• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Getting back on topic, I was having a conversation the other day about grass roots rugby investment and someone told me how much England were spending. I couldn't believe some of things that the RFU is able to do. I was able to confirm these figures from the 2014 RFU annual report.

In 2015 the RFU decided to introduce rugby into 400 non-rugby playing schools and provided 10,000 pounds to EACH school to help with the intro

The RFU alloocated 5.2 million pounds to facilities for grass roots rugby clubs (supplemented by another 6.9 million from Sport England)

Both items on page 23 of the attached

The RFU junior development budget for 2015 was 30.7 million pounds. (schools and juniors)

The RFU allocated 44.6 million pounds to its professional rugby

Page 41 of the attached

http://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Document/AboutRFU/General/01/30/64/47/RFUAnnualReport_Neutral.pdf

In theory with the $10 million dollar development allotment the ARU could do something similar. Which actually may not to all that bad of an idea.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In theory with the $10 million dollar development allotment the ARU could do something similar. Which actually may not to all that bad of an idea.

It's certainly the sort of thing that what we need to be doing. Obviously the ARU don't have anything like the money of the RFU. It's what we're up against though. It's taken 15 years, but we're starting to see the impact of neglect of junior club rugby and rugby in the CHS system on the professional game.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It's certainly the sort of thing that what we need to be doing. Obviously the ARU don't have anything like the money of the RFU. It's what we're up against though. It's taken 15 years, but we're starting to see the impact of neglect of junior club rugby and rugby in the CHS system on the professional game.

Whilst we don't have the RFU cash, we agree something has to be done.

Reinvesting.

By investing in and supporting junior club rugby and schools, player numbers can increase, supporters increase, skills increase, doing things well repeatedly week on week, month on month, year on year - success will come.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I actually think with the right application we could do something very similar to that of England. May be even more depending on how you go about it. How I'd structure it would be first a multi format participation program. From Sevens to 10s right through to the 15 man game. In terms of 7s, I'd use the Viva7s format as a means to introduce the game to the very youngest participants in the K-3 sections. From there you use the 10s format in 4-6. In the junior section of High School its 12 a side and seniors the full complement.

To achieve this, ARU DO's would look at engaging teachers in a certification program as a means building the necessary foundations.

A key element to this will first be establishing a central and unified online resource with instructional videos and community forums to assist coaches in both their own development and that of players and referees. Additionally, on the club side of things. The same resource would provide detailed instructions to assist both established and new clubs in sourcing extra funding via community/government programs.

On top of this, the ARU should develop a 'Rugby Schools Starter Kit'. A basic kit that provides a school with all the essentials to get up and running. Including the ability to source jerseys etc.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Your progression is pretty close to how junior rugby works. Start with 7's touch and progresses to 15's at U12's or U13's.

I love the idea of a central and unified online resource for coaches. I actually think we could save a lot of money across the code by having centralised coach education. We also need to provide a pathway for local coaches and a forum for coaches to network and share ideas. I see there is a National coaching conference in Sydney, this week I think. The one they did for the Lions tour was great, where they held one in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney. It would be great if they rotated them around the country each year if they are only going to hold one.

I feel the ARU should provide more assistance to coaches and schools/clubs connecting. Having worked in clubland and school land I can say the way some coaches get roles is ridiculous. I'm sure the ARU could provide certification outside the coaching levels that could assist this process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Your progression is pretty close to how junior rugby works. Start with 7's touch and progresses to 15's at U12's or U13's.

I love the idea of a central and unified online resource for coaches. I actually think we could save a lot of money across the code by having centralised coach education. We also need to provide a pathway for local coaches and a forum for coaches to network and share ideas. I see there is a National coaching conference in Sydney, this week I think. The one they did for the Lions tour was great, where they held one in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney. It would be great if they rotated them around the country each year if they are only going to hold one.

I feel the ARU should provide more assistance to coaches and schools/clubs connecting. Having worked in clubland and school land I can say the way some coaches get roles is ridiculous. I'm sure the ARU could provide certification outside the coaching levels that could assist this process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've actually gone into more detail on the idea previously which pretty aligned with your thoughts on the coaching pathways and forums. I think outside of being able to access clear and practicable resources to take to the training pitch such a resource would be a driver of collaboration and may be even a little innovation. And, yes, such a resource should be rather cost efficient while hopefully providing a great deal of benefit.

In regards to the progression at club level. I tend to think it needs to be a little more staggered in schools. I could be wrong but that tends to be my thinking when it comes to 1) introducing as many kids as possible involved and then 2)retaining them as they progress while providing them with competitive structures to participate in.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
"But often the stories lay bare the administrative apparatus itself: five CEOs at the National Rugby League in four years; three CEOs at the Australian Rugby Union in six months....."

Dunno where he got those figures from. For NRL it went Gallop>Smith>Greenberg, and ARU O'Neill>Pulver. Gideon must've counted acting CEOs unless he's harking back to an earlier time at the NRL when Wayne Pearce and a few others rotated through the CEO's office.

