• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep....... Italy didn't offer much except for the usual strong scrummaging.

They're a team that has been roller skating backwards for years now, and this should've been an easier match than Fiji, who also fielded an understrength team but unlike Italy have actually progressed over time.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yep... Italy didn't offer much except for the usual strong scrummaging.

They're a team that has been roller skating backwards for years now, and this should've been an easier match than Fiji, who also fielded an understrength team but unlike Italy have actually progressed over time.

I think we've bought the same brand of roller skates.:)

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
It's good to know that when you have an old school buddy in office you can always count on him for support to help you get a job - seems that pulver is pulling strings to get rob Clarke back down in Melbourne running what's left of the rebels - ps Baden is most probably employed by imperium ( as are the other off field staff) so when cox offloads - no existing ceo in place - welcome aboard Clarke

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It's good to know that when you have an old school buddy in office you can always count on him for support to help you get a job - seems that pulver is pulling strings to get rob Clarke back down in Melbourne running what's left of the rebels - ps Baden is most probably employed by imperium ( as are the other off field staff) so when cox offloads - no existing ceo in place - welcome aboard Clarke

Straight out of the ARU management manual.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The only way my "perception" could change is if we get a commission, then id have faith decisions are/were being made for the good of Australian Rugby

But the effectiveness of any commission depends on who is appointed to it and thus who makes the appointments. Supposedly we have an independent ARU board, but it hasn't really solved anything. In fact it could be argued that it has made things worse.

The only way to reform the ARU is to break the control of the NSWRU and the QRU and to a lesser extent the ACTRU. We've seen that none of these are prepared to do so and the ARU aren't really keen on it either as there is a mutually convenient arrangement whereby the state unions act as client states supporting the oligarchy of corporate hacks on the board, while the ARU funds the states and allows them to run their fiefdoms. Quite a cosy little relationship.

This is why some of us see the only solution as a complete collapse of the ARU followed by government intervention.

IMO we should be following a modification of the RFU model, whereby clubs directly affiliate with the national body (i.e. no state RUs). The country is then broken into administrative regions for roll out of resources (DOs, funding etc), academies and local competitions.

Kooka Ranger

Frank Row (1)
Does anybody know what ARU gives in funding to schoolboy rugby.
I know the metropolitan clubs have strong junior comps but for regional juniors there's very little past 14s in small towns
So it's boarding school if you want to keep playing it and lets face it most country parents can't afford it even if they do it anyway

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The only way to reform the ARU is to break the control of the NSWRU and the QRU and to a lesser extent the ACTRU. We've seen that none of these are prepared to do so and the ARU aren't really keen on it either as there is a mutually convenient arrangement whereby the state unions act as client states supporting the oligarchy of corporate hacks on the board, while the ARU funds the states and allows them to run their fiefdoms. Quite a cosy little relationship.

It becomes increasingly difficult to deny this. Australian rugby woes start with the QRU and NSWRU, and end there. The ARU sits in the middle, but the real cause begins in Brisbane and Sydney.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Does anybody know what ARU gives in funding to schoolboy rugby.
I know the metropolitan clubs have strong junior comps but for regional juniors there's very little past 14s in small towns
So it's boarding school if you want to keep playing it and lets face it most country parents can't afford it even if they do it anyway

My understanding is that the ARU cut all funding to the Australian schoolboys this year and as far as I know provides no funding to schools for rugby programmes.

T

TOCC

My understanding is that the ARU cut all funding to the Australian schoolboys this year and as far as I know provides no funding to schools for rugby programmes.

I thought the ARU did provide some funding as part of the BMW sponsorship of schoolboys and U20s, however BMW have pulled that sponsorship as of the end of this year and no new sponsor has come on board.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Even worse is the total neglect of and complacency from the ARU re GPS schools rugby. These schools like it or not are THE key feeders for Australian rugby talent and, what is often forgotten, feed large quantities of kids into local junior clubs as well who then play rugby twice on weekends.

These schools are being courted intensely by AFL and soccer let alone the well-known scouting of GPS talent that comes from the NRL.

Yet the ARU has no pro-active program to support the growth and skill levels etc of rugby in GPS schools - their historical adherence to rugby is merely taken for granted by the ARU as a kind of bequeath from the heavenly bodies that will never be threatened.

