• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Having re-read it, it seems like the investment will be on the basis that Super Rugby will not proceed beyond 2020. Third hand information at best though.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
We'll see - but there's no way in hell a tough, results-obsessed firm like KKR will just buy for serious money into some version of Super Rugby and say to RA and the local Aust RUs "hey guys, you just run things wrt to (eg) sourcing and developing players, training and coaching, RU leadership, media strategy, game and code marketing, comp format choices, player engagement terms (and so on) just like you always have".

Not.Going.To.Happen.That.Way. Not with these boys.
Absolutely. Also says they are talking to South Africa. No mention of the kiwis, the inference being that it’s a domestic comp they are going to do the feasibility study on.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Absolutely. Also says they are talking to South Africa. No mention of the kiwis, the inference being that it’s a domestic comp they are going to do the feasibility study on.

Just a fyi: NZRU have already said they have had recent conversations with PE re taking some form of strategic stake in the ABs as a global business/brand. Nothing announced as yet.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
More distinct groups of people invested in RA is good, more interest in keeping it afloat. I reckon as an investor it makes sense right now, it's hopefully at its nadir and about to get a BIL series and probably the RWC. Pick up a stake for chips then watch it have a (small?) up swing.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Just a fyi: NZRU have already said they have had recent conversations with PE re taking some form of strategic stake in the ABs as a global business/brand. Nothing announced as yet.

That's right - there was some media a few months ago mentioning that US PE Firm Silver Lake was in discussions with NZ Rugby. Interestingly, Silver Lake and KKR partnered up with their investments in the UFC. I wonder if we're seeing an alliance of Silver Lake, KKR, Rugby AU and NZ Rugby to pull together a trans-Tasman competition.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12330421

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I like it. PE means there's a focus on the domestic product over the international product which is what I've been saying needs to happen. I know people will complain we'll become like France/England where the clubs don't have the national team's interest foremost but nor should they. Make the call RA.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I like it. PE means there's a focus on the domestic product over the international product which is what I've been saying needs to happen. I know people will complain we'll become like France/England where the clubs don't have the national team's interest foremost but nor should they. Make the call RA.

The best thing about a PE domestic league is that RA would have very little to do with the day to day operations.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
As long as there is a clear window where a domestic competition can be played without a crossover with test rugby then it’s a positive.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think PE would work best if they owned the comp but not the players. RA give them a window to play in and parameters around player workload, RUPA could be part of these talks. The PE group run the comp and promote it, pay the teams to participate in it and RA for use of the players and they can keep all the other money.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I presume it’d be a similar deal to what happens in Eng, where the RFU pays a sum of money to the Premiership for exclusive access to players at certain times of the year and also limits players of interest been over played.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Wayne Smith has sat down with Hamish McLennan and these are his five priorities in order:

1) Secure the financial future of Australian rugby. Essentially fixing the pro tier comp and getting a broadcast deal done.
2) investment in grassroots and club rugby
3) creating a meaningful pathway from amateur rugby to pro rugby to the Wallabies
4) innovation - lobbying for law changes and how the game is presented to the media, etc
5) allocate sufficient resources to RAs 2027 RWC bid.

I’m liking this bloke already. Now to find a CEO who can execute the above. I’m still keen on Carroll.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Wayne Smith has sat down with Hamish McLennan and these are his five priorities in order:

1) Secure the financial future of Australian rugby. Essentially fixing the pro tier comp and getting a broadcast deal done.
3) creating a meaningful pathway from amateur rugby to pro rugby to the Wallabies
4) innovation - lobbying for law changes and how the game is presented to the media, etc

I’m liking this bloke already. Now to find a CEO who can execute the above. I’m still keen on Carroll.

I'm on board with all of that

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Mate, it's groundhog day all over again. Here's a snippet of the press release when Pulver was appointed in 2013!!

“I would like to see the ARU as an innovative and profitable leader in a prosperous global Rugby community.
Communicate & collaborate relentlessly with all stakeholders to ensure a united approach to achieving our objectives;
Support every effort in community Rugby to expand participation in the game, including a focus on encouraging the involvement of women;
In a world where our supporters are distracted by an endless range of entertainment options, we must aim to constantly enhance our entertainment experience; and

Recognise any themes?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Mate, it's groundhog day all over again. Here's a snippet of the press release when Pulver was appointed in 2013!!

Recognise any themes?

TBH, not really. Only that they both had objectives, just different ones. This is a chairman BTW, Pulver was CEO. It's whoever gets that role that will be crucial. Any of Pulver's objectives went out the window when he signed off on the 18 team Super Rugby comp and proclaimed it as Australian Rugby's greatest day ever.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Yeh I am still keen on carroll too - want someone who can think outside the square as that is what we need given where rugby at in this country - i also like the idea of private equity investment to drive a more commercial and strategic focus for the pro super rugby game to break away from the traditional rugby thinking still in many cases bounded back to amateur era thinking and traditions.