• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Whatever happens must happen soon.
I'm starting to enjoy Michael Ennis and Cooper Cronk dong analysis after league games.
Although my enjoyment of the actual games dropped several points when the Sea Eagles were robbed of a win yesterday.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Wasn’t sure where to post this thread wise , but since there’s talk of league .....

Today’s Sunday Mail has a story about Joseph Sua'ali'i about to sign a $2M / 4 year deal with South Sydney , he is still 16 and can’t play first grade until he turns 18 years of age . He played right wing for the Australian U18’s last year in their win over NZ and has all chasing his signature. Crazy money for a teenager.

Another story about Vunivalu seeking assurances about his contract with the Reds for next year .

Not a bad example of the state of the two codes currently....

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Wasn’t sure where to post this thread wise , but since there’s talk of league ...

Today’s Sunday Mail has a story about Joseph Sua'ali'i about to sign a $2M / 4 year deal with South Sydney , he is still 16 and can’t play first grade until he turns 18 years of age . He played right wing for the Australian U18’s last year in their win over NZ and has all chasing his signature. Crazy money for a teenager.

Another story about Vunivalu seeking assurances about his contract with the Reds for next year .

Not a bad example of the state of the two codes currently..

Yes. When League quite recently became well and truly able to out-match Union for player salaries, the game of codes changed again with League gaining another upper hand (in code market share and medium-term player talent terms).

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Not sure where best to put it but this interview - EJ (Eddie Jones) on the NZTV The Breakdown in recent days - is really worth a listen IMO, he covers just about every topic and has one great burn for Kiwi rugby:

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
A btw: has everyone picked up from GeoRob's recent article re the matter of the candidates for the new RA CEO job that, lo and behold, the committee picked by the RA board to guide the headhunters and help filter candidates is, she says, to be comprised of:

** Pip Marlow (long-standing RA NED, senior IT exec), Phil Waugh and Daniel Herbert **

Does this group strike one a possessing the right/best/optimal qualifications for such a critical committee, or does such a constituted group strongly imply that nothing is _really_ changing inside RA's view-of-self and governance processes?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A btw: has everyone picked up from GeoRob's recent article re the matter of the candidates for the new RA CEO job that, lo and behold, the committee picked by the RA board to guide the headhunters and help filter candidates is, she says, to be comprised of:

** Pip Marlow (long-standing RA NED, senior IT exec), Phil Waugh and Daniel Herbert **

Does this group strike one a possessing the right/best/optimal qualifications for such a critical committee, or does such a constituted group strongly imply that nothing is _really_ changing inside RA's view-of-self and governance processes?

Corporate hack - tick
Shore Old Boy - tick (he gets two ticks actually as he also works for one of the big 4 banks)
No concept of conflict of interest - tick https://www.couriermail.com.au/news...w/news-story/222f1c69f9d1a647414d14e2ff7747d1

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Wasn’t sure where to post this thread wise , but since there’s talk of league ...

Not a bad example of the state of the two codes currently..

Souths have been paying all or part of his fees at Kings since he started there.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yes. When League quite recently became well and truly able to out-match Union for player salaries, the game of codes changed again with League gaining another upper hand (in code market share and medium-term player talent terms).

Also a considerable elite league player presence at some GPS schools.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Souths have been paying all or part of his fees at Kings since he started there.
Yes. My youngest was in year 7 last year and Joe was a year 10 monitor in their boarding house. I spoke to him on a couple of occasions, a very humble and nice young fella. The boys speak very highly of him and he openly says he would rather play rugby than league. He has an obligation to Souths but the general feeling is it’s very much a ‘watch this space’ situation.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm another one that's not sure where to post this.
Queens Birthday Honours
https://www.gg.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-06/QB2020 Gazette - O of A.PDF
Services to rugby league - 6
Services to Rugby Union - 1
We need to honour the grass roots people supporting Rugby Union.
I have no idea how to run with this (a lot like my short rugby career), but please someone pick it up and run with it!

They all start with community based nominations. If you think somebody deserves recognition then anyone can start the process off.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
RA in talks with a private equity firm that has dealings with UFC.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...lks-with-rugby-australia-20200610-p5519e.html

A very interesting development, foreshadowed in some of our speculations and discussions.

Prima facie, and it's very early days, but this could = the salvation financially and strategically as well as, if it happens, it is highly likely to break the introversion, inbrededness and strategic indolence of the traditional managerial and cultural core of Aust rugby's governance systems.

Made my day seeing this.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Could be salvation or it could make things worse. For every example of an American sporting investment succeeding there are two that have failed.

Have to reserve judgment on this one for a very long time. Fingers crossed though - maybe a buyout will trigger the shake-up needed. At the very least i think it will rule out any chance of the code going FTA.

It also has to be approved by the board.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Could be salvation or it could make things worse. For every example of an American sporting investment succeeding there are two that have failed.

Have to reserve judgment on this one for a very long time. Fingers crossed though - maybe a buyout will trigger the shake-up needed. At the very least i think it will rule out any chance of the code going FTA.

It also has to be approved by the board.
It sounds like the investment will be in the second tier competition, not a buyout of the code per se. The biggest benefit would be that we would keep our players here.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

OK, OK, but Derpus: but we are on our arses financially and commercially. Some form of radical change and change agent with the right, or right enough, direction and resources is critical or we are dead in 2-3 years.

And having said that: we will NEVER find the perfect, sanitised, approved-and-admired-by-all change agent to shift RA and the rest off its arse and aim for brighter light.

When - and if - we find one, it is guaranteed to entail pros and cons, some terrific parts and no doubt some arguable and imperfect parts. We must accept that.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It sounds like the investment will be in the second tier competition, not a buyout of the code per se. The biggest benefit would be that we would keep our players here.

We'll see - but there's no way in hell a tough, results-obsessed firm like KKR will just buy for serious money into some version of Super Rugby and say to RA and the local Aust RUs "hey guys, you just run things wrt to (eg) sourcing and developing players, training and coaching, RU leadership, media strategy, game and code marketing, comp format choices, player engagement terms (and so on) just like you always have".

Not.Going.To.Happen.That.Way. Not with these boys.