• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I have to say , I always tend to wonder why there are so many attacks on RA, and for the first time in my life I looked a a league forum, just to see how people felt about no sport, and bugger me it seems that according to posters there league is run by incompetent management that most of the posters could out do, and have too many ex players and old boy network etc too. I had to check that I hadn't accidentally logged in here!! Seems all Australian sport the same, or surely it doesn't mean..... :p:rolleyes:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
My concern is RA should have instigated pay cuts and redundancies to protect its financial health as soon as chance for domestic derby happened. Afl and nrl acted swiftly and Rugby / RA has not which to me is not showing good leadership by RA to manage its way through the crisis to ensure it comes out the other end.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I suspect the NRL/AFL has a lot more fat to trim than RA, it's well reported how bloated they've come in the last few years especially in their own media departments which RA hasn't been able to match. AFL/NRL HQ have more employees than RA and all the Super Rugby teams combined.

Potentially the suspension of the Super Rugby season has a proportionately a lesser impact on Australian Rugby finances as a whole than they suspension of the NRL/AFL seasons, out to Jun/Jul at least when the test series commences.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My concern is RA should have instigated pay cuts and redundancies to protect its financial health as soon as chance for domestic derby happened. Afl and nrl acted swiftly and Rugby / RA has not which to me is not showing good leadership by RA to manage its way through the crisis to ensure it comes out the other end.

RN, are you saying we're in a tunnel? The rest of the country is on a bridge I believe.;)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Actually what I am saying is clear rugby finances under pressure paying full salaried employees when no rugby being played or expected to be played yet nothing done yet cf afl and nrl

Typical negligence from RA which is just another example why this code is in such trouble under this incompetent organsation called RA.

As RA let me explain business 101 when you earn no revenue you need to cut costs...

The lack of action to stop the blow out of financial losses here is mind boggling and gross incompetence by RA (yet again).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Actually what I am saying is clear rugby finances under pressure paying full salaried employees when no rugby being played or expected to be played yet nothing done yet cf afl and nrl

Typical negligence from RA which is just another example why this code is in such trouble under this incompetent organsation called RA.

As RA let me explain business 101 when you earn no revenue you need to cut costs.

The lack of action to stop the blow out of financial losses here is mind boggling and gross incompetence by RA (yet again).

What makes you think that every Australian player and RA/Super Rugby team staff member is still getting paid exactly the same as normal?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Alan Jones' artcle in today's Australian details some of those staff payments:
Raelene Castle, Scott Johnson and Rob Penney - $3 million, part of a
$15 million staff budget at Rugby Headquarters.
(Community rugby in Australia - $3 million).
The Wallabies play a dozen games a year, yet they spend $20m on player payments, $10m on camps, travel and accommodation and another $15m on high performance programs and staff.
15-20 full-time staff to coach the Wallabies for a dozen matches a season.

I haven't seen any media reports about cutbacks.
If nothing has been done yet, I am flabbergasted at the lack of sensitivity to the pain being felt in the hip pocket of rugby followers.
From a financial standpoint cutbacks are required.
The optics of not doing so is also a huge negative.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Given all the national unions are going to be smashed by this, I wonder if they'd look at doing something like a mini world cup either this November or next year to give everyone's finances a boost. A 12 team event (6 Nations plus RC plus Japan and Fiji) played over 5 weeks in Europe using the under 20's world championship format could generate a lot of revenue. The Nations Championship fell over so use that name.

I think something like this played on a regular basis could devalue the world cup, but I don't think it would as a one off under clearly special circumstances.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
. Here's a tip. If you want the truth, try to find a proper and unbiased source. This man is a farkwit of the highest order. When is the last time he wrote, or squawked, something positive about our game?

This is not a media report, it is an unverified, and biased, opinion piece.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Raelene Castle, Scott Johnson and Rob Penney - $3 million, part of a
$15 million staff budget at Rugby Headquarters.
(Community rugby in Australia - $3 million).
The Wallabies play a dozen games a year, yet they spend $20m on player payments, $10m on camps, travel and accommodation and another $15m on high performance programs and staff.
15-20 full-time staff to coach the Wallabies for a dozen matches a season.

If nothing has been done yet, I am flabbergasted at the lack of sensitivity to the pain being felt in the hip pocket of rugby followers.
From a financial standpoint cutbacks are required.
The optics of not doing so is also a huge negative.

Most of those numbers are plucked straight out of the financials.

High performance includes Mens and Womens Sevens, Wallaroos, Under 20s etc.

Core Wallabies play close to 30 games of rugby a year. The remuneration paid through RA isn't just for the Wallabies appearances essentially. It is just how it is structured. They are effectively getting paid from there to play Super Rugby as well (as well as getting some salary from their Super Rugby side).

In most years the Wallabies play 14 test matches. (3 in July, 6 in Rugby Championship, extra Bledisloe and 4 EOYT).

A significant part of the Wallabies remuneration is in match payments. That doesn't need to be cut. It just doesn't get paid if they don't play.

There will undoubtedly be significant cuts to player and staff salaries.

Reactions: TSR

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I always find that if you're gunna tear someone a new one it's important to Get. Your. Facts. Right. If Jones writes "Penney" when he means "Rennie" wtf else has he mis-written?

Also it occurs to me that with media outlets world-wide already taking or about to take a huge hit to their advertising revenue lifeblood, maybe Jones could set the example of how to behave in difficult times by taking the kinda pay cut he believes Castle, Johnson & Penney/ Rennie should be taking.