• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can't blame you, fans have invested money, time and emotion into these teams and then to have them cut because SANZAAR screwed up the expansion is a real kick in the guts.

Agree with this.

however, its up to the force to put enough good results on the table to force a rethink.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
ARU organisation at it's finest. Received an email today advising, that as a Wallaby First member, bookings for the domestic Tests are now open. Clicked on the link, chose a couple of games and when I hit the buy tickets button I received the same message each time - "tickets are not available at this time"

All I wanted to do was check pricing to see how much I was going to be gouged this year and I couldn't even do that.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
News reports from overnight make me very concerned that Brumbies are in the firing line, which made me consider this: Axe Brumbies, Force have gone down path of supporter/owner model, so good luck to them, Rebels owner is on life support from ARU for (secret) top-ups which run out soonish and if they continue to make financial losses will close at their own hand - win-win for ARU who gets to keep their two jewels.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Some my think sporting body in Australia focused on the top for to long and forgot to water the garden.

Could this be happening because of the quality of our player depth?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It doesn't generate enough revenue to pay enough good players to stay and play here for our 5 Super rugby teams.

That is true.

Revenue comes from supporters and even the purest are frustrated with the ARU, but remain supporters of Australian Rugby.

We need to grow the support base, and that will help with revenue, based on the comments on hear the people up top have annoyed people - that doesnt garner support, and has those sport loving fringe supporters going else where.

T

TOCC

Australian rugby produces enough players for 5 Super Rugby teams.

It doesn't generate enough revenue to pay enough good players to stay and play here for our 5 Super rugby teams.

That is really only part of the parcel...
Coaching, talent identification and development pathways are a bigger issue..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Such a cop out, plenty of coaches have been overlooked for domestic coaching gigs for reasons other then money.. the coaching development pathway is even more broken then the players development pathway

Agreed. A lot of that comes down to lack of opportunities though.

There are what? 6 full time head coaching jobs in Australian XVs rugby plus 2 in Sevens. There are then about 20 full time assistant coaching jobs. In sevens particularly it becomes blatantly obvious how difficult it is to find a good coach at national level who is an Australian. How are they meant to learn their trade?

There's then a litany of very part time (at least in terms of salary) or unpaid coaching jobs.

At grassroots level, coaching is well and truly what creates interest in the game, particularly when they are good. The grassroots game is driven by volunteers and the core volunteer is likely to be the team coach that generates interest amongst a group of kids and parents and takes them through a number of years growing their interest in the game.

In my view the best investment the ARU could make would be to hold a lot of level 1 coaching courses and make them as close to free as possible. Follow it up with a campaign of level 2 coaching courses.

That doesn't go anywhere towards creating opportunities at the professional end of the game but it will certainly help grassroots interest.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That is true.

Revenue comes from supporters and even the purest are frustrated with the ARU, but remain supporters of Australian Rugby.

We need to grow the support base, and that will help with revenue, based on the comments on hear the people up top have annoyed people - that doesnt garner support, and has those sport loving fringe supporters going else where.

The ARU just lurch from one problem to another - and when it's quiet on the SANZAR/IRB front they pick a fight with their major supporters by imposing a tax on the people who support the game and without whom there would be no game.
None of us are consulted about what we think should happen: once a year we are asked to complete a survey about whether we'd go to more games if the jerseys were a different colour.
They'd rather leave the true diehards - i.e. the posters on here, with our disparate views but our common passion for the welfare of the game - to speculate for a further 2 months, while any sane person would be de-investing their emotions from all of the 3 franchises said to be under threat.
I reckon their should ba "fan" seat or 2 on the ARU board: not bank gouging execs or former wallabies but people who have lived the grass roots.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Loosing a team because we cant compete with the big boys.

If that can not be seen as a kick up the arse, and lift your game - fook me.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I seriously don't know how cutting a team is going to help the remaining 4 and I strictly speaking about on field performance.

Say we cut the Force/Rebels/Brumbies half or 3/4 of the players will head overseas and what's left will be spread across the other 4, at this stage (round 4) I don't see any players that I would like to have at the Tahs.

All this Super Rugby Structure aside, teams MUST start performing on the filed, no excuses, 3,4 or 5 teams. Our teams have been pathetic so far this needs to change regardless of the future structure.

I know it must be hard to for players and coaches, the uncertainty of where they are going to be next year and lack of responses from SAANZAR/ARU but you would think players would be playing for their future! Surely OS and local scouts are already lurking, some of these guys are not even trying!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Say we cut the Force/Rebels/Brumbies half or 3/4 of the players will head overseas and what's left will be spread across the other 4, at this stage (round 4) I don't see any players that I would like to have at the Tahs.

Agree with most of that but I'd swap Hodge for Kellaway and Horwitz in a heart beat.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think anybody that believes that different on-field results would have changed anything is deluded. Even had the Australian teams managed to score a few wins against foreign opponents, it wouldn't be enough. The teams are broke. The model is not financially sustainable. Travel is not just taxing on the physical wellbeing of the players, it is a crushing financial burden for the competition.

Professional sport needs business models that can survive periods of lean on-field results. The Cleveland Browns find ways to turn a profit, despite practically never winning a game.

The game is broken. I'm a QLDer through-and-through, but I haven't watched a game this season (had to drop foxtel as I couldn't afford it). If the ARU insists on going down the road they're on I'll probably forget the game for good. It's not worth the emotional investment.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Based on they way he performed last year yes!

What annoys me the most is that the Sunwolves are there because of the $$$ and the Jaguares are basically the Pumas, the Argies are not allowed to select OS based players so the Pumas are essentially playing the comp, they are pushing for another team AND mark my words we will be talking expansion in the next couple of years in Japan/Argentina ... at the expense of one our teams.

It would be a lot easier to argue for 5 teams if our franchises were firing

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
@Sauron
I don't think NZ have been asked to drop a team.
Maybe;
On field results attract crowds (Just look at Reds in 2011).
Maybe crowd create revenue, that can support the game.
Maybe NZRU board is doing things differently to the ARU board.
I know the Poms invest very heavily into the grass roots and their U20s compete.

I know the Poms have made huge steps forward over the last 4 years as their grass roots progress through - now they are 18 from 18. There performance since the RWC isnt directly related to Eddie Jones.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Dave,

In England the best rugby players end up in our sport. In Australia, the best potential rugby players, or most of them, end up in the NRL or the AFL.

There is SFA we can do about that. Money talks, bulldust walks.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dave,
In England the best rugby players end up in our sport. In Australia, the best potential rugby players, or most of them, end up in the NRL or the AFL.

There is SFA we can do about that. Money talks, bulldust walks.

Yeah I agree with that, but not completely.

If our governing body was better i do think rugby would be better out here.
Back when players were not paid at all (amater), and NRL did pay, and over seas did pa I believe he retained and competed at a high level.

I started this thread how many pages ago because i thought ARU was out of touch with Australian Rugby.