• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

dru

Tim Horan (67)
They don't have to take any active steps to destroy things like the NRC. They only have to sit back and do nothing and let nature take it's course. It's called resistance by intertia.

If the people running rugby in Australia have learnt anything from the ARC and NRC it's that Frankenstein cobbled together franchises and/or start-up franchises with no connection to the people won't work in Sydney. People might not like that thought, but I think it's time that some in authority start seeing things as they are instead of things how they wish them to be.

That's basically what I was saying. TBH I don't like it and the forced positioning on rugby coming from the SRU I find completely off putting.

BUT

It is reality. Nothing is likely to be sustainable if RA does bring them along. That means not just conferring but actual traction. I hope it is being done.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It doesn't matter what we want in NRC etc, we have to remember that RA is basically broke isn't it and even with the help out from WR (World Rugby), will a comp like the NRC be able to happen anyway, it's a money pit from all accounts and so with bugger all test income on horizon, I doubt it can be run.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It doesn't matter what we want in NRC etc, we have to remember that RA is basically broke isn't it and even with the help out from WR (World Rugby), will a comp like the NRC be able to happen anyway, it's a money pit from all accounts and so with bugger all test income on horizon, I doubt it can be run.

The NRC in its current format won't happen.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Where are you getting the money pit bit from? It has always been cost neutral. The ARC in 2007 was the money pit.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
will a comp like the NRC be able to happen anyway, it's a money pit from all accounts
Nah.

As said, NRC won't happen. Primarily due to reasons other than money, though.

NRC team budgets were low and the comp was run lean.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Where are you getting the money pit bit from? It has always been cost neutral. The ARC in 2007 was the money pit.

The funds one way or another have historically come from the Wallaby earnings. Add Super earnings thought they are net negative. NRC was funded via the broadcaster as a nominal net neutral to the clubs really.

Where we are now though:
a) A TT with 2 teams let alone 5 needs funding. Didnt seer anything for funding from the KLiwi comp, so would need funding.
b) A National Domestic Comp would need funding.

Same same. The funding argument is moot as it applies whatever happens.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
People have to get their head around the fact there is a strong chance there will not be international travel next year. Maybe super rugby is put on hold for 12mths and the NRC is played as a home and away series.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Say something often enough, it starts to be believed. Dan apparently has a firm belief that the NRC lost money hand over fist.

I was under the impression that it cost RA money to run it, I not sure where I saw figures, not the clubs . Think I saw it was one of reasons that RA was in the red and perhaps figures I read were just 'newspaper' ones. I take it back,that's good to know, and I more than happy to be wrong. And pleased to know it can be run again if wanted, though there seems little appetite for it, I was one who didn't mind it even if I did think some tweaks were in order.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I was under the impression that it cost RA money to run it, I not sure where I saw figures, not the clubs . Think I saw it was one of reasons that RA was in the red and perhaps figures I read were just 'newspaper' ones. I take it back,that's good to know, and I more than happy to be wrong. And pleased to know it can be run again if wanted, though there seems little appetite for it, I was one who didn't mind it even if I did think some tweaks were in order.

It was low cost and specifically covered by the TV deal with fox (IIRC). Didn't cost RA a cent.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
"with a view that we push more resources down to the member unions for grassroots and club management"

This to me means that they want to return a lot more tasks that had been done by employees back to volunteers at the state level. Whilst it's understandable that they're stripping out a lot of costs because they have to, those funds are clearly not going to be redeployed as distributions to the state unions to make equivalent hires.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)

ARC wasn't actually that bad, i think the fact they used "money" as an excuse to end the comp was a bit of a cop out. It actually lost a hell of a lot less money than their initial projections before the competition started

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
ARC wasn't actually that bad, i think the fact they used "money" as an excuse to end the comp was a bit of a cop out. It actually lost a hell of a lot less money than their initial projections before the competition started

Yep. The losses it incurred were actually factored for and they were within those.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yep. The losses it incurred were actually factored for and they were within those.

I'm not sure that mattered though. Was it sustainable to continue running like that for enough years for it to get sufficient traction to make it more valuable?

One of the biggest issues with the ARC is they relocated so many players that the costs of the tournament were very high and there wasn't really any reasonable path to bringing those down quickly.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm not sure that mattered though. Was it sustainable to continue running like that for enough years for it to get sufficient traction to make it more valuable?

One of the biggest issues with the ARC is they relocated so many players that the costs of the tournament were very high and there wasn't really any reasonable path to bringing those down quickly.

I had a family member who worked for mazda and pretty much managed the sponsorship between the company and all their rugby commitments. They were apparently very willing to pump as much money as needed into it to make it viable but got a "no thank you" from the ARU

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I had a family member who worked for mazda and pretty much managed the sponsorship between the company and all their rugby commitments. They were apparently very willing to pump as much money as needed into it to make it viable but got a "no thank you" from the ARU

And KB (Kurtley Beale) won a car for being player of the comp.....but could drive it home due to his previous dd offence.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

From memory they had the first 5 seasons worth of costings projected. With the break even at season 4.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From memory they had the first 5 seasons worth of costings projected. With the break even at season 4.

If you believe 5 year projections done before the first year of something can ever be relied on then I've got a bridge to sell you.

I wonder what the year 5 projections of Super 18 looked like? Presumably year 5 (2020) was going so well that they'd have recently announced that SANZAAR's TV deal for 2021 onwards had topped US$1 billion.