• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
ryZcmob.gif

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Believe it or not

Believe it or not, the Board sets the CEO's remuneration, so save your righteous anger for them.

The Board also appoint the CEO and unfortunately were negligent in conducting proper reference checking. Did anyone from the Board ring the Bulldogs? Their contract issues are now well documented.

Also it’s not like Raylene Castle has been approached for another role in the NRL where there is plenty of CEO movement among clubs.

My investment advice would be to stay away from any company that Cameron Clyne, Elizabeth Broderick, Ann Sherry, Brett Robinson, Paul McClean are involved in they are incompetent when it comes to reference checking CEO’s.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Board also appoint the CEO and unfortunately were negligent in conducting proper reference checking. Did anyone from the Board ring the Bulldogs? Their contract issues are now well documented.

Allegedly she went through six interviews and extensive reference checks before RA hired her.

No doubt Castle was involved in the Bulldogs contracting regime that ultimately backfired. How much of the blame belongs to her is fairly uncertain. The club's Chairman Ray Dib also got deposed after that and the coach Des Hasler got sacked.

It seems pretty clear from most NRL clubs that the chairman is substantially more powerful and influential in key decisions for clubs than the CEOs.

Looking a RA, it's been pretty clear how powerful Cameron Clyne has been as chairman.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Regardless of what Raelene Castle does, people will find fault with it.

Likewise, regardless of what Raelene does, people on this forum will defend her beyond comprehension and accuse anybody who is holding her to account of being either sexist or a supporter of the old boys club, when in fact it is possible to be both unhappy with the way she has administered the game as well as being unsure as to who is the best person to come in and take over.

And FWIW, I'm not actually having a crack about the pay issue - I think it's been poorly handled by both RA & RUPA - but it's ridiculous that you caan't be critical of the CEO on this forum without being shouted down.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Likewise, regardless of what Raelene does, people on this forum will defend her beyond comprehension and accuse anybody who is holding her to account of being either sexist or a supporter of the old boys club, when in fact it is possible to be both unhappy with the way she has administered the game as well as being unsure as to who is the best person to come in and take over.

And FWIW, I'm not actually having a crack about the pay issue - I think it's been poorly handled by both RA & RUPA - but it's ridiculous that you caan't be critical of the CEO on this forum without being shouted down.
Many of the "criticisms" made against here have been poorly related to facts, and in fact for things over which she did not preside per se. If you make a fact-based observation, fine. If people want to make spurious claims, expect to be challenged.
I mean, she drops here pay, then drops it further after the issue of player payment is reviewed. Trying to make this a "She really fucked up there" play is, quite frankly, retarded.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'd be one of the most critical of her on this website, but I wouldn't go so far as to say she's not leading from the front in setting an example.

There is literally no better way of getting someone to agree to eating a shit sandwich than by showing that you are willing to take the first bite.

She's doing as good as anyone else is in this current situation - which is to say she's just managing things day by day and demonstrating that she can be flexible. No problems with what she is doing atm.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Many of the "criticisms" made against here have been poorly related to facts, and in fact for things over which she did not preside per se. If you make a fact-based observation, fine. If people want to make spurious claims, expect to be challenged.
I mean, she drops here pay, then drops it further after the issue of player payment is reviewed. Trying to make this a "She really fucked up there" play is, quite frankly, retarded.

I made a comment that I did not think she has handled the pay situation well considering a week after she then has to adjust it further, my point was the perception of that decision. "she really fucked up there' play, is quite frankly retarded.

Maybe we can keep the discussion civil.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Look I agree with that, overseas clubs are hardy likely to be flush with funds after this. But she is the CEO, she should have been more aware of what % pay cut the players were likely to be offered.

Giving herself a 2nd pay cut looks more reactive than leading from the front.
So the criticism is that she donated a huge wad of cash back to RA in two parts, most likely in the same pay cycle. Maybe if the players hadn't have dragged this out for so long she could have done it in one hit.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sorry if already posted or if overtaken by events but AFAIK the (former, you'd have to say) players haven't actually agreed to taking any kind of cut, have they? Last I heard it was "oh yeah, dock us 35% but stick it in a Trust account so we can get it back when all this blows over" so at least Castle's putting her money where her mouth is, beit a 50- or 65% cut.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Regardless of what Raelene Castle does, people will find fault with it.

The concept that the players shouldn't be required to take a higher wage cut than the staff who will still be working is a strange one.
I find it bizarre that any players think they are in a bargaining position atm.
A neighbor was telling me that DCE from Manly is suggesting that having to live on 100k is untenable.

I reckon he, and any Rugby player with Similar views should be transitioned to the job keeper program.....

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
This interesting bit came out today in an article from SMH blasting the NRL and Fox on their treatment of the game and rhetoric over the past few weeks. Everyone has missed it because it’s in an NRL article. Later in the article they outline Fox treatment to Castle. States RA was a week away from signing a deal with Optus. Take what you want from the article but if true changes the image of everything that’s happened.

Siege of Castle
And you thought they only played the Blame Game in rugby league!

Rugby Australia CEO Raelene Castle is under heavy fire as the embattled code struggles through uncertain times — and, in many respects, she deserves it.

It explains the deep level of frustration and pain felt by the many people who still love and care for the game.

That said, Castle’s crucifixion for not agreeing to a deal with long-time broadcaster Fox Sports pre-coronavirus is unfair.

Sources familiar with negotiations report she was only a week away from stitching up a lucrative deal with Optus, one that was far better than the offer on the table from Fox Sports, which had been bullying her for weeks into agreeing to terms.

That’s right: a week. Then the coronavirus went and spoiled it all by doing something stupid like infecting nearly 1.5m people across the world.

The Rugby Union Players Association might also be at war with Castle but a couple of staffers on the lowest of wages at RA tell this column she exhausted every option in trying to save their jobs.

Interim chairman Paul McLean has declared that Castle has “the full support of the board” — never a great sign — but it is unlikely she will be frogmarched anytime soon.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Siege of Castle

Rugby Australia CEO Raelene Castle is under heavy fire as the embattled code struggles through uncertain times — and, in many respects, she deserves it.

It explains the deep level of frustration and pain felt by the many people who still love and care for the game.

That said, Castle’s crucifixion for not agreeing to a deal with long-time broadcaster Fox Sports pre-coronavirus is unfair.

Sources familiar with negotiations report she was only a week away from stitching up a lucrative deal with Optus, one that was far better than the offer on the table from Fox Sports, which had been bullying her for weeks into agreeing to terms.

That’s right: a week. Then the coronavirus went and spoiled it all by doing something stupid like infecting nearly 1.5m people across the world.

The Rugby Union Players Association might also be at war with Castle but a couple of staffers on the lowest of wages at RA tell this column she exhausted every option in trying to save their jobs.

Interim chairman Paul McLean has declared that Castle has “the full support of the board” — never a great sign — but it is unlikely she will be frogmarched anytime soon.
Ive yet to see a single forum poster, social media mug or journo give a valid reason why she deserves it - outside of Folau.

Just wild unqualified statements about how bad she's been.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
This interesting bit came out today in an article from SMH blasting the NRL and Fox on their treatment of the game and rhetoric over the past few weeks. Everyone has missed it because it’s in an NRL article. Later in the article they outline Fox treatment to Castle. States RA was a week away from signing a deal with Optus. Take what you want from the article but if true changes the image of everything that’s happened.

Siege of Castle

According to the north shore rah rah brigade castle is also to blame for the coronovirus!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Would it be a better sign if McLean said she has "the half-hearted support of the board"? Or if he refused to comment?

What nonsense.