• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby Union (ARU) - Positivity Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Yeah, if he can maintain the good form he has shown at times he's an excellent bench option being able to cover both 6 and lock quite well.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah I don't get why we'd want him, most AFL fans wanted him gone ages ago and thought he was ruining the code.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Demetriou may not be liked by AFL fans etc. But it's hard to argue about the success of AFL under his watch. Big TV contracts, new or re-developed stadia (incl control of Etihad Stadium in 2025), good crowds and participation.

He may not want to move from Melbourne and rugby may not be able to afford his services. But it would be remiss of rugby powerbrokers not to gauge his interest. I think he would be suited to be an ARU board member or an independent commissioner which would not require him to relocate.

With Demetriou's intentions being made known, there will be jockeying and uncertainty within the AFL management ranks for inevitable reshuffle. It could be a good opportunity for the ARU or Super Rugby teams to have a look to see if anyone suitable is available.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Demetriou knows nothing about rugby, his big strength in the AFL was that, as a former player, he knew the game, and the players (in the broader sense).

Because of his playing background, he had a lot of credibility.

I see absolutely nothing in his background or managerial performance that would in any way translate into value for our game.

Has he ever seen a game of rugby, I wonder?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Not sure we should be looking to replace Pulver for the sake of it.
I wasn't a supporter of his appointment,but I think he is doing ok ATM.
If this new comp gets up & running this year,he is definitely doing better than just a pass mark.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Not sure we should be looking to replace Pulver for the sake of it.
I wasn't a supporter of his appointment,but I think he is doing ok ATM.
If this new comp gets up & running this year,he is definitely doing better than just a pass mark.

With you there, i wasn't sure at the start but he is looking to do things.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Demetriou knows nothing about rugby, his big strength in the AFL was that, as a former player, he knew the game, and the players (in the broader sense).

Because of his playing background, he had a lot of credibility.

I see absolutely nothing in his background or managerial performance that would in any way translate into value for our game.

Has he ever seen a game of rugby, I wonder?

Reckon you would have said the same about Jim Carmichael back in 2010.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Corporate Melbourne is very different to the rest of Corporate Australia (at least, it used to be when I worked there, and I really doubt that much has changed since).

Demetrious was effective in Corporate Melbourne, which is where the strength of the AFL has always been.

Those buggers are very, very inbred, frankly.

T

Train Without a Station

I agree ILTW. Can't agree with the dismissive comments about the prospect of the CEO who oversaw AFL becoming the biggest, strongest game in Australia heading up rugby.

Wamberal, that's a pretty ignorant comment. Jim Carmichael came to the Reds from a role within the AFL and has been a great success. In his 11 years at the helm the AFL has surpassed every other code and leads the way in just about every important facet. To say you can't see any evidence of managerial performance that could translate into success for Rugby Union completely ignores the success the AFL has seen under his tenure.

Demetriou is personally unpopular with minorities due to making tough calls, which were for the benefit of the game as a whole, at the detriment of these small minorities. The voice of discontent is always the loudest. Essendon supporters pissed and moaned about him over the ASADA scandal, but you have to remember that's 1/18th (well likely larger) of the game. The other 17th if they agree aren't going to be as vocal in their support. People only voice their opinion when they disagree.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Reckon you would have said the same about Jim Carmichael back in 2010.

Carmichael had a much broader background, didn't he? Mike Fitzpatrick, a very good former AFL player, could probably do a good job in a senior position in rugby.

Demetriou is a narrowly focused product of the AFL, has only worked within its walls, AFAIK.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Wamberal, that's a pretty ignorant comment. Jim Carmichael came to the Reds from a role within the AFL and has been a great success. In his 11 years at the helm the AFL has surpassed every other code and leads the way in just about every important facet. To say you can't see any evidence of managerial performance that could translate into success for Rugby Union completely ignores the success the AFL has seen under his tenure.

Another insult. I am ignorant, am I?

Carmichael's background was much wider than just the AFL. Demetriou's background is all AFL.

I repeat the point that I made. He knows nothing about rugby, and as most of us know, the challenges of our game are vastly different to those of the AFL. We are internationally governed, they are local. We are struggling, they have always been very, very popular in what is still a very rich city, in the state which gave birth to the game.

Honestly, some of you buggers would believe anything. Let's see whether or not the AFL employs somebody from outside the AFL for their top job. If they do, ever, then I will concede that you might have a point.

Frankly, it is a waste of time debating issues like this with dimwits like you.

T

Train Without a Station

I said it was an ignorant comment. But thanks for responding and calling me a dimwit. Charming.

AFL's growth hasn't come from only catering to it's existing base, it's come from attracting new supporters. I fail to see how that really relates to your point about Andrew's flaws being he only knows AFL and inside the game. AFL has had very large growth in QLD and appear to also have had it in NSW, whilst further consolidating WA, SA and Vic. Despite their competition in winter, they have become bigger than cricket in Australia.

This growth has been assisted by large TV Deals. Can't imagine they'd be based on one single market (Melbourne) as you mention.

But yeah, fuck him. AFL Clown. Let's get a succession plan to parachute Jason Allen to follow Bill Pulver. He hasn't overseen success but he knows rugby. And that's what matters.

T

Train Without a Station

In all fairness I was just trying to be sarcastic and think