• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
If you take the first five test out when the played like shit after deans left what's his win percentage?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Things are crook in Tallarook.

This thread is supposed to be about differences between Grass Roots rugby and Brand Wallaby, and whether one organisation can perform as the peak body for both sets of stakeholders.

Since certain threads have been shut down, the leftover dialogue from those threads has infected other threads like a secondary cancer.

Brand Wallaby is the cash cow and their financial success will always subsidise grass roots rugby, which produces the raw material for Brand Wallaby. There is a 15+ year lead time.

QRU run both grass roots, NRC and the Reds.
NSWRU have privatised the Tahs, using the licence fee to fund grass roots rugby. NRC in NSW is run by "others"
ACTRU run grass roots rugby in ACT, they work with Tuggeranong Vikings to run NRC, and work with a couple of Southern NSW zones to run the Brumbies franchise.
VICRU has recently taken over Rebels Super Rugby Franchise and run the NRC team but they rely on a lot of talent from outside their bourders and funding from ARU to stay afloat. Privatisation of the Super Rugby Cash cow didn't seem to work in Victoria.
I don't know enough about how things work in the Wast, but they still rely on support from outside WA grass roots for professional players, but it is encouraging that their grass roots machine is producing some quality players like the Haylett Pettys, Hoskins and Godwins etc.

There is no consistent model for grass roots, third tier or professional rugby across the states and territories. What hope is there for the same at ARU/Wallaby level?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I know Link's Wallabies head coaching career was bookend by RC campaigns, but a 50% record - some would say that is scandalous.. :)

There are still a few unknowns that have not been confirmed from the right mouths regarding just how hands on Link was in terms of "other" roles/commitments. Did he really hire Patston? Yes they were at the Reds at the same time, but was it Link that interviewed her or someone else at the ARU or did Link just "parachute" her in?

Head coaches past and present bring in people and keep on those that were under previous regimes, and some head coaches have to adjust their expectations due to established processes and policies.

I guess a book or candid interview may be the only way to reveal what Link got right and where he think things turned on their head.

I hate the fixation with blind statistics. A pure win:loss ratio just doesn't cut it. I have always said the mode of play and the intent is far more important. I was ready to see the back of Deans at the RWC on 2011. The game plan was just woeful along with the planning to execute said plan.

I would actually rate Link's tenure as far better regardless of results because apart from a couple of games (eg. France Test 2) they actually sought to play rugby. I think Link made some fundamental mistakes with regard to support coaches and selections but at least the intent and mode of play was largely there. He certainly leaves better foundations than Deans did.

T

Train Without a Station

If Deans left after the RWC he would have left he team in a reasonable position to build off. 2010 would have been better, but ultimately the worst of Deans tenure was his last 18 months

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

This thread is supposed to be about differences between Grass Roots rugby and Brand Wallaby, and whether one organisation can perform as the peak body for both sets of stakeholders.

Since certain threads have been shut down, the leftover dialogue from those threads has infected other threads like a secondary cancer.

Brand Wallaby is the cash cow and their financial success will always subsidise grass roots rugby, which produces the raw material for Brand Wallaby. There is a 15+ year lead time.

NSWRU have privatised the Tahs, using the licence fee to fund grass roots rugby. NRC in NSW is run by "others"
ACTRU run grass roots rugby in ACT, they work with Tuggeranong Vikings to run NRC, and work with a couple of Southern NSW zones to run the Brumbies franchise.
VICRU has recently taken over Rebels Super Rugby Franchise and run the NRC team but they rely on a lot of talent from outside their bourders and funding from ARU to stay afloat. Privatisation of the Super Rugby Cash cow didn't seem to work in Victoria.
I don't know enough about how things work in the Wast, but they still rely on support from outside WA grass roots for professional players, but it is encouraging that their grass roots machine is producing some quality players like the Haylett Pettys, Hoskins and Godwins etc.

There is no consistent model for grass roots, third tier or professional rugby across the states and territories. What hope is there for the same at ARU/Wallaby level?

Mr Jarse - the Wallabies do next to nothing for "grass roots" some funding rolls down but the large portion basically funds the status quo. The grass roots is still dependant on the club members fund raising.

As for the NRC, I hate to be the negative bloke all the time, but I said at the time the whole competition design just wasn't viable long term. The real grass roots, the clubs got sidelined and that left behind most of the supporters. Hence as the competition has progressed most of these "semi-pro" games are attended and watched by less people than the weekly Shute Shield games.

To bring this back to the purpose of the thread the ARU is that inept they created a competition which was basically the same as the old failed one, with a few more spending controls, but basically only had one real feature that I could see that could have been advantageous. That of centralised control. But even that advantage was squandered with such poor promotion and scheduling. So next year it is likely that the NRC will be unfunded and another opportunity to improve the "grass roots" will be gone along with valuable capital. The Pulver effort has been no better than the Flowers job.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I hate the fixation with blind statistics. A pure win:loss ratio just doesn't cut it. I have always said the mode of play and the intent is far more important. I was ready to see the back of Deans at the RWC on 2011. The game plan was just woeful along with the planning to execute said plan.

