• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I'll read between the lines for you on this one.

Is GPS Schoolboy Rugby a product that the ARU 'contractually' own and can sell to Foxtel or anyone else?

It is a confidence sapping statement by a CEO who is out of their depth when it comes to items of a 'contractual' nature.

New sponsors to the ARU off the back of their principled stand? That would stop the outrage train.

The other thing that I find puzzling about the whole episode is that the Instagram post in question remains up and published. Not deemed offensive enough by Instagram to remove.

It's odd that you would expect that the CEO would dive into the weeds when describing a deal like this. Clearly the individual schools would have to be at the table in some capacity. Its common to contract with a broadcaster centrally, surely? I don't think she's for a moment suggesting thay fox is gonna rock up to Hunters Hill and be like yea soz we shoulda called first but we are here to broadcast the match?

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Raelene Castle came out in February this year big announcement to the press that they were in talks to have schoolboy rugby broadcast on television. Appreciate that this was never going to be a money spinner but more promotional and exposure exercise, with a cheap and cheerful outside broadcast spend.

https://www.espn.com.au/rugby/story/_/id/26032778/rugby-australia-keen-broadcast-schoolboy-rugby

It's now December and nothing, that would be a talking a big game and not delivering.

There is a reason why people lack confidence.

Also to rehash an earlier post I don't believe Rugby Australia have secured any new sponsors off the back of their stance on 'inclusion' if they did it would give confidence.

If the CEO and Directors are overseeing a well run operation that has made a courageous stand, opted for the hard decision over the easy one, is it then unreasonable that there would be more organisations wanting to associate with Australian Rugby via sponsorship, given its principled stand.

To me this is where the rubber hits the road, in the whole Folau drama, for Rugby Australia.

Raelene and Cameron need to hit the phones tomorrow, maybe Peter Fitzsimmons and Liz Ellis can lend a hand as well.

I would have thought that Clynes' big end of town connections would have helped open sponsorship doors, but so far not so. HSBC have gone, which opens up a spot for a bank. Unfortunately, CBA has the cricket, Seven has the tennis, Nab has the AFL and Westpac facilitate , well, you know, we wouldn't want to associate with them (we have our values) . We've closed down our car manufacturing in Australia. We have beer and gambling. Oh wait, RA have a little arrangement with some boutique beer mob. That leaves gambling. Ok, over to you for sponsorship ideas.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I would have thought that Clynes' big end of town connections would have helped open sponsorship doors, but so far not so. HSBC have gone, which opens up a spot for a bank. Unfortunately, CBA has the cricket, Seven has the tennis, Nab has the AFL and Westpac facilitate , well, you know, we wouldn't want to associate with them (we have our values) . We've closed down our car manufacturing in Australia. We have beer and gambling. Oh wait, RA have a little arrangement with some boutique beer mob. That leaves gambling. Ok, over to you for sponsorship ideas.

FYI Yenda is owned by Coca-Cola Amatil. Landrover is the vehicle sponsor. Bet365 are the betting partner. MJ Bale signed on in Sept for another four years. Santos recently signed on for the Wallaroos and Womens 7s. Give it rest. I'm sure more could have been done if everyone wasn't spending their time on the bible basher.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Ding ding!

WE got a slight jump on the rest of the world in the late 90's after importing a little bit from league defensive coaches. Other than paying players, that's about all we did, and that effect wore off a few years later when everyone else did the same.

Only one try conceded in the whole 99 World Cup..sigh

I'm surprised by you B'man. To say that's all we did is to ignore the innovative attacking plays introduced to Super Rugby by the Brumbies right through to 2004. I'm sure someone will tell me that the second wave attack was formulated by Randwick back in the 60s, but the way the Brumbies used it in those early days changed the way a lot of other teams in the professional era played the game.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
FYI Yenda is owned by Coca-Cola Amatil. Landrover is the vehicle sponsor. Bet365 are the betting partner. MJ Bale signed on in Sept for another four years. Santos recently signed on for the Wallaroos and Womens 7s. Give it rest. I'm sure more could have been done if everyone wasn't spending their time on the bible basher.

Thanks so much for that update. I've never tried Yenda - is it any good?

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)

According to the press release MJ Bale signed on for 4 years in February pre dating the IF saga.

https://australia.rugby/news/2019/02/04/mj-bale-and-rugby-australia-partnership

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Why does Rugby Australia sign the Head Coach to a 4 year deal and New Zealand Rugby sign a coach who has served 8 years in an assistant role to the retiring Head Coach of the worlds most winning team over that period for only 2 years?

