• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Ive yet to see a single forum poster, social media mug or journo give a valid reason why she deserves it - outside of Folau.

Just wild unqualified statements about how bad she's been.
True, but it’s Fairfax saying it this time, not News.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yep, it's all speculation what Optus might or might not have done.

I give her points for not just copping Foxtels first offer, and trundling off to a long lunch where they all congratulated each other for being so clever.
In what appears to be the practice of her predecessors

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
The Australian reports that: Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle is due to receive a $114,000 bonus despite the organisation recording a $9.4 million loss last year.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Australian reports that: Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle is due to receive a $114,000 bonus despite the organisation recording a $9.4 million loss last year.
Then if you read the SMH is says she hasn’t received a cent and is not expecting any in the current climate. Pulver also received a $500k bonus in the final year of his contract, which Castle is in the same year.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Once again, interesting timing for NewsCorp to publish this article now, clearly long after the fact that there’s not going to be any bonuses given............

Inflammatory journalism at its finest.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
With Rugby Australia currently having unsigned accounts due to going concern issues and at risk of going into administration I imagine this would also result in the four super franchises likewise being insolvent and moving into administration at the same time or soon after. They are dependent on Rugby Australia and dependent on Super Rugby and insolvency of Rugby Australia would render the Super Rugby contract terminated.

Does this then presume that the Sydney and Brisbane Club competition survives as they are not dependent on the ARU?

Do these club comps become the Stephen Bradbury of rugby in Australia last man standing and become the basis on which the new future of rugby in Australia is built?

Maybe Bill Pulver not giving the clubs any money famously saying ‘because they would piss it up against the wall’ is the best thing he ever did!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
My thinking is RA need a benefactor with big $’s to save the game at pro level so for me 3 options:
1. Venture capital comes in with nations championship concept reinvigorated and signed up giving RA funds for domestic Comp
2. RA works with twiggy and his rapid rugby concept - for that to have any chance to work RA would have to cede a lot of control to twiggy and co - would never have thought that possible before but RA are in weak position
3. None of the above happens and we go to a semi pro domestic comp (national club comp)
4. We go to super rugby comp where domestic sides play each other then have finals against other super rugby countries - personally think super rugby dead but this is maybe possibility but just can’t see RA getting a broadcast deal to fund this

My preferred options would be 1 or 2 but increasingly I see option 3 as more likely option playing out, but maybe also option 1 a serous possibility as VC funds were circling and now would be more then ever before but with less money on offer.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I for one would not like to see RA "cede control" to anybody : like them or loathe them, RA is our sport's governing body, and they represent all of us. And of course they are recognised as such by WR (World Rugby).

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
I for one would not like to see RA "cede control" to anybody : like them or loathe them, RA is our sport's governing body, and they represent all of us. And of course they are recognised as such by WR (World Rugby).

They represent most of us!
My opinion only but i think Raelene has been doing a rather good job in the shitty circumstances she was handed to her by Bill and that useless piece of work Clyne. When you think about she inherited Clyne, Cheika, Old boys network in her ear and probably one of the most political infighting sport in Australia.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
They represent most of us!
My opinion only but i think Raelene has been doing a rather good job in the shitty circumstances she was handed to her by Bill and that useless piece of work Clyne. When you think about she inherited Clyne, Cheika, Old boys network in her ear and probably one of the most political infighting sport in Australia.

Yep, the simple fact is that the job was, and is, a poisoned chalice. I for one cannot imagine anybody who is on the way up in the world of sports management wanting to take it on, and would be very suspicious of the motives (and capability) of somebody like Phil Kearns. Why does he want the job?

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
The possibility of RA going into receivership is an interesting one, I don't imagine the RUPA posturing would look all that brilliant if that happened!
The performance of the News Ltd papers in this instance has dropped even the pretence of editorial independence. Fox is on life support, and Castle's efforts on behalf of RA to secure a better deal has brought about the instruction from on high to crucify her by fair means or foul, and don't back off until she's gone and they can install their own puppet administration. Not that I ever thought there was genuine independence there, but they used to at least throw up a façade of independence, however they've dropped that now.
Really ugly stuff.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
On the subject of Pulver, who's also getting a fair shellacking here, I know him a little bit, have played golf with him, he's a pretty decent bloke. My reading, however, is he didn't ever have the balls to stand up to Clyne et al, we'll never know what his real opinion was, he just became a yes man. Clyne I see as the real poison.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

I wouldn't welcome them completely ceding control. More just control over the professional arm beyond that of the Wallabies. I think RA main responsibilities should be the national game and the community game. Participation and the like. They should have a seat on any organisation that emerged to run the pro game but not be the primary drivers of it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I wouldn't welcome them completely ceding control. More just control over the professional arm beyond that of the Wallabies. I think RA main responsibilities should be the national game and the community game. Participation and the like. They should have a seat on any organisation that emerged to run the pro game but not be the primary drivers of it.
I agree. Super Rugby, or any future competition, would probably benefit a lot from having a management team solely interested in the success of that particular competition. The committee of self interested national unions aren't suited to running anything. They just don't run it professionally.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The possibility of RA going into receivership is an interesting one, I don't imagine the RUPA posturing would look all that brilliant if that happened!
One thing about Pulver, in contrast with O'Neill, was the donation of half his exit year bonus (probably should have handed over the rest to the rugby foundation as well, but that's a separate punch up). But to reflect on that: What was the basis of such a move - possibly benefiting the non-pro game outside the reach of RUPA?

boyo

Mark Ella (57)

nYG0Dx3.jpg