• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
^ You can get some details from the ASIC website if you have a plastic card and a few bucks to spare on it. No leak required. But, for average punters like us, I wouldn't bother. The broad position is known. More particulars will come out soon enough in the bumpf of the usual annual report.

Only after they are lodged, though. I assume the 'leaking was from before they became available from ASIC, otherwise it wouldn't have been leaking.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Most (all?) of the DOs were paid rubbish money. The hours were horrid and not at all supportive of work/life balance.

There were some very good ones - some great ones in fact - but also a lot who were just doing it because it was a job until something better came along and/or they finished Uni.

I was a DO for about three years. Worked 6 days most weeks and 7 days on others. Some of these days would start at 8am and I wouldn't finish up until after 9 at night. Was paid peanuts but loved every second of it. I was a lucky one as I worked for a club so had some autonomy about what I did and a boss who was keen for actual quality engagements. Like every job there are some great people who do it and others who just aren't committed.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Apparently NRC has been chopped from this years calendar and up for review going forward. I suspect we have seen the last of it

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Apparently NRC has been chopped from this years calendar and up for review going forward. I suspect we have seen the last of it

certainly makes sense for this season there is literally no spot for it on the calendar, unless it was running in conjunction with Super and/or the Bledisloes, in which case there would be next to no-one watching it.

Muzza

Herbert Moran (7)
Im surprised no one has picked this up with all the doom and gloom going on. something positive

When the Junior Wallabies went within one point of a maiden under-20s World Cup last year, the hope was that Australian rugby was on the cusp of a golden new generation.
A historic seven-year drought-breaking 18-14 win by Australia's Schoolboys over New Zealand across the ditch reinforced the feeling the pathways were working and there was light at the end of a 17-year Bledisloe Cup black tunnel.
Now, two of the most exciting prospects in Australian rugby, Isaac Lucas and Harry Hockings, as well as a third established young Wallaby, Izack Rodda, are all but guaranteed to head overseas after their contracts were terminated by opting not to sign Rugby Australia's player pay cuts during COVID-19.
Yet last year's Junior Wallabies captain, Fraser McReight, who has been picked in Dave Rennie's Players of National Interest squad despite playing just 121 minutes of Super Rugby, believes the future remains bright.
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F99c0fd6a-27cb-4a41-9503-a49f2181a456
Fraser McReight takes a run for the Queensland Reds against the Bulls earlier this year. (AAP)
"We have Scott Johnson, who's pretty much new as director of rugby, three new Wallaby coaches and we have pretty much a brand new younger generation coming through. I played with the under-20s, but even the 18s, I think Australian rugby's definitely in the right direction," McReight told Wide World of Sports.
"Obviously, we have a new interim CEO and a new chairman-elect too, so there's lots of changes happening as well, but that's not a negative thing, I think change is good.
"That's why I'm stoked to be a part of Australian rugby.
"I get to see the next generation of awesome footballers hopefully bring glory back to Australian rugby and then watch the code recover from where it is right now to back to where it was. That's what I aspire to."

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Only after they are lodged, though. I assume the 'leaking was from before they became available from ASIC, otherwise it wouldn't have been leaking.
Going back to the Wiggs period, absolutely there was leaking. During that war, I'd say it was from more than one source, including against Wiggs.

But the John Stensholt (and Halloran) story came out Sunday evening after the ASIC lodgement. In terms of the annual report, no leaking of that was needed.

A more pertinent issue for RA now is about how beholden they are to NewsCorp. Leaks or no leaks.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Anyone else noticing a friendlier tone from Newscorp in the last week. Yesterday on recent standards would be seen as a field day for some clickbait. I wonder if there is something in the works

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Foxtel can low bid now if they want. Or not.

Less of a need to keep smashing windows and lighting fires.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Anyone else noticing a friendlier tone from Newscorp in the last week. Yesterday on recent standards would be seen as a field day for some clickbait. I wonder if there is something in the works

Yeah that, and Muzza's post above, community sport given the green light, and this just came through on my email:
original.gif

EXCLUSIVE: Bateman in talks to walk out on NRL in $3.5m return to Super League
England international John Bateman is in talks to return to English Super League powerhouse Wigan next season on a five-year deal worth up to $3.5 million.
Follow the story here >>

So HOPEFULLY, we've seen the low point for aussie rugby. Just hopefully.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Castle's gone........

Optus has walked away..........

RA back in talks with Fox.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Most (all?) of the DOs were paid rubbish money. The hours were horrid and not at all supportive of work/life balance.

There were some very good ones - some great ones in fact - but also a lot who were just doing it because it was a job until something better came along and/or they finished Uni.

