• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby Development Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Apart from the facts, 1. Eastwood own the ground, and 2. there's PLENTY of space to do shitloads of rugby stuff. Ditto for Ballymore.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Apart from the facts, 1. Eastwood own the ground, and 2. there's PLENTY of space to do shitloads of rugby stuff. Ditto for Ballymore.

You could also add Eastwood had that outer Western Sydney University called Macquarie and the North Ryde Industrial Estate said to be the biggest IT centre in the southern hemisphere with over 40, 000 of the highest paying jobs in Australia and over 50 of the worlds top IT and Medical companies on the doorstep with no competition as SFC are moving.

But who needs big corporate support.

T

TOCC

It should never been attached to a club for obvious reasons. Unless it was Penrith, they could really use the help.

Club parochial bias shouldn't have been a factor for the location of the Australian Rugby Development Centre, if Eastwood owning the ground meant that was more money which could be invested in the project itself, then that's all that matters..

ARU has leased the land at Moore Park, at what cost?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Construction seems to be going full guns blazing at the site which is good.

Providing the ARU with a long term home that is in a sporting precinct surely can only be a good thing. Over time it is hopefully cheaper than being in commercial office space at St Leonards.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^

Braveheart

I don't think anyone is questioning the need for such a facility.

I think most believe a proper process was undertaken to choose Moore Park. Further most I think believe it will be well managed and attached to UTS and with two shared playing fields again most believe it is an excellent facility.

What is in question is the logic of Moore Park as it seems like a narrowing of the base. To those outside the inner city, eastern and southern Sydney Moore Park is a nightmare to get too. Additionally it adds to the perception of rugby being and Eastern Sydney game.

Not seeing all the facts and figures tis difficult to argue Eastwood or Bally should not have been chosen. You would hope Eastwoods stance on the NRC had nothing to do with the decision.

For me two general questions about Eastwood arise [note bias I support Eastwood] first there is no other code here unlike Moore Park, next to TGM is a huge IT and Medical research industrial centre and a world leading university in IT. Plus the university has a lot of playing fields at a place called ""The Middle of No Where""

In summary it looks like it will be an excellent facility and I can only assume a proper evaluation process took place. My question is with the evaluation process as the perception of rugby being an eastern Sydney code for private school boys and lets go no further west than George Street gets another tick.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well, let's rule out Ballymore because the NSW Government was hardly going to fund a facility in Queensland. Who knows whether the Queensland Government was sounded out regarding funding but given this is primarily about the location of the ARU, it would seem unlikely that they would choose to relocate to Brisbane.

Who knows whether Macquarie Uni was interested in contributing funding or whether the NSW Government was interested in adding funding for that location. There clearly seems to be a desire to have a sporting organisation hub at Moore Park and presumably that contributed to the decision by all stakeholders.

This location aligns with where things are currently located and is surely beneficial from that perspective.

I don't think perception is at all important here. It results in exactly nothing in real terms in relation to developing the game in western Sydney or the Hills.

The ARU and NSWRU need to be doing plenty out there, but the location of their office doesn't really have an impact on that.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

I am not sure that it is as simple as "Eastwood owns the ground". North Ryde RSL has some kind of financial interest in the site as well.

And there was a fair bit of local community opposition, apparently.

Sadly.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I am not sure that it is as simple as "Eastwood owns the ground". North Ryde RSL has some kind of financial interest in the site as well.

And there was a fair bit of local community opposition, apparently.

Sadly.
The state government owns the Ballymore grounds too - it can only be used for Sport and recreation under the deed of grant to the QRU, which raises lots of questions around what any development money can be put towards

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Didn't the Millner family donate the land to the community with the express intention that the land is used for Rugby purposes.

I think there would be a Trust Board that administer the land, not a local council. I think the financial interest in the site held by the North Ryde RSL is due to the financial rescue of Eastwood Rugby Club, not the Trust Board.

I think the ARU proposal to effectively take over the site came up against opposition from the RSL as well as local community groups. I suspect that ARU may not have realised that they needed to comply with the Trust Board requirements who are administering Colonel Millner's estate with respect to how the land is used and improvements made.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

The ownership of TGM has been discussed earlier, check my post #19 on the subject.

My understanding is hat North Ryde RSL own TG Millner Field

They don't. The Eastwood licensed club (a different entity to the rugby club) ran into difficulties some time ago and was effectively gifted to North Ryde RSL in return for running it at the ground. The real estate has ALWAYS been owned by Vimiera Recreational Grounds, blokes like Brett Papworth are directors of VRG. See here: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Eastwood-Rugby-TG-Millner-Complex-4411672.S.221274739?view=&gid=4411672&type=member&item=221274739&qid=0eafd482-b863-41a2-9e11-c122befb05cd&trk=group_most_popular_guest-0-b-cmn&goback=.gmp_4411672

T

TOCC

Construction update, in the photo below you have the ARU HQ U/C on the left and NRL HQ on on the far right, with both the Roosters and Waratahs HQ in the middle 2 story building.

T

TOCC

Progress no real change,
Centennial Park 20th Jan 2017 by Jimmy Cassidy, on Flickr

In this photo you can see a 2 story void, which i assume will be the 'double height ceiling indoor training space'
Centennial Park 20th Jan 2017 by Jimmy Cassidy, on Flickr

a33dd1d1e9cb97a7cb40afbc44a0307b

d3f55e664a5c28b7ab29cc512afbb5c9

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Now that I think about it: why do they need a weights room at corporate headquarters - are they going to have one in all state capitals so that "wallabies" can train in their state capital?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
and the lack of weight on those barbells could be a good place to start
:confused:

Have you seen the price of CGI barbells lately? ;)

Now that I think about it: why do they need a weights room at corporate headquarters - are they going to have one in all state capitals so that "wallabies" can train in their state capital?

It includes an indoor training facility and other sports science related things. It's not just the ARU's office building.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Seems the Tahs getting huge favouritism then

Should the ARU have turned down UTS and NSW Government money to help build them a new facility?

The Tahs have their own weights room. Maybe they will use part of the new ARU facility at times but it would be likely to be minimal. If it's pouring with rain surely they should be training outside!

Status
Not open for further replies.