• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
He'd be better off playing league for three years and then rugby swooping on him if he's any good. Can't justify the spend, even if it's not their money. Most players have an injury in their first few years and it wouldn't be a great look having an unproved $1M on the sidelines.

If it's Twiggy paying $1million a year, it's like you spending $10. Just back end the deal so you don't waste the cash on a kid who may go off the rails when he turns 18.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm a bit torn on this. If it all falls through and he signs with Souths then I won't be crying into my beer. But he does seem like a talent, if we can get him at the right price.

The thing that I like about it is it gives the neutral fan a reason to tune in. We have no genuinely marketable figures in the game at the moment. The Fox SuperAU promo features Karmichael Hunt FFS. That's the best we can do at the moment.

Guys like Beale, Quade, Folau all had big cut through with the wider sporting public. They played exciting footy, had name and face recognition and yeah the occasional off-field headline.

At the moment it's maybe Tongan Thor, Hooper (who is likeable but hardly gets the pulse racing), and then who? JOC (James O'Connor)?

Sua'ali'i could, maybe, possibly be a bloke who can fill that void. For all the talk that the money should be spent on Harry Wilson or Rory Arnold, the fact is general fans aren't tuning in to a Super game to see them.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah, but, if we have 3 million dollars it should go to honoring out existing obligations before splurging on a star player.

Id be furious if my employer cut my salary and then brought someone in on huge money. I'd definitely be looking for a new gig. It's insulting.

If it's third party money id be on the phone to every single player letting them know that.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Well it's important to state no deal has been signed yet, and the one that seems to be on the table isn't $3m.

And then there's very likely a complex $$ mix in that figure. Private cash, Olympic cash, maybe incentives and sponsors, who knows.

So the notion that it could be simply spread around to others may not be correct. I don't know though.

I agree it will require some quite delicate diplomacy by Clarke with the current playing group, but we have no reason to believe that isn't taking place right now.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The thing that I like about it is it gives the neutral fan a reason to tune in. We have no genuinely marketable figures in the game at the moment. The Fox SuperAU promo features Karmichael Hunt FFS. That's the best we can do at the moment.
I actually read something similar on a League forum, part of this is RA gambling on a marketing figure. I'd also add another part of this is likely trying to demonstrate there are pathways into Union for young players after the Crichton debacle. No better way to show there are pathways than have someone debut in Union before they were League eligible.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I actually read something similar on a League forum, part of this is RA gambling on a marketing figure. I'd also add another part of this is likely trying to demonstrate there are pathways into Union for young players after the Crichton debacle. No better way to show there are pathways than have someone debut in Union before they were League eligible.

Definite change in tune from poor Crichton who wouldn't play for the tahs till he was 23 to, Joseph who is legally still a child may/may not play super rugby/internationals by the end of the year

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
And he also goes to the Olympics, too. That's a pretty big weapon to have in your arsenal.

Yep, he is physically unlikely to be ready for a full season of adult 13s or 15s for a couple of years

So being offered the opportunity to be paid well to travel the world as a 17/18 yro and be a chance at being an Olympian sounds like a nice "gap year" to me.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yep, he is physically unlikely to be ready for a full season of adult 13s or 15s for a couple of years

So being offered the opportunity to be paid well to travel the world as a 17/18 yro and be a chance at being an Olympian sounds like a nice "gap year" to me.
Not really a gap year, he’s still at school next year!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I'm a bit torn on this. If it all falls through and he signs with Souths then I won't be crying into my beer. But he does seem like a talent, if we can get him at the right price.

Guys like Beale, Quade, Folau all had big cut through with the wider sporting public. They played exciting footy, had name and face recognition and yeah the occasional off-field headline.

At the moment it's maybe Tongan Thor, Hooper (who is likeable but hardly gets the pulse racing), and then who? JOC (James O'Connor)?

Sua'ali'i could, maybe, possibly be a bloke who can fill that void. For all the talk that the money should be spent on Harry Wilson or Rory Arnold, the fact is general fans aren't tuning in to a Super game to see them.

That is bang on barb, one of differences between NZ and Aus rugby is the top stars that do the magic that brings in the punters on tv! Players like Nugget Smith etc that make you suck in your breath when you see what they can do. As you say Beale and Quade could mke a cock up every now and then, but by geez the positive stuff they could do made ANY rugby person want to watch any game they were involved in to see it!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Considering his current contract is worth a reported 1 mil a year. RA are going to need to find more benefactors to come to their aid next year for Crichton.
He'll be lucky to get that again. We're flushed with backrowers, I don't see much of a reason for RA to dig deep into the purse for him.