• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Backroom discussions need to be had with Television Execs in respect of a Trans Tasman Comp involving NZ and Australian Franchises. Very similar time zones and direct televising of games ensures a much greater attraction for sponsors/ advertisers.

If Australian and NZ Rugby can get the support then fuck off South Africa altogether. SANZAAR can then become ANZRU.

Or is it going to take a "Kerry Packer"

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I just dont think NZRU will do it. As the minor party about all I can hope for is to remove some of the excesses that SARU demands.

Revert to three conferences, add Jaguares to NZ and SunWolves to Aus works for me.

I dont see the ARU as the primary issue. For me its the self interest groups, and the old boys networks.

I'd reform the Franchises, where necesarry, to be stand alone professionally driven sporting organisations, accountable to the StateRUs. The StateRUs principally responsible for the amateur game, but answering to ARU for pathways.

NRC as defacto professional comp would come as part of the StateRU pathways model but run by the franchises. Each Franchise should ideally have two NRC teams.

Ideally the existing Premier Comps need a more effective connection to both the grass roots (non Premier, non Professional state rugby) and to the NRC. In NSW that is a fundamental issue. Current win-lose attitudes between ARU and SS, and the non involvement of NSWRU and Waratahs Ltd needs to be addressed.

In essence, the above simply supports the ARU actions albeit with some blinding road blocks.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
"Revert to three conferences" you say, dru. Too slow, I suggested it back in January. See here: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/s18-on-its-way.13275/page-31

The big thing we absolutely must do in Super rugby is cut down the travel. That will remove some of the attraction of signing a NH contract (but obviously not all). Moving the southern continents closer together could prove to be somewhat problematical..... Seriously, it all has to come down to designing a more travel-friendly draw, which has its difficulties when the Saffers and Kiwis insist playing against each other. Maybe SANZAAR should look at mini-conferences similar to those in the Heineken Cup. Or take another squiz at km travelled and put a ceiling on it.

If it's too early for two Argie sides, how about a combined Arg/Uruguay side playing out of Montevideo? Have a game every week at either one of the two cities and it'd almost be worthwhile making a trip over there.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Not too late, I was thinking the same then Lindommer. Thought thought sense might catch up sometime this season.

So if the Kiwis want regular Saffer games, and Aus wants to move toward the future... Nah too much too soon. Was thinking that a twin conference system Aus, Japan, Argentina, US.

Sorry for the brain fart. A bloke's got to dream.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
"Revert to three conferences" you say, dru. Too slow, I suggested it back in January. See here: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/s18-on-its-way.13275/page-31

The big thing we absolutely must do in Super rugby is cut down the travel. That will remove some of the attraction of signing a NH contract (but obviously not all). Moving the southern continents closer together could prove to be somewhat problematical... Seriously, it all has to come down to designing a more travel-friendly draw, which has its difficulties when the Saffers and Kiwis insist playing against each other. Maybe SANZAAR should look at mini-conferences similar to those in the Heineken Cup. Or take another squiz at km travelled and put a ceiling on it.

If it's too early for two Argie sides, how about a combined Arg/Uruguay side playing out of Montevideo? Have a game every week at either one of the two cities and it'd almost be worthwhile making a trip over there.

I thought the previous system worked best. Derbies both home and away woth each team playing three teams from the two other corresponding conferences.

Conversely, we could do the two conference thing. The Atlantic and the Asia Pacific. It's likely Argentina will be looking for a 2nd franchise by 2020 so let's give it to them. They like the Jaguares play in the Atlatintic conference.

The Asia-Pacific has the 5 Aus and NZ teams plus the Sunwolves. Considering the bid from the Asia-Pacific Dragons and the Hong Kong RFU professionalizing there 15s program (they'll now have around 50 full time professionals between there 15s and 7s programs) then either a Singapore or Hong Kong (or even combined team) can be added.

The Atlantic conference could run a two round 14 game schedule while the AP conference runs a 16 games one and a half round schedule. Top 4 from each conference progresses to an 8 team final series. A1 v AP4, AP1 v A4 etc.

