• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Basketball is also one his his great skills, with the contact running through till year 12 for him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him off to the States with his boot money to try his hand at College Basketball.

I had a friend that coached him for footy that said the same thing. Really sounds like an amazing athlete

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I see no reason he shouldn't be allowed to play for Kings.

The Australian Schoolboys may be a different story, though. There's an argument to be made that a spot in that side should be reserved for people who want a future in the game. Though you also want the best 15 on the field, regardless of their future commitments.

Seem to remember there's precedent for leaving these guys out, I think they did it with Tepai Moeroa maybe? Could be wrong.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Tyson Frizzell toured the UK with Schoolboys,then announced he was going to league went he got home.
That was 2009/10 I guess, so it would have changed after that.
It was no secret about the 2 newington centresbeing professional league players whilst at school in 2013?
So that’s the window when thecpolicy changed.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Why would the school or the GPS as a whole do this?

The biggest thing Kings get out of this kid is him playing rugby for the school.

It would be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Because they have an expectation on their students that they play a winter and summer sport, which is clearly communicate to parents when they enrol their child. Playing for an NRL club and keeping up a winter and summer sport for your school I think would be impossible. In my world I consider that a double standard and a slippery slope.

Also without going near the controversial part of the GPS code of practice, playing one sport a year is not to be encouraged

''While allowing for some exceptional circumstances, we believe that it is poor educational practice for a boy to engage in a single sport throughout the year''

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Because they have an expectation on their students that they play a winter and summer sport, which is clearly communicate to parents when they enrol their child. Playing for an NRL club and keeping up a winter and summer sport for your school I think would be impossible. In my world I consider that a double standard and a slippery slope.

A school that can't cope with outside interests? Why would you send a kid there?

There is nothing wrong with playing for an outside club, even League.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
A school that can't cope with outside interests? Why would you send a kid there?

There is nothing wrong with playing for an outside club, even League.
Yeah i don't it's entirely the case, unless they clash.

If there is a clash the expectation is that you choose the school sport.

I chose chess because fuck school.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Seem to remember there's precedent for leaving these guys out, I think they did it with Tepai Moeroa maybe? Could be wrong.

Tepai Moeroa played for Aust Schoolboys rugby in 2013 even though he was know to have signed with Parramatta league.

There was a time when players had to sign a document to the effect that they hadn't signed for a rugby league club prior to going on an Aust Schoolboys tour. The last guy I remember being left out was Tyrone Smith in 2001 who had signed for the Roosters and thus was unable to sign the document in question. There may have been others after this.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Also without going near the controversial part of the GPS code of practice, playing one sport a year is not to be encouraged

''While allowing for some exceptional circumstances, we believe that it is poor educational practice for a boy to engage in a single sport throughout the year''

That's not the case though. They are playing school sport as a priority which is exactly what the school wants.

It's not like Kings has to ask Souths for permission for their student to play rugby for the school.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Hasn't been updated for 6 years that board
2017 list: Tepai a few caps

2018 list: Look what we found down the back of the couch!

One thing you'll notice, though, is that the listees at top (including Tepai) all date back to 2013 and earlier. Vunipola Fifita possibly the only exception.

Starts being shared around more, touring cut back … Dunno.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
2017 list: Tepai a few caps

2018 list: Look what we found down the back of the couch!

One thing you'll notice, though, is that the listees at top (including Tepai) all date back to 2013 and earlier. Vunipola Fifita possibly the only exception.

Starts being shared around more, touring cut back … Dunno.
No idea how they award those caps. Are games vs NZ Barbarians counted.

Are they only awarded to the starting 15?

No Matthew Willshire played in all games in 2016, no Esei Haangana played at least 3