• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
They say ignorance is bliss.

From the last published QRU annual report:

"I'd like to acknowledge all 37 players who represented Queensland in 2017. It is a privilege to represent your state and wear this jersey with its proud 135 year history...."

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Clearly the Reds and Waratahs treat getting selected for the team as representing the state. They still have that function and carry the history.

They're professional sporting teams primarily now though (and largely, so are the Wallabies) and they operate within that environment in terms of having a squad and a budget and a multi-year outlook.

The other big aspect is that they have no greater claim over local players than any other team in the country. The only advantage they hold there is that those players already live there and may have a stronger desire to play for that team and would accept a lower offer on that basis.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Mate the fact is, that games kick off here at 7.45
Let me ask you something, Dan - it's not a loaded question, just in the line of discussion - why are games kicking off at 7.45?

e.g. … been like that for 20 years, yada yada yada, reason [x] here …

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)

"I'd like to acknowledge all 37 players who represented Queensland in 2017. It is a privilege to represent your state and wear this jersey with its proud 135 year history.."

People can represent a club - They can not pick anybody from outside their listed squad of contracted players - no matter how much they are carving up the Brisbane Premiership.

The Reds can call it what they like but they haven't been a representative team for several seasons now.

S

Show-n-go

An alternative I have thought of, kind of a half-assed attempt, would be to commit to staying in SANZAAR for Super Rugby if NZ allow us to enter 5 teams in Mitre 10 Cup, without Ranfurly Shield eligibility of course, instead of persevering with the NRC.

5 teams, retaining existing identities.

i had that thought also but as said already, too much history etc involved with it. Mitre10 doesn't need to be a huge financial success, i think we'd be chasing our tail going after some sort of involvement in that

S

Show-n-go

Mate the fact is, that games kick off here at 7.45, which is 9.45 in NZ, and might as well be midnight as far as most are concerned, yet some games from SA are on at 5.30 am in NZ, I was over theer a couple of weeks back and watched NZ games and SA game at 5.30, and talking to a lot of rugby people, hardly any watch Aus games as time no good. Bugger me mate I never watched night games from Perth when Force played, after 9pm kick off for most people is too late.

Thats fine, i don't agree with you, guarantee you more people are watching footy games in NZ at 9:45PM than they are at 5:30AM. But that's not what you said initially

and like i said, without SA whats stopping us from tailoring that kick-off times to suit our collective needs? This is why the NRL and AFL flourish, they are able to tailor competition to suit their market. 2 hour time difference is so bloody manageable to end up with a desirable product, japan is one hour behind us, easy as!!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Let me ask you something, Dan - it's not a loaded question, just in the line of discussion - why are games kicking off at 7.45?

e.g. … been like that for 20 years, yada yada yada, reason [x] here …

So there's enough time to finish the previous broadcast and still have adequate lead in for the next one.

From memory, half a dozen or more seasons ago and earlier, the Australian games kicked off slightly earlier but they had to keep cutting off from the end of the NZ broadcast too often if it was a slow game (injuries etc.) so they pushed the Australian kick-off back a few minutes.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
People can represent a club - They can not pick anybody from outside their listed squad of contracted players - no matter how much they are carving up the Brisbane Premiership.

The Reds can call it what they like but they haven't been a representative team for several seasons now.

Er they've been picking blokes from 1st grade the last few weeks.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

"I'd like to acknowledge all 37 players who represented Queensland in 2017. It is a privilege to represent your state and wear this jersey with its proud 135 year history.."

I am a Reds supporter and have previously been a member, but I have never viewed them as a Queensland Team, the Reds are based here but are a franchise who given the right circumstances and loads of cash could be based anywhere.

A senior representative team should be made from players who have played within the state for a club before their first game for the state.

The Reds have had people in their team and playing before they have even played a club game.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
you're entitled to your view of course but the fact is, it IS the senior QLD rugby rep team in exactly the same way as in the league, netball or anything else.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
you're entitled to your view of course but the fact is, it IS the senior QLD rugby rep team in exactly the same way as in the league, netball or anything else.

But when you you begin a phrase with "but the fact is.........." you need to follow it with facts.

The Reds are professional franchise based in Queensland that includes players from other states and territories (and countries), and are not in any way similar to a representative team in the mold of the Queensland State of Origin team.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

What you call ignorance I call acknowledging the realities of professional sport. But hey. Live in the past.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Right there is where you've blown your argument apart. The Maroons are a rep team as they draw players from range of club for 3 games a year. They don't contract any of them. They don't train with each other full time. They are literally for SoO. They only select players who at the very least started their senior footy in Queensland. The Reds do and have contracted player from other states and Super Rugby teams. Pretending they don't and that players they recruit have no connection to Brisbane clubs prior to being contracted is just false.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Reds are the equivalent of the Broncos, Titans, Cowboys, Suns, Lions and Roar. They are a team not derived from any specific location. They play in a specific location but the moment professionalism arrived they became a location for anyone looking for an opportunity. If you reverted back to an amateur ethos and made it a true representative team, you’d lose 95% of the high end talent who’d chase opportunities elsewhere for a career. It’s just the reality of the situation, unless everyone else reverted back to the amateur days it would just be a place where people would spend a year or two before been identified or they just wouldn’t choose that pathway at all. They’d play league or head to another location that potentially could provide a career. The clubs would actually be worse off for attracting juniors/talent if there was no professional opportunity. The world has moved on

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They also plucked Seb Wileman from Warringah ("that's in Queensland").

he's been playing club footy up here all season. His club form earned him selection in fact. But he picked up a contract, if only a training one.

Sefa, however, will leave Ballymore more than likely never having represented his 'club'.

It is not a representative team in that it is a selection of the best players playing in QLD. It is a team representing Queensland made up of players contractually obliged to do so.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I've proposed a couple of alternatives on here, and previously have advocated for other ideas such as two competitions (e.g. mirroring the North with a domestic comp and a Super Rugby Cup mirroring Challenge/Champions Cup format), and going it completely alone.

Everybody just says 'that won't work'.

What we have now IS NOT WORKING.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
(e.g. mirroring the North with a domestic comp and a Super Rugby Cup mirroring Challenge/Champions Cup format), and going it completely alone.
These could be made to work IMO.

Even a TT-M10 could - but NZ aren't up for that now (and Aus rugby needs its house in order regardless).

Could be a breaking point in the next few years, though, when a lot of stuff might be back on the table.