Haigh's an excellent sports journo, on cricket. He has the unfortunate disadvantage of living in the fishbowl world of Melbourne where all sport's affected by the parochialness of AFL. I've often wondered how Victorians can be so worldly about cricket yet so insular about football. As one born and brought up in southern New South Wales I'm very familiar with the hold of AFL in those parts, it's all some people can talk about in sport. AFL followers in southern Australia are the only people in the world who don't know the difference between union and league, they consider Storm/Broncos/Warriors as "rugby players". Getting back to Gideon, he's done some marvellous pieces on the history of cricket, mostly with a Melbourne bent. I do enjoy reading his work.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Lindo I read a survey about people who follow multiple sports in Australia.

Rugby fans were the most likely to be actively interested in other sports - cricket, league, soccer etc.

The most myopic? AFL fans.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
And this fixation with AFL's hoovering up all the best young sporting talent in Victoria, they grizzle about how few Mexicans make the Australian cricket team. If I had time I'd go back over the last 20 years and do a count, especially fast bowlers.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Some of the salt comes from some quality players missing out. Brad Hodge and David Hussey in particular missed out almost entirely. And before his form slump in the long form of the past 3ish season, Cameron White could have been thought of as a little hard done by too.

Regardless, not a Cricket thread, and apart from Petey Handscome needing to be the next number 5 batsman, Patto is definitely the only current Vuc deserving of a spot in the long game.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
More financial issues for the Super Rugby teams

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...e/news-story/ada7f79055ed7eec61250efe7ad1d229

Super Rugby naming rights sponsor Asteron Life has elected to end its support for the competition, dealing Australian rugby a severe financial setback.

Asteron Life’s decision not to renew its sponsorship is expected to result in a $300,000 reduction in funding for the five Super Rugby teams.

The insurance company’s impending departure follows on from a lack of naming rights sponsors for the recent Test series against England and the upcoming Rugby Championship, which is expected to cost the Super Rugby franchises another $200,000 in reduced funding.

The Brumbies are nervously waiting to see if they will lose their major sponsor Aquis, who signed an $8 million, six-year deal at the start of 2015, which was meant to secure the club’s financial future.
-----------

A Hong Kong-owned investment and development business, Aquis supported the Brumbies with a view to being part of the redevelopment of the Civic stadium. But Aquis will reconsider its continued involvement with the Brumbies after of the ACT election on October 15 and its consequences on government attitude towards poker machines.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Wonder if this will affect all franchises equally. I would assume the Rebels owners would have contract provisions guaranteeing their funding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Strange article, the lack of sponsorship of the England Test Series or Rugby Championship has no impact on the bottom line of the Super Rugby clubs, it will impact on the ARU however.

As of the Super Rugby sponsorship, i had assumed that funding went straight to the ARU with the Super Rugby teams receiving their grant regardless, similar to how the broadcast rights revenue is divided. If it is however directly relevant to the Super Rugby clubs, then it equates to $60k each/annum, not a massive issue given the 2017 season is 6 months away.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Strew & TOCC

From the above you got me thinking about sponsorship and I foolishly believed Rugby was well ahead of the game.

I checked four clubs and TBH have no idea about total amounts but I went to the Following clubs in Rugby the Tahs the biggest of the Super teams in Australia and the Western Force arguably the smallest team. Compared to Soccer that game we used to mock. Went to SFC one of their biggest clubs and the Central Coast Mariners by far their smallest club.

Here are the links

Tahs

http://www.waratahs.com.au/Waratahs/Corporate/Sponsors.aspx

Force

https://www.westernforce.com.au/partners

Sydney FC

http://www.sydneyfc.com/corporate/ourpartners/1m36ed4770hjn13dc3r20wn9cs

Central Coast Mariners

http://www.ccmariners.com.au/corporate/partners/phr49sxsp8801lxy6sks0m7i8

Super Rugby

Tahs have 28 sponsors / partners
Force have 9

Soccer

Sydney have 76 sponsors / partners

Central coast have 63

Please tell me how a broke little town on the Central Coast can have more sponsors than the Tahs unless it run by a lazy out of touch Admin up against managers who get fired if they don't get results.

T

TOCC

Half, unless context for those sponsorships is provided then counting them like that doesn't really indicate anything. It could simply be that CCM have included all sponsors including those who have purchased corporate boxes and private seats, whereas others haven't.

Ultimately you want to compare the overall value of sponsorship, that's the true measure.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Smaller organisations that struggle to get high value major sponsors will often have lots of smaller sponsors.

It ends up being lots of fans' businesses putting in a modest amount to help the club out. Most of the Shute Shield clubs for example will have a lot of sponsors. Some of them do a similar thing to what the Force have done in recent years and have a different sponsor on each jersey.

Total dollar value is the only thing that really matters.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
From the above you got me thinking about sponsorship and I foolishly believed Rugby was well ahead of the game.

Super Rugby

Tahs have 28 sponsors / partners
Force have 9

Soccer

Sydney have 76 sponsors / partners

Central coast have 63

Please tell me how a broke little town on the Central Coast can have more sponsors than the Tahs unless it run by a lazy out of touch Admin up against managers who get fired if they don't get results.

You should have a look at Collingwood's numbers (Australia's richest club)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
And where's that got them on the field the past few decades? Apart from a lot of crap about Eddie McGuire.