• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
But when you you begin a phrase with "but the fact is...." you need to follow it with facts.

The Reds are professional franchise based in Queensland that includes players from other states and territories (and countries), and are not in any way similar to a representative team in the mold of the Queensland State of Origin team.

Wrong. It is a fact that the Reds are the senior representative rugby team for QLD according to the authorised body who run rugby in QLD, the QRU.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Let me ask you something, Dan - it's not a loaded question, just in the line of discussion - why are games kicking off at 7.45?

e.g. … been like that for 20 years, yada yada yada, reason [x] here …

Yeah mate, BH answered question, but I know it is slightly annoying isn't it, mind you done for right reasons!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Thats fine, i don't agree with you, guarantee you more people are watching footy games in NZ at 9:45PM than they are at 5:30AM. But that's not what you said initially

and like i said, without SA whats stopping us from tailoring that kick-off times to suit our collective needs? This is why the NRL and AFL flourish, they are able to tailor competition to suit their market. 2 hour time difference is so bloody manageable to end up with a desirable product, japan is one hour behind us, easy as!!

Lol mate, yep well we will beg to differ, that is reaction I got from everyone I spoke to in NZ, and that to be honest isn't what I could call in anyway a fair sample I suppose, just rugby people I know, but even our own bored mate here WOB has agree as he says Aus games just don't suit his viewing time.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I've proposed a couple of alternatives on here, and previously have advocated for other ideas such as two competitions (e.g. mirroring the North with a domestic comp and a Super Rugby Cup mirroring Challenge/Champions Cup format), and going it completely alone.

Everybody just says 'that won't work'.

What we have now IS NOT WORKING.

Don't mistake my belief that an idea won't work with my wish that it could not. I've said before and I'll say again, I would love it if we could walk our own path from NZ and SA, ideally with our own domestic or extended domestic comp of real quality, that helps develop a strong national team.
I believe, however, that financial issues are a massive hurdle, and any talk of NZ involvement is fanciful as they are unlikely to sacrifice anything currently working for them to help us.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Don't mistake my belief that an idea won't work with my wish that it could not. I've said before and I'll say again, I would love it if we could walk our own path from NZ and SA, ideally with our own domestic or extended domestic comp of real quality, that helps develop a strong national team.
I believe, however, that financial issues are a massive hurdle, and any talk of NZ involvement is fanciful as they are unlikely to sacrifice anything currently working for them to help us.

It's partly why I've previously suggested a revised NRC format that involves our 5 plus the likes of Fiji and now Samoa. It's also why I think RA should allow GRR to have a 2nd team Aus. team in GRR. Allow both Super Rugby and GRR to run their scheduled/planned seasons and then take our 4 and those 3/4 and play an extended NRC that kicks off after the soon to be July window and through the RC.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It's partly why I've previously suggested a revised NRC format that involves our 5 plus the likes of Fiji and now Samoa. It's also why I think RA should allow GRR to have a 2nd team Aus. team in GRR. Allow both Super Rugby and GRR to run their scheduled/planned seasons and then take our 4 and those 3/4 and play an extended NRC that kicks off after the soon to be July window and through the RC.

That'd be great. If cash. One of the sticking points for me with the NRC is lack of any real "association" with the confected teams in NSW, so while I would watch it sometimes, I didn't really have a sense of any of them being "my" team. If a NSW team was playing in that sort of comp, albeit a step-down from Super Rugby level, I would feel differently, for sure.

S

Show-n-go

That'd be great. If cash. One of the sticking points for me with the NRC is lack of any real "association" with the confected teams in NSW, so while I would watch it sometimes, I didn't really have a sense of any of them being "my" team. If a NSW team was playing in that sort of comp, albeit a step-down from Super Rugby level, I would feel differently, for sure.

I don’t understand why they didn’t persevere with the ARC more, at least there was an attempt at tribalism and making a connection to teams then

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

The way I see it. It would be 100% professional while providing the best from clubland a look in. Considering the ratings for Super Rugby it would certainly draw more eyes than the current NRC is. I'd even be happy to play it under GRR variations as they do help provide consistently entertaining Rugby.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The way I see it. It would be 100% professional while providing the best from clubland a look in. Considering the ratings for Super Rugby it would certainly draw more eyes than the current NRC is. I'd even be happy to play it under GRR variations as they do help provide consistently entertaining Rugby.

If we were to go our own way, the best option to my mind would be for the five Oz franchises, plus PI teams, HK and the Sunwolves as a comp. That would get it to around 8-9 teams, which could be viable and in closer time zones.

The NRC may still exist as a pathway from club to GRR/Super Rugby.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
If we were to go our own way, the best option to my mind would be for the five Oz franchises, plus PI teams, HK and the Sunwolves as a comp. That would get it to around 8-9 teams, which could be viable and in closer time zones.

The NRC may still exist as a pathway from club to GRR/Super Rugby.

With the restructure of the Top League which will also feature a change in schedule to align more with Super Rugby, GRR etc. Any Japanese involvement would be questionable at best. So any if this were to occur perhaps the AP Dragons would be another option.

I actually think Super Rugby could be restructured to actually allow for something akin to what you suggest while also incorporating a Champions Cup sort of set up. Something along the lines of splitting the current set up into four leagues of 8 teams. Our five plus Fiji, HK and the Dragons. NZ the teams from their Premier Div from the ITM Cup plus the Kafiga, SA with 7 of their provinces plus the Jaguares and the top division of the Top League. Let all four play a 16 week sechedule (14 rounds plus 4 team finals) and then move on either a 32 team straight knockout Cup or an 8 x 4 pool set up with at least every pool having a team from one of the 4 leagues with rankings from league play determines your pool. Odds and evens would be how I would work it. Each team would play their in pool either once for 3 games or home and away (my preferred) for 6. Winner of each pool that through to the Super 8 with would be a straight knockout to determine the overall winner.

Total length would run between 20-23 weeks and 17-22 games (league finals included) the the respective teams. Best of both worlds.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeh the Japanese ship has all but sailed, especially in a domestic structure. Perhaps some collaboration in a cup structure would be possible but the Top League restructure has put the nail in the coffin.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's a shame, because there could have been some decent synergy between OZ and Japan, along with the PI nations. Everybody could have won in that situation.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
To be fair, I not sure Japan would ever be interested in joining with Aus for a club comp , I understand that there is probably nothing to make it worthwhile for them. I don't know it would ever work as there seems to be an awful lot of money to be paid to players in Japan, and would just end up with arguments over salary caps etc, and certainly joining other 3rd rate teams from around the Asian area would not hold much appeal for them I suspect.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Wrong. It is a fact that the Reds are the senior representative rugby team for QLD according to the authorised body who run rugby in QLD, the QRU.

Do you think that the Brisbane Heat are a QLD representative team in T20 cricket?

I think the set up for the Heat and Reds is similar. Both have the support of the state but are individual franchises owned by the state.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Reds are the Queensland rugby team and have a long history of being a representative team. The fact that they are now a professional rugby team doesn't remove that history or their ability to carry it on.

It's both things. The two are not mutually exclusive.

It is the rugby team that represents Queensland. There is however no qualification criteria for how you can be selected to play (i.e. starring in the Brisbane Premier Rugby comp doesn't guarantee you selection).

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Robinson reporting that Taniela Tupou has been offered an extension to take him through to the next world cup around the same value as what was offered to Kerevi, starting at 800, rising to 1m by 2023

Is that the magnitude of contract that Samu walked away from?!

If so he can get farrrrkkkkkkked

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is that the magnitude of contract that Samu walked away from?!

If so he can get farrrrkkkkkkked

rumour has it his Japanese contract is pushing $1.2M a year. So about $400k more than what RA were offering him. 50% more. Plus the family factor.

I hate it. But I can understand it.

Still a generous offer for both considering the relative experience. Probably more understanding that Nella get's that offer than Samu (at the time). Although I reckon Nella could get big money OS. Just don't think he wants to live that lifestyle yet.