's good enough to play for the Wallabies, not that he's condoning his past behaviour or making any judgement about him as a person.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
how do I go on supporting the Wallabies when a player I have come to loathe will be selected at some point? .

support the jerseys, not the people inside them. Support what the jersey once was, perhaps not what it is now.

I'm struggling as well but I expect I will end up getting up to watch the games (not convinced just yet). I'll see 15 gold jerseys though and it can be just like any of the great eras. Similar jerseys as previously - just the number on the back (no names!).

Squint a little as you watch and it may even seem that it's Simon Poidevin in #7 or NFJ in #9. A tanned Roger Gould at the back, or a really tanned Mortlock in #13.

Don't punish yourself further. We need to get some fulfilment from our love of the game. Deny yourself the chance to watch it and the terrorists have already won.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Well, when all is said and done one indicator for how we're going is that the Kangaroos v Kiwis game both got a bigger crowd and had better ratings than the Bledisloe Cup match at the same venue and same time-slot exactly one week earlier.

The bledisloe scored pretty well exactly 1 million when regionals and foxtel were included, while the Kangaroos v Kiwis match got 1.068 million.

It may be marginal, but THAT is a worry. The Bledisloe should be a much bigger event than a 4N opener in which pretty well two whole teams worth of Kangaroos players have pulled out through injury.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Without wanting to revisit the Beale debate itself, I am not sure just exactly what we are saying Pulver has or hasn't done other than to rein in a baying media frenzy furiously muddying the waters by implying the 'real issue' wasn't Beale's conduct because that was 'symptomatic' but McKenzie and Patstons supposed conduct. Wherein we saw articles doing everything but state the two were having an affair, and quite a few impugning Patstons role on the team. It is an old and proven issues management approach, that Beales backers seem to know well. Distract, defuse, amplify the peripherals, suggesting bigger issues on the slimmest of cues, while minimalising the issues your client has.

Pulver had Beale investigated, using a due process. And Beale was found guilty (civilly not criminally) on one count. But Pulver is incompetant for following die process?

Bizarre. Or is it because McKenzie resigned? Not seen a single skerrick of tangible material to suggest Pulver was aware of Beales transgression in June and failed to act. It is possible McKenzie did of course, but he has resigned.

Quite remarkable. A series of innocuous events. A staffer some players seem to have not liked, add a hothead, then mix well with agents and lawyers looking to divert.

Or you could have subtracted the hothead last year and had none of this.

Beale is a hothead, but a talented one that was important to Tahs success this year, ie the first year since forever the results were good and fans happy.

Until we learn this lesson we are going to be doomed to repeat it. The only bright side from all this from my perpective is that I can't think of any players we have had come on board since with Amigo-itis.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
support the jerseys, not the people inside them. Support what the jersey once was, perhaps not what it is now.

I'm struggling as well but I expect I will end up getting up to watch the games (not convinced just yet). I'll see 15 gold jerseys though and it can be just like any of the great eras. Similar jerseys as previously - just the number on the back (no names!).

Squint a little as you watch and it may even seem that it's Simon Poidevin in #7 or NFJ in #9. A tanned Roger Gould at the back, or a really tanned Mortlock in #13.

Don't punish yourself further. We need to get some fulfilment from our love of the game. Deny yourself the chance to watch it and the terrorists have already won.

Spare a thought for me. Ten months ago I bought tickets to visit the UK and Europe to see the Spring Tour games. My enthusiasm has considerably waned in recent weeks (I have put my second national team as my profile logo) and at least I will enjoy the atmosphere at Millenium Stadium, Stade de France and Twickenham, as well as catching up with my friends in Germany. That is a good suggestion to imagine it's the great players of yesteryears, my tickets at Cardiff are nosebleed seats so it won't be too difficult - I will forget to take my glasses!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Quite remarkable. A series of innocuous events. A staffer some players seem to have not liked, add a hothead, then mix well with agents and lawyers looking to divert.

Or you could have subtracted the hothead last year and had none of this.

Beale is a hothead, but a talented one that was important to Tahs success this year, ie the first year since forever the results were good and fans happy.

Until we learn this lesson we are going to be doomed to repeat it. The only bright side from all this from my perpective is that I can't think of any players we have had come on board since with Amigo-itis.

