• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
If the B&I Lions series goes ahead, in whatever form. Then the only teams available from Europe are France and Italy, and they're both coming down to Australia and New Zealand already. Fiji are already playing a test in New Zealand. Japan are really the extra team who could come down.

So could have a mini world cup of Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, France and Italy. But New Zealand aren't going to travel to Australia, so those game will remain there. In Australia, we could possible get an extra test match or two featuring Japan and Fiji playing each other.

I think RA is positioning this as the first option if the Lions tour is cancelled, and the southern winter opens up for the B&I teams.

Whilst I'm sure they could manage some sort of bubble arrangement for the Lions tour in South Africa, if the Lions play the Springboks in front of an empty stadium, if they don't have 30,000 drunk tourists following them around, is it actually a Lions tour? Come to Australia instead.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I just don’t see the lions coming to Australia, broadcast rights would already have been sold, the financial impact of moving to another time zone would be a massive hit for SARU that they can’t afford. They’ll either play in empty stadiums in South Africa or host the games in Europe.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I just don’t see the lions coming to Australia, broadcast rights would already have been sold, the financial impact of moving to another time zone would be a massive hit for SARU that they can’t afford. They’ll either play in empty stadiums in South Africa or host the games in Europe.

or die trying.... ok bad joke..

Rob42

John Solomon (38)

No, I meant the national teams (Eng, Ire, Sco, Wal, SA) coming to Australia this year, possibly with the Lions tour happening in SA in 2022.

The Lions tour would be a little different to most big sporting events, the broadcast rights are still crucial, but somewhat less so. The tourist income would be something you'd have to factor in, it's massive. The host unions plan on that windfall to get them through the leaner years. If they can possibly afford it, I'm sure SARU would prefer a proper Lions tour in 2022 rather than empty stadiums in 2021. If they can afford to wait.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
With talks of mini world cups , any news on what’s happening with the Junior Wallabies ?

Would normally have an announcement of a squad by now , would be a pity to see a second year with no U20’s program at a national level.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I unfortunately can't see U29s, actually any tours of much importance happening again this year. Whether we like it or not somehow think we will have to be patient for another year. These new variants may be the final nail.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I unfortunately can't see U29s, actually any tours of much importance happening again this year. Whether we like it or not somehow think we will have to be patient for another year. These new variants may be the final nail.
Yes highly unlikely to tour , maybe either NZ or Aus hosting an Oceania Comp would be the only slight chance of actually playing a game .

Have been more concerned about the complete lack of any U20 program.

Had a look at nextgenXV the other day and they have stories about the top English U20’s players to look out for and the official announcement of the English U20’s squad for this year.

They were planning an U20’s Six Nations , which now has been postponed, but at least they still had the Academy system in place.

Two years missing out of a National development pathway is a fair chunk of time and potential talent.

We were served pretty well at the senior level out of the U20’s class of 2019 , the same year our U18’s beat NZ in 8 years.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interesting article in The Australian from Owen Slot at The Times about the potential for a lot more private equity in Rugby.
The summary is The good news is that a lot of the smartest investors in the world happen to agree, right now, that there is money to be made from rugby. It is the umpteenth message to the sport that if only it could be better organised, it could make it for itself.
By better organised, he talks about global competitions and the marketing of individual players to a younger demographic.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The summary is The good news is that a lot of the smartest investors in the world happen to agree, right now, that there is money to be made from rugby. It is the umpteenth message to the sport that if only it could be better organised, it could make it for itself.

Where exactly is the money to be made though?

COVID-19 has crushed revenues for most sporting leagues and put them in financial distress creating a situation where they potentially need to sell some of their capital to survive.

This creates the opportunity for private equity firms where they can buy a stake in a league or national union that otherwise wouldn't be available at a time when values are subdued.

The private equity firms have capital available and can make that investment knowing that by riding out the temporary problem their investment will be worth a lot more once the situation returns to normal.

This isn't just limited to sport. Private Equity is based around buying distressed assets.

I'm not sure if this is a lesson that there is money to be made if you're the owner of the distressed asset.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I'm not sure if this is a lesson that there is money to be made if you're the owner of the distressed asset.
I agree with pretty much everything you said but there is definitely the potential for Aus. rugby to better leverage/ market its players through the various channels, even if they aren't as well-known as previously.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

RA tackling the big issues.:rolleyes:

73207ba4351f8a675d02f4c474f1ce9f.jpg

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
RA tackling the big issues.:rolleyes:

Funny, it seems people are keen to whinge every year when the new jersey comes out. But if RA tries to engage people in that design process, also whinging.

I think it's a handy bit of media for rugby in a dead period of the pre-season - Tahs v Brumbies trial was to be on this weekend, but cancelled, so not much else to talk about. And if they're making an effort to listen to the rugby community on something like this, good on them.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
The optics of a group of 20-30 predominantly white men sitting at a lavish dinner at Crown drinking wine and making a key decision like this, when the game has no fucking money, are awful..