• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
From what we hear about ARU finances, they may have to downgrade to this very soon.

Old_caravan-_Resized_1000_563_60_int.jpg
Caravan of Excellence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnowBeast

Frank Row (1)
Time for a new CEO. The search is on! I am launching a bit of an awareness campaign to shine the light on people that would be perfect for the role. Peter Maddocks is the man for the job.!

Who am I-.png

SnowBeast

Frank Row (1)
Talk to some easts players before championing this bloke

Im an Easts bloke. Pete is a no nonsense straight shooter, keep it simple brush the bullshit contender with a strong corporate CV.

Any problems any current players have with him would probably stem from them not liking a nice dose of the truth about how they are going..

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Im an Easts bloke. Pete is a no nonsense straight shooter, keep it simple brush the bullshit contender with a strong corporate CV.

Any problems any current players have with him would probably stem from them not liking a nice dose of the truth about how they are going..
You're wrong.
But in any event it is no part of the role of a board member to critique individual performances of players.
Besides which he is just more of the same problem: same school as pulver and hawker.

SnowBeast

Frank Row (1)
Bullshit..I'm a former GM of the club, ex player, ex club captain..

He was the Vice-President of Football which gives him carte blanche to critique as he wishes, he was the bloke responsible for the program.

He is no-where near the same ilk as Pulver and Hawker, not even close.

You're wrong.
But in any event it is no part of the role of a board member to critique individual performances of players.
Besides which he is just more of the same problem: same school as pulver and hawker.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
SO we have had a banker (who certainly knew plenty about bonuses and severance packages), a software bloke (who ironically for an IT bloke didn't do shit in the online world or take Rugby to the new world or media content in any significant way) and now people want more "corporates"?

Anybody think somebody with a proven record in sports management, particularly with regard to an international sport, would be a good idea. While we are at it how about getting rid of the board altogether and going to a commission style body and remove the networks dominated by the QRU and NSWRU and RUPA.

Lets not forget that RUPA has held a very nice stool milking the cow for all their worth since professionalism hit and have neatly ensured that the elites have been very well looked after and F%$# the rest.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Bullshit..I'm a former GM of the club, ex player, ex club captain..

He was the Vice-President of Football which gives him carte blanche to critique as he wishes, he was the bloke responsible for the program.

He is no-where near the same ilk as Pulver and Hawker, not even close.
Maybe you've propped up the bar with him for too long and have "lost perspective".

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
SO we have had a banker (who certainly knew plenty about bonuses and severance packages), a software bloke (who ironically for an IT bloke didn't do shit in the online world or take Rugby to the new world or media content in any significant way) and now people want more "corporates"?

Anybody think somebody with a proven record in sports management, particularly with regard to an international sport, would be a good idea. While we are at it how about getting rid of the board altogether and going to a commission style body and remove the networks dominated by the QRU and NSWRU and RUPA.

Lets not forget that RUPA has held a very nice stool milking the cow for all their worth since professionalism hit and have neatly ensured that the elites have been very well looked after and F%$# the rest.

If they can't find someone in the carpark that is Sydney, they're not fucking trying! ;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

The new CEO needs to be someone from outside the very small gene pool which is Australian rugby. The bloke being talked about above seems to be just more of the same.

I'd have thought that a proven record in sports management would be an essential qualification. I think that Reds Happy put together a very good list of desirable qualities either earlier on this thread.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Now that you ask, let me deal with this in terms of key qualifications (which is where it all should start, not by naming names first up):

1. First up, I would keep zero persons from the current ARU board. The alignment of this current ARU board with the strategic and operational needs of the code today is like that of choosing a hippopotamus upon which to play polo.​
2. I would design a 7 person board - larger boards notoriously decline in coherence and effectiveness.​
3. I would source a Chairperson with a successful history in the building and strategic leadership of an international pro sporting code based upon important amateur feeder roots. Certainly does not have to be rugby. And ideally with much international experience relating thereto.​
4. I would require a Rugby Coaching Stream Representative. A person with long experience of either being a successful elite rugby coach and/or building a successful bottom-to-top rugby coaching infrastructure (btw and e.g., Ewen McKenzie comes to mind for this role). Not at all necessarily from Australia, btw.​
5. Next a 'Grass Roots Representative'. 1 representative elected by a formal ballot process every say 3 years by members of, or directly nominated by, all the grass roots amateur rugby clubs in Australia.​
6. The CEO - critically, like the Chair, with similar qualifications. Certainly not an 'insider elite rugby mate'.​
7. I would allow RUPA to nominate 1 person as the Rugby Players' Representative but this person must be duly elected by all pro Australia-based rugby players as per 5 every 3 years and certainly not a RUPA 'insider mate'.​
8. Next, 1 person os suitable experience nominated by the 5 largest (by $s spent) funding sponsors of any layer of Australian rugby over the past 3 years and rotating every 3 years.​
9. Finally, to make 7: 1 person chosen by a Nominations Committee as having notable managerial qualifications and strategic business expertise in a field reasonably designated as having relevance to a professional sporting organisation like rugby, e.g., a highly people-intensive business, perhaps media, and such like.​

Here it is.

Potential CEOs would be someone like Ian Ritchie. (ex RFU and All England LTCC)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/17/ian-ritchie-step-down-chief-executive-rfu-rugby

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Could be an interesting one. Might need to find out what happened at the Bulldogs though as she left under a bit of a cloud.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
“I never wanted to throw any team under the ‘bus’ but to create a situation that considers retaining a team (the Rebels) that has lost almost $30 million (including nearly $17.5m additional cost to the ARU) since 2011 at the expense of a team that has incurred additional cost to the ARU of only $5.5m since 2005 is outrageous!” Stooke wrote. “We should be rewarding success not failure. To introduce financial criteria that have nothing to do with the financial viability of each team is less than appropriate.”

Saids it all. Time for the ARU to not do any bailouts from here. If the Rebels under the VRU go into debt and can't pay their debts they sort it out or they go into Adminstration. Same with other Super Rugby sides. Otherwise the ARU make an already bigger mockery of their decision to cut the Force with their much improved balance sheet under the Own the Force and TF backing. Yes pity the Force sold to the ARU their licence as that was when they signed off their death certificate and pity TF did not come in a year earlier. Legally always thought Force could be cut as changing competition from 21 to 18 teams to my mind always meant alliance agreement sounded flimsy with this major change.

Super Rugby is a flawed product and don't want to see any more money going into propping up Super Rugby teams beyond standard distributions as if the ARU have any credibility left (which is questionable) then in view of them making big decision to cut the Force this needs to stop. I don't expect the Rebels to survive in this scenario as I see them as the least financially viable oz super rugby franchise and nothing changed to convince otherwise.