I think assuming that the every single event that has transpired was entirely due to Kurtley Beale would be the mistake that the ARU would then be doomed to repeat.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
On the Podcast broken link Matt (and the rest) makes a fantastic point that BP allowed the ARU to be dictated by Beales management. Allowing them to set the date for the longest period possible and not taking action sooner. BP wasn't strong enough to handle this. As soon as he had the press conference stating "we have found deeply offensive texts..." the tribunal should have been ASAP. Weak leadership. And we don't need that.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

I know exactly what you mean. It's not just the Wallabies I support, it's the game of rugby that I love and have been involved with in some form or another since under 10's. The game is bigger than the Wallabies and the ARU but as the administrators of it in Australia they are a bloody shambles. So many good people across the country give up their time for free to keep the game and their clubs going but these payed dickheads and inner sanctum wankers that pollute the board room keep putting rugby through a mincer despite the volunteers contribution which is done for no other reason than absolute love of the game.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It's a rather pointless exercise Braveheart.

Call me crazy, but I've always thought that if you are to remove an employee, you do so on the basis of replacing them with somebody better at their job.

Otherwise it's just blind luck.
1) there is no qualification for CEO

2) the ARU don't have the money for a decent one anyway

3) there are plenty of pricks involved in the power games undermining anyone they don't like the look of

Pulver's going to have to look at retirement as a serious option after this gig, so he'll hang on as long as he can and hope Cheika delivers.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I think assuming that the every single event that has transpired was entirely due to Kurtley Beale would be the mistake that the ARU would then be doomed to repeat.

Well let's hear them then because from where I sit I haven't heard a single specific thing that Pulver has done wrong other than failing to stop a media circus that was not avoidable short of failing to charge Beale - and that would have had worse consequences.

But by all means BH have at, what, specifically, has Pulver and co done that was wrong?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well let's hear them then because from where I sit I haven't heard a single specific thing that Pulver has done wrong other than failing to stop a media circus that was not avoidable short of failing to charge Beale - and that would have had worse consequences.

But by all means BH, have at, what, specifically has Pulver and co done that was wrong.

My take on it is that when McKenzie was appointed, Pulver delegated him unprecedented powers for the coach and allowed him significant control within every area of the ARU. He was given the power to not just appoint staff within the Wallabies team but the broader ARU.

Pulver made a choice that he was backing McKenzie to rescue both the Wallabies and with it Australian Rugby and ultimately, that has not worked out at all. By the same token, if McKenzie had been a runaway success, Pulver would have ridden on his coat tails.

The fact that Pulver is now presiding over the biggest scandal Australian rugby has seen which has resulted in one female staff member close to the team resigning (and potentially sueing the ARU at a later date) as well as the coach resigning. When everything blew up Pulver was still there saying he knew nothing and everything was news to him.

He is the CEO of an organisation where everyone from players, to staff members to board members leak detailed confidential information to the press on an almost daily basis.

I won't be surprised if he's gone before Super Rugby starts back next year.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
My take on it is that when McKenzie was appointed, Pulver delegated him unprecedented powers for the coach and allowed him significant control within every area of the ARU. He was given the power to not just appoint staff within the Wallabies team but the broader ARU.

Pulver made a choice that he was backing McKenzie to rescue both the Wallabies and with it Australian Rugby and ultimately, that has not worked out at all. By the same token, if McKenzie had been a runaway success, Pulver would have ridden on his coat tails.

The fact that Pulver is now presiding over the biggest scandal Australian rugby has seen which has resulted in one female staff member close to the team resigning (and potentially sueing the ARU at a later date) as well as the coach resigning. When everything blew up Pulver was still there saying he knew nothing and everything was news to him.

He is the CEO of an organisation where everyone from players, to staff members to board members leak detailed confidential information to the press on an almost daily basis.

Is this a version of yes minister?

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
I think, I think the ARU has a brand image problem. What is their brand, is it Rugby, is it the Wallabies, is it the players, etc, I'm not really sure. BP can do and say what he wants but until they get the branding fixed the corportate dollars and TV revenue will stay where it is, in corporate Australian pocket.
As for BP and KB (Kurtley Beale) and any other incident, nobody can predict these things but its how you react that matters and good PR people help you with that but I'm not sure the ARU has that, Link used poor judgement. He should have acted like the All blacks did with Cruden, you are out of two weeks done. The media noise goes away and you can deal with it later and away from scrutiny. i.e. KB (Kurtley Beale) blows up at Di, KB (Kurtley Beale) is on the next flight home, tell the remaining players to suck it up and deal with it later.

T

Train Without a Station

But where has it come undone? From Beale's actions and the victim feeling compelled to not come out due to the embarrassment of those actions.

Employ the best people you can, and put the best systems in place but you cannot prevent the rogue actions of individuals and no matter what management you have in place, you cannot control how a victim may wish to handle a matter.