It's indicative of the way the ARU conducts itself and its policies in general so we are certainly not surprised. Just alarmed at the emerging consequences as rugby loses code share within its most important feeder system.

Kooka Ranger

Frank Row (1)
Even worse is the total neglect of and complacency from the ARU re GPS schools rugby. These schools like it or not are THE key feeders for Australian rugby talent and, what is often forgotten, feed large quantities of kids into local junior clubs as well who then play rugby twice on weekends.

These schools are being courted intensely by AFL and soccer let alone the well-known scouting of GPS talent that comes from the NRL.

Yet the ARU has no pro-active program to support the growth and skill levels etc of rugby in GPS schools - their historical adherence to rugby is merely taken for granted by the ARU as a kind of bequeath from the heavenly bodies that will never be threatened.

It's indicative of the way the ARU conducts itself and its policies in general so we are certainly not surprised. Just alarmed at the emerging consequences as rugby loses code share within its most important feeder system.

Look let's face it do you really want the ARU overly involved in GPS, CAS or any other of the top tier schoolboy comps. They are doing a great job without them
My point in asking about schoolboy funding was the country club system fails outside of the big regional centres. If the ARU could pass some scraps down to form more secondary comps like the now defunct Western Assoc Schools (W.A.S)
It would pay dividends.
As for AFL and soccer at GPS schools, they wouldn't be there if boarder numbers hadn't fallen of a cliff

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Ummm, kind of, with the key exception that JO'N and M Carroll are given a biased free run to articulate woefully and inaccuately self-serving versions of 'why it isn't all our fault'.

That's because B Harris is a notoriously lazy rugby journalist who used to survive by leeching off ARU leaks that of course always favoured the ARU's position on any issue at hand.

He was one of a number of like-minded rugby journos whose history of excuse-making and positive rationalising of ARU mistakes and deficiencies helped mask the delapidated and self-serving state of the ARU board and thus aided that board's perpetuation of the myth of its own righteousness and capability despite rapidly growing evidence to the contrary.

T

TOCC

I'm glad you got that off your chest, RedsHappy.

Who would you like to see on the Board?

Wamberal, answer me this, do you believe that the current board haven't made a poor decision in the past 3 years and do you believe that the current board is currently offering the best stewardship for rugby union in this country?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
No, of course I don't. But neither do I believe in the scientific theory of parallel universes.

The current board have obviously made mistakes. But as I have pointed out many times, if they are to be judged, it should be in the real world, not some imaginary paradise that would have eventuated if only they had made the "right" decisions.

The game's problems in Australia are largely inevitable, given the nature of the sport, the reality of the competition here for players, sponsors, viewers, etc etc, the international competition for our players.

There's an interesting article in the Fairfax press this weekend in which the Shute Shield is quoted as being in wonderful health, with record sponsorships, crowds, and player numbers.

Does the ARU get any credit for that? (I am not saying that they should, but it does seem a bit unfair to blame them for the weaknesses that are not in their control but not give them credit when things apparently go right).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No, of course I don't. But neither do I believe in the scientific theory of parallel universes.

The current board have obviously made mistakes. But as I have pointed out many times, if they are to be judged, it should be in the real world, not some imaginary paradise that would have eventuated if only they had made the "right" decisions.

The game's problems in Australia are largely inevitable, given the nature of the sport, the reality of the competition here for players, sponsors, viewers, etc etc, the international competition for our players.

There's an interesting article in the Fairfax press this weekend in which the Shute Shield is quoted as being in wonderful health, with record sponsorships, crowds, and player numbers.

Does the ARU get any credit for that? (I am not saying that they should, but it does seem a bit unfair to blame them for the weaknesses that are not in their control but not give them credit when things apparently go right).
The Shute Shield's health based on the last say 5 years is DESPITE the ARUs "contributions".
The comp has gone better since they stepped away from it.
Do you want to give them credit for having enough insight to know that if they withdrew from SS it would flourish? That supports the argument for the whole lot of them pissing off and letting us run the game.

T

TOCC

Sunwolves lose 94-7.....

Im a fan of Japan inclusion, but the model under which they have been included clearly isn't working, their lack of competitiveness makes a mockery of the competition and undermines the integrity and viability...

Yet here we are, they aren't even on the chopping block yet an Australian and South African teams are... SANZAARR have lost perspective