This way we get 6 games a week in our timezones which should benefit our domestic asking price.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Got an Email from the ARU this morning offering presale tickets for ANZ Bledisloe.
Tickets on offer very poor.
I can't work out if this offer was a community rugby offer or my Wallaby 1st offer - Im thinking/hoping the former because bays 411 and 412 are the best available platinum seats, 1 seat is available in 106 and none in 110-104. odd Seats in 101-103 and 111-114.
Homebush is bad enough without sitting in the next suburb.
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 12.14.34.png

Does anyone know the story? Sent an email to the ARU but we will have won another RWC before they respond to that!!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Got an Email from the ARU this morning offering presale tickets for ANZ Bledisloe.
I can't work out if this offer was a community rugby offer or my Wallaby 1st offer - Im thinking/hoping the former because bays 411 and 412 are the best available platinum seats, 1 seat is available in 106 and none in 110-104. odd Seats in 101-103 and 111-114.
View attachment 8019
Does anyone know the story? Sent an email to the ARU but we will have won another RWC before they respond to that!!

I got tickets up the back cnr once and though shit.
When i got there - i actually enjoyed the different perspective.
if you enjoy reading and understanding the game, they can be good seats - however i did think same as you at the start

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I've also sat in those seats on one occasion. You aren't too far away, but it's a bit like watching the game from the old grandstand at Woollahra or at the back of the stand at Manly Oval.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think I got allocated those seats for RWC 2001 - France V Arg (?) left at half time.
Of more interest is the question where all the good seats went if these are my Wobbly 1st seats?

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think I got allocated those seats for RWC 2001 - France V Arg (?) left at half time.
Of more interest is the question where all the good seats went if these are my Wobbly 1st seats?

Hmmmmmm............3 RWC's in 4 years seems a bit of a stretch logistically, considering that every top test rugby team played a full test season that year (and we played the British & Irish Lions as well in 2001) :)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hmmmmmm....3 RWC's in 4 years seems a bit of a stretch logistically, considering that every top test rugby team played a full test season that year (and we played the British & Irish Lions as well in 2001) :)

it was a long time ago - have you seen the pedants thread (they're, their and there)? you might enjoy it. I used to.
Latest news from the ARU bunker is that there was "an email problem" and some people got their invitation to purchase before others.
That sounds like the ARU to me.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
it was a long time ago - have you seen the pedants thread (they're, their and there)? you might enjoy it. I used to.
Latest news from the ARU bunker is that there was "an email problem" and some people got their invitation to purchase before others.
That sounds like the ARU to me.

Fair enough - just having a bit of fun :)

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
View attachment 8019

IS

I got the same email. It's for the 'Rugby Community' and is for available tickets after Wallaby 1st (closed 31 May) and Super Rugby (Waratahs closed 3 June) member allocations have closed

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS

I got the same email. It's for the 'Rugby Community' and is for available tickets after Wallaby 1st (closed 31 May) and Super Rugby (Waratahs closed 3 June) member allocations have closed

Grrrr.
I spoke to the ARU: "yes of course you ordered tickets back in February. Didn't you get an email enclosing the tickets? NO, ok I'll send you another one".
A work colleague got exactly the same response - so its not just my poor memory.
Now I have 8 tickets to the Bledisloe.......at this rate at least we won't be outnumbered by Kiwis for once.

dclok1

Frank Row (1)
Hi i didnt get the early access codes for the bledisloe in sydney, can you share the rugby community code that came out today? :)

dclok1

Frank Row (1)
Grrrr.
I spoke to the ARU: "yes of course you ordered tickets back in February. Didn't you get an email enclosing the tickets? NO, ok I'll send you another one".
A work colleague got exactly the same response - so its not just my poor memory.
Now I have 8 tickets to the Bledisloe...at this rate at least we won't be outnumbered by Kiwis for once.
Hey inside shoulder, do you mind sharing that code?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Getting back on topic, I was having a conversation the other day about grass roots rugby investment and someone told me how much England were spending. I couldn't believe some of things that the RFU is able to do. I was able to confirm these figures from the 2014 RFU annual report.

In 2015 the RFU decided to introduce rugby into 400 non-rugby playing schools and provided 10,000 pounds to EACH school to help with the intro

The RFU alloocated 5.2 million pounds to facilities for grass roots rugby clubs (supplemented by another 6.9 million from Sport England)

Both items on page 23 of the attached

The RFU junior development budget for 2015 was 30.7 million pounds. (schools and juniors)

The RFU allocated 44.6 million pounds to its professional rugby

Page 41 of the attached

http://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Document/AboutRFU/General/01/30/64/47/RFUAnnualReport_Neutral.pdf