• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Former Wallabies coach Michael Cheika has revealed he wants another crack at leading Australia to victory in the Rugby World Cup.
(The Australian)

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Great. Look at Eddie Jones growth as a coach since he coached the Wallabies. Plenty of people were calling for him to be Wallabies coach post RWC.

Bit of a different scario,

Eddie Jones since coaching the Wallabies has been apart of SA, Japan and England setups.

Cheika has been apart of Argentina set up for 4 games. No thanks

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

Eddie Jones since coaching the Wallabies has been apart of SA, Japan and England setups.

Yep.
Getting runs on the board elsewhere like Eddie did would be important. Who will forget Japan's 34-32 win over South Africa in Brighton at the 2015 Rugby World Cup under Temuera Morrison Eddie?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Settle down. Not at all am I nor did my comment suggest he should immediately take over. I was suggesting if Cheika has a similar growth path to Jones that it could be a good thing for Australia.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Eddie Jones and Michael Cheika have completely different coaching styles, Eddie is all about analysis and understanding, a more methodical approach. Whereas Cheika seems a bit more of a passionate coach, who leverages the emotions and passion of the players.

Eddie was able to study, improve and overcome his shortfalls. I don’t know if Cheikas personality is also capable of that.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It would be a Lazurus like return to favour, however the reality is that when Jones was sacked from the Wallabies job he was in the ‘never again’ basket and had significant personality issues which were considered too corrosive to ever again be a realistic option for the Wallabies. His final stint at the Reds seemed to only reinforce this view. Nowadays he is seen by many as the ideal option.

By his own admission, Jone’s transformation required significant ability to be self-critical and to embrace change.

Cheika is clearly on the nose at present, but not any more so, IMO, then Jones was (allowing for the fact everything is magnified by social media these days. He has been extremely successful in both coaching and business over the course of his career. In my experience few people achieve that level of success without some level of ability to learn from mistakes.

Time can also be a wonderful healer.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It would be a Lazurus like return to favour, however the reality is that when Jones was sacked from the Wallabies job he was in the ‘never again’ basket and had significant personality issues which were considered too corrosive to ever again be a realistic option for the Wallabies. His final stint at the Reds seemed to only reinforce this view. Nowadays he is seen by many as the ideal option.

By his own admission, Jone’s transformation required significant ability to be self-critical and to embrace change.

Cheika is clearly on the nose at present, but not any more so, IMO, then Jones was (allowing for the fact everything is magnified by social media these days. He has been extremely successful in both coaching and business over the course of his career. In my experience few people achieve that level of success without some level of ability to learn from mistakes.

Time can also be a wonderful healer.

I agree TSR, most top coaches are good learners as well as teachers. I think of the likes of Graham Henry and listen to what he says how he learnt a lot from coaching Wales as well as learning to listen to players. There is no reason a coach can't improve etc ,just like players and people in general life.

Reactions: TSR

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I read the article a couple of days ago, I can’t remember the exact quote, but my take on it was that headline came from his response to a question something along the lines of ‘would you consider coaching the Wallabies again’.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
two of the three Aussies mentioned are leaguies who have signed league contracts next year.

It's a little sad isn't it. To be fair, I guess it's hard to say they are lost if they never play pro level Union. Sua'ali'i in particular from all people have mentioned really does seem one of those rare talents.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)

Here is why

This is from September.

Reports suggest SANZAAR chief Andy Marinos is on the shortlist for the Rugby Australia chief executive position, left vacant by the abrupt departure of Raelene Castle earlier this year.
That would have created a conflict of interest for Marinos in the decision to stage the Rugby Championship in Australia over New Zealand.
McLennan has rubbished the reports, calling them a "cheap shot".
"Andy Marinos is a fine man, an ethical guy who has done the right thing for SANZAAR rugby over many years.
"He is not shortlisted for the Rugby Australia job.
"He is highly respected both here and around the world, but he is not on the shortlist, he hasn't been interviewed for the role and I haven't spoken to him about it.
"I think that is a complete cheap shot from the New Zealand media."
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/spor...at-all-time-low-ra-chair-hamish-mclennan.html

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
I thought we weren’t supposed to read news articles ?

How else are we supposed to come up with wags**? I guess that there's enough of us on here to come up with multiple conspiracy theories........

**wags = wild a***d guesses