Very different approach by the CEO and Board of the respective countries.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Because one is a coach with a strong record of turning under performing teams into winning teams via excellent talent identification and smart game plans. The other is Ian Foster. Who once made a Super Rugby final, I guess.

As KiwiM said on the NZ rugby thread, that the AB's HC race somehow ended up as Foster vs Robertson is a very poor outcome on NZR's part.

Just because NZR does something doesn't inherently make it a good decision.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's a tough one, and I see the arguments on both sides.

RA is looking for long-term stability in the Pro ranks, which extends to players as well as coaches. A lot of four year deals kicking around, even for relatively untried players like Daugunu.

A four year deal gives Rennie the runway he needs to get the team playing his brand of football, and iron out any issues that persisted under Cheika. It prevents him from being poached by big-money NH clubs or our Trans-tasman rivals, too.

Now the weakness is if he turns out to be a fizzer, and we are trapped with an underperforming side because we can't afford to pay out his contract.

It's a risk that RA seems prepared to take, and if they have done their homework on the bloke then they would suggest the risk is low.

Time will tell.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The annual RUPA lunch was on yesterday.

The award winners were as follows:

RUPA Medal For Excellence: Allan Ala'alatoa (Brumbies)
Newcomer of the Year: Isaac Lucas (Queensland Reds)
Community Service Award: Lachlan McCaffrey (Brumbies)
Academic Achievement Award: Angus Scott-Young (Queensland Reds)
Taylors Wines’ People’s Choice Australian Player of the Year: Grace Hamilton (Buildcorp Wallaroos)
NRC Players’ Player of the Year Award: Andrew Deegan (Western Force/Melbourne Rebels)
Australian Men’s Rugby Sevens Players’ Player of the Year: Maurice Longbottom
Australian Women’s Rugby Sevens Players’ Player of the Year: Ellia Green

The Players' choice Super Rugby team of the year was:
1. James Slipper, Brumbies – 18 appearances, 1 try
2. Folau Fainga’a, Brumbies – 17 appearances, 12 tries
3. Allan Ala'alatoa, Brumbies – 16 appearances, 1 try
4. Izack Rodda, Queensland Reds – 14 appearances, 1 try
5. Rory Arnold, Brumbies – 16 appearances, 4 tries
6. Pete Samu, Brumbies – 17 appearances, 5 tries
7. Michael Hooper, NSW Waratahs – 14 appearances, 3 tries
8. Isi Naisarani, Melbourne Rebels – 13 appearances, 1 try
9. Jake Gordon, NSW Waratahs – 16 appearances, 2 tries
10. Christian Leali’ifano, Brumbies – 18 appearances, 113 points (1 try, 4 pens, 48 cons)
11. Marika Koroibete, Melbourne Rebels – 15 appearances, 6 tries
12. Samu Kerevi, Queensland Reds – 15 appearances, 5 tries
13. Tevita Kuridrani, Brumbies – 18 appearances, 7 tries
14. Jock Campbell, Queensland Reds – 9 appearances, 2 tries
15. Tom Banks, Brumbies – 18 appearances, 6 tries

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Taylors Wines’ People’s Choice Australian Player of the Year: Grace Hamilton (Buildcorp Wallaroos)
NRC Players’ Player of the Year Award: Andrew Deegan (Western Force/Melbourne Rebels)

10. Christian Leali’ifano, Brumbies – 18 appearances, 113 points (1 try, 4 pens, 48 cons)

That's a bloody impressive team. Pity the selection for the Wallabies wasn't a democratic process for all Super players over the past 4 years.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

I'm sure someone will still say too many Tahs.......

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
The first thing i thought for when BR gave the team a positive review was "I bet there are basically zero tahs in it" lol

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's a bloody impressive team. Pity the selection for the Wallabies wasn't a democratic process for all Super players over the past 4 years.

8 of that team were in the first choice Wallabies XV at the RWC. 1 more was on the bench and 2 more in the RWC squad. Another one played tests last year. That's 12 of the 15.

Given 2 of our final first choice XV played little or no Super Rugby last year (Pocock and Petaia) and another three bench players were in the same boat (White, To'omua, JOC (James O'Connor)) then it seems like the players were on a very similar page to Cheika's selections.

I am pretty sure if the players were asked to vote for who they thought should be in the Wallabies XV they would have come up with most of the names above with a few variations... much like Cheika did.