Yes, I realise that.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
"Clarke said phase two of the restructure would examine the role of RA and how state unions deliver the game across the country"

Just as discussed earlier in this threads sounds like a move closer to a one management model (which has been afoot for a couple of years based on trust between RA and the states but now hastened due to fiscal realities).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
"Clarke said phase two of the restructure would examine the role of RA and how state unions deliver the game across the country"

Just as discussed earlier in this threads sounds like a move closer to a one management model (which has been afoot for a couple of years based on trust between RA and the states but now hastened due to fiscal realities).

The removal of the needless duplication is essential. In the larger states there's really no reason for the NSWRU and QRU to channel funds from RA to clubs or regions.

RA should be directly funding, in either cash or kind country regions and district clubs. That way for example RA could fund them according to local needs. Some clubs or regions might want more DOs, others might want support with facilities or equipment. RA doesn't give the cash out, but pays the costs up to a designated point.

Eliminate the entire NSWRU and QRU bureaucracies in one fell swoop. Their only role would be to pick state representative teams.

In the smaller states it possibly not such an issue as the state bodies are the only level of administration/funding.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The removal of the needless duplication is essential. In the larger states there's really no reason for the NSWRU and QRU to channel funds from RA to clubs or regions.

RA should be directly funding, in either cash or kind country regions and district clubs. That way for example RA could fund them according to local needs. Some clubs or regions might want more DOs, others might want support with facilities or equipment. RA doesn't give the cash out, but pays the costs up to a designated point.

Eliminate the entire NSWRU and QRU bureaucracies in one fell swoop. Their only role would be to pick state representative teams.

In the smaller states it possibly not such an issue as the state bodies are the only level of administration/funding.

Bang on. Applying a bit of my management education from my Uni days the business simply doesn't warrant being divided into individual 'divisions' in the form of RA and the individual state unions. The bureaucracy and inefficiencies of this model needs a complete overhaul.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Always interesting to see how the latest Halloran article reads, it’s tough but not as brutal as it has been in the previous months.

She says - World Rugby has placed tough measurements on RA that they have to achieve before the remainder of the loan is given. So far only $5m (roughly) has been handed over. The rest won’t come until certain things are done, the job cuts were some of the first stages of this.

Also interestingly indicates Fox and Rugby are talking, with a long term deal under heavy performance measurements might be in the offering. Doesn’t mention anything about how much it would be worth.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Always interesting to see how the latest Halloran article reads, it’s tough but not as brutal as it has been in the previous months.

She says - World Rugby has placed tough measurements on RA that they have to achieve before the remainder of the loan is given. So far only $5m (roughly) has been handed over. The rest won’t come until certain things are done, the job cuts were some of the first stages of this.

Also interestingly indicates Fox and Rugby are talking, with a long term deal under heavy performance measurements might be in the offering. Doesn’t mention anything about how much it would be worth.

I'll start the bidding at $1... no other offers?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting article and it could have implications for Aus rugby and players image rights
World Rugby Player of the Year Pieter-Steph du Toit may never have had a real intention to leave South Africa or the Stormers. But the manner in which his existing contract was renegotiated at a time of financial crisis has raised some important issues for the future of rugby.

His home union (WP Rugby) is potentially in breach of two CBAs – one related to the acceptance of pay cuts across the board in South African rugby, and the other to the control of image rights by the South African players trade union.

If du Toit and his agent have indeed set a new precedent, it is one that will threaten eventually to separate the elite from the journeyman rugby player, and sieve the haves from the have-nots. Saracens’ overpayment for a stake in Maro Itoje’s own image rights company follows the same thread.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/06/03/has-south-african-rugby-let-the-genie-out-of-the-bottle/

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
this comment sums it up for me:

I don’t know how image rights work but I’m uncomfortable with a player owning their own, to the exclusion of all others in the game, if it involves images from game play. It takes 30 players to invest years of training and preparation to get on the field, not to mention all the coaching, for that one impressive moment to be captured on film. If a sponsor wants to pay for said image, then everyone deserves a slice because it wouldn’t exist without the collective effort. It might even have a faceless opponent getting shrugged off in a tackle.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Fair enough too. I would can lots of RA's overhead as I mentioned and happily try to support good in-field development officers of the type you note, provided they were qualified and applied in the right areas.

It's worth noting that - remarkably - it's clear today that not only were there 142 FTEs in RA but on top yet another '30 contractors and casual workers'. No wonder the books don't balance, sheesh.

It would seem that World Rugby have come to a similar conclusion to you.

World Rugby currently holds RA’s future in its hands. A $9.5m cash advance won’t be received unless four strict conditions are met, which means more brutal cost cutting is unavoidable.