• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I guess now that he's back in Super rugby the whole Quade debate re-opens, so here goes. As good as he is, his defence, in particular his penchant to go high all the time, rules him out for me. It was his biggest weakness two years ago, and he has shown in his first match back in Super rugby that he has no intention of changing it, he just doesn't care. He was penalised for a high tackle against the Brumbies.
Look, I have no doubt that when in form he is a better 10 than Foley, he sets his supports up better, dictates play better, kicks better, is more creative, is about equal as an attacking runner and they are both soft defenders but can be hidden, as can most 10's. However, the evidence suggest that if you select Quade you have a 50% chance of spending at least 10 minutes with 14 men, he doesn't seem to have any inclination to change that, and I just don't believe you can afford that. And that's not state bias, I have the same opinion of Tolu Latu (for different offences obviously).

Considerable exaggeration.

But at any rate the hype around Quade is just WB fans wanting an option to Foley. What Quade needs to do is knuckle in at Rebels. The rest looks after itself. Or not.

All I can say is that the Rebels fans are a lot happier with their halves combo right now, than the Waratahs are.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Any talk of Quade and a Wallaby role is premature, i think he is great to watch but i also think he is still a liability in terms of game control and decision making. He is great to watch for exactly the same reasons which he is unsuitable for Test level rugby, 50/50 passes make for exciting rugby at Super Rugby level, but the tolerance of risk at test level is so much less.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Any talk of Quade and a Wallaby role is premature, i think he is great to watch but i also think he is still a liability in terms of game control and decision making. He is great to watch for exactly the same reasons which he is unsuitable for Test level rugby, 50/50 passes make for exciting rugby at Super Rugby level, but the tolerance of risk at test level is so much less.

I'd say the same about Foley, but unlike Quade he is terrible to watch a Super level.

I hope they wipe the slate clean and pick the best 10 from Super rugby this year. I'm happy if it's Foley, or Quade, but only if they deserve the position. I really hope Lealiifano keeps playing like he did on the weekend. Paret of the issue has been the 10 has no pressure on them for their spot.

Reactions: TSR

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'd say the same about Foley, but unlike Quade he is terrible to watch a Super level.

I hope they wipe the slate clean and pick the best 10 from Super rugby this year. I'm happy if it's Foley, or Quade, but only if they deserve the position. I really hope Lealiifano keeps playing like he did on the weekend. Paret of the issue has been the 10 has no pressure on them for their spot.
As good a chance as any for anyone else to put their hand up. Looks like Foley will be playing behind a beaten pack all year. Hard to look good in those circumstances.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Is there a point in picking lealiifano at test level,and requiring him to play a different style?
There is zero chance Cheika will be changing style at this point in time.

Reactions: dru

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
QC (Quade Cooper) still goes too high into contact and is still lacking confidence in his running game. Froggy's 50% comment was an exaggeration, but a yellow is certainly a possibility if he is on the field. And that's unacceptable when we already have the most carded player in the history of the game captaining the team as well.

Lealiifano had a great game on the weekend and I really hope he builds on that for the rest of the year so Cheika will at least give him a run against Georgia or Uruguay, because we all know that no matter what anyone does or how they play, Foley will be picked at 10 for the main games.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Braveheart I owe you an apology for a post I made towards you last week as it was not very respectful and did not encourage positive debate. I will try and be better than that in my future posts. Regards RN

Reactions: TSR

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)

Spot on, I wouldn't let Quade anywhere near the Wallabies but I bet Cheika will. Quade and Will Genia try and run everything themselves (Quade having no respect for Richard Graham as Reds coach and contradicting everything behind his back is shocking and now I completely understand why and respect Brad Thorn for making the call to evict Quade). I wouldn't let Genia anywhere near the Wallabies again either, totally overrated, plus Jake Gordon, Tate McDermott and Harrison Goddard are gems and will leave if not recognised soon I fear.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Spot on, I wouldn't let Quade anywhere near the Wallabies but I bet Cheika will. Quade and Will Genia try and run everything themselves (Quade having no respect for Richard Graham as Reds coach and contradicting everything behind his back is shocking and now I completely understand why and respect Brad Thorn for making the call to evict Quade). I wouldn't let Genia anywhere near the Wallabies again either, totally overrated, plus Jake Gordon, Tate McDermott and Harrison Goddard are gems and will leave if not recognised soon I fear.

Sorry your evidence that Quade should not be in the WBs is because you support Graham over Genia during that period at the Reds?

OK. ish.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Sorry your evidence that Quade should not be in the WBs is because you support Graham over Genia during that period at the Reds?

OK. ish.

Greg Martin said on the Fox Rugby Podcast last year that Richard Graham and the coaches would lay out the game plan to the Reds players, but Quade didn't want a bar of it and wanted teammates to follow him despite Graham being the coach.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Still, Graham was coach and not Quade, and presuming this story is true and the players followed Quade instead of graham, how did that season work out for them?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If this was the issue then it was on Graham to take the lead and drop him or find some way to discipline him. If you do nothing you're accepting the action and shouldn't have anything to complain about.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
These last few posts are a weird throwback and are also treading over some well worn stereotypes.

The reality for Cooper is 2019 at Super Rugby level and test level if he gets the chance is that he needs to fit into a side, do his job and not try and become solely responsible for the result as he was at some points in the past. He looked like he was doing the right thing in his first Rebels game.

His biggest attribute at his best was his ability to almost single-handedly win games. His worst attribute was that he would try too much and be responsible for losing a game.

It's not like you don't want him taking any risks. It's just that the risks need to be calculated and he needs to play percentages.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
These last few posts are a weird throwback and are also treading over some well worn stereotypes.

The reality for Cooper is 2019 at Super Rugby level and test level if he gets the chance is that he needs to fit into a side, do his job and not try and become solely responsible for the result as he was at some points in the past. He looked like he was doing the right thing in his first Rebels game.

His biggest attribute at his best was his ability to almost single-handedly win games. His worst attribute was that he would try too much and be responsible for losing a game.

It's not like you don't want him taking any risks. It's just that the risks need to be calculated and he needs to play percentages.
Agree, but I think Brad Thorn will be proven right over time because he is building a Reds team that is the total opposite of one or two players single handedly winning you games (if you can’t defend, aren’t tough enough or don’t have a good attitude you’re not allowed within 10km of Ballymore).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agree, but I think Brad Thorn will be proven right over time because he is building a Reds team that is the total opposite of one or two players single handedly winning you games (if you can’t defend, aren’t tough enough or don’t have a good attitude you’re not allowed within 10km of Ballymore).

I don't disagree that Cooper needed to be moved on from the Reds if they were going to properly rebuild. He was too strongly linked to the way they played and it was difficult to try and change that with him still playing 10. The same has happened at plenty of sporting clubs where a senior player isn't suitable in that transition even if they are a great clubman who everyone loves. That is kind of why they need to move on.

The Tahs were in a somewhat similar position at the end of Phil Waugh's career.

I'm not going to discuss Cooper's defence and attitude. I don't think that's really why Thorn went in a different direction.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
As good a chance as any for anyone else to put their hand up. Looks like Foley will be playing behind a beaten pack all year. Hard to look good in those circumstances.

On the other hand, the Wobbs Ten had better know how to play behind a beaten pack, eh?