I would actually rate Link's tenure as far better regardless of results because apart from a couple of games (eg. France Test 2) they actually sought to play rugby. I think Link made some fundamental mistakes with regard to support coaches and selections but at least the intent and mode of play was largely there. He certainly leaves better foundations than Deans did.

It was a flippant comment Gnostic as I know some on here have love to compare win/loss ratios of Deans/Jones/Knuckles with Macqueen.

Deans Wallaby career definitely ebbed and flowed in terms of the mode of play. I thought he should've gone after the WC because it was a but all over the show, but then in 2012 we did see some of that good rugby that was evident in 2009-10. Then the wheels fell off again for the Lions with the Rabbit at 10 fiasco (not dissimilar to Beale at 10 for Bledisloe).

Link did seem to improve things from what he inherited I guess this tour will show if the foundations are solid.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

The governing body doesn't need to "run" everything in the sense of micromanaging everything from 6s to Wallabies. What the governing body does need to do is to set a coherent framework for the game to prosper and grow and this includes how the administration of the game is structured. I'm not sure that having GPS old boys running every level of the game is going to give us the administration that we need - too narrow a base for ideas and new thoughts.

You're right in saying that the Wallabies provide most of the income, certainly at the moment. One challenge facing rugby is for other parts of the game to make money as well - partciularly Waratahs, Reds and Brumbies and eventually Rebels and Force as well.

The NRC has been a good step, not perfect, but definitely very positive. I think we can build on it, but as with everything, it all depends on how competent the administration are.

Growing the game will be difficult, but long term it just has to be done. With changing immigration patterns the anglo-celtic proportion of the population shrinks every year, rugby needs to engage with cultural and ethnic groups which aren't traditionally rugby. The CEO of the AFL was in western Sydney this week with primary aged kids of middle-eastern background kicking Aussie rules balls around. Rugby have the perfect vehicle to engage with these groups - 7s. No need to understand the technicalities of scrums and lineouts, less contact, easy to understand and it's an Olympic sport.

And could the mods please zap anything which mentions people or events from closed threads (particularly those with over 200 pages):)

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The governing body doesn't need to "run" everything in the sense of micromanaging everything from 6s to Wallabies. What the governing body does need to do is to set a coherent framework for the game to prosper and grow and this includes how the administration of the game is structured. I'm not sure that having GPS old boys running every level of the game is going to give us the administration that we need - too narrow a base for ideas and new thoughts.

You're right in saying that the Wallabies provide most of the income, certainly at the moment. One challenge facing rugby is for other parts of the game to make money as well - partciularly Waratahs, Reds and Brumbies and eventually Rebels and Force as well.

The NRC has been a good step, not perfect, but definitely very positive. I think we can build on it, but as with everything, it all depends on how competent the administration are.

Growing the game will be difficult, but long term it just has to be done. With changing immigration patterns the anglo-celtic proportion of the population shrinks every year, rugby needs to engage with cultural and ethnic groups which aren't traditionally rugby. The CEO of the AFL was in western Sydney this week with primary aged kids of middle-eastern background kicking Aussie rules balls around. Rugby have the perfect vehicle to engage with these groups - 7s. No need to understand the technicalities of scrums and lineouts, less contact, easy to understand and it's an Olympic sport.

And could the mods please zap anything which mentions people or events from closed threads (particularly those with over 200 pages):)

A young CEO might help with the connecting with grassroots. Gill doesn't mind having a kick of the footy and Demetriou was the same.

Can Pulver take the 'blazer' off and go down to a local area and throw a few cut outs with the boys and girls? It's not just players that make the difference but as the AFL does pretty well, they recognise that administrators can also help with the grassroots stuff rather than being in the corporate boxes all the time.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There are a number of posts on the forums of the Pulveriser turning up to Sydney Uni Colts games to watch his boy play footy.

While it hasn't been recorded on the forum that he has sold any chook raffle tickets or worked the BBW, there are a few posts on here where it is recorded that he has had frank conversations with gaggerlanders about the state of the game while watching his boy play.

I think that the Pulveriser does try his best to get out and about without the blazer. It is possible that other heavy hitters in Rugby have not embraced BP's willingness.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Can Pulver take the 'blazer' off and go down to a local area and throw a few cut outs with the boys and girls?

He likes getting dressed up in full playing kit. It's just weird what other CEO out there plays dress up other than Richard Branson.

Or getting in the sponsor V8 car, should have been a player, CEO's don't make the news putting Izzy in the car would. Pulver must have failed the sports administration subject Looking After Sponsors 101.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
What, is he being paid $150-200k pa? That's what a normal father in an executive role might get and they get to watch their sons play each weekend.

He said himself he is the custodian of the game. Nice that he went to see his son play? That's what Dads do. The CEO of the ARU needs to do that twice a season and spend the rest of the season at all sorts of venues.

He was on the Central Coast one weekend and did not even know there was a local competition.

Watching Sydney Uni Colts each weekend is not really broadening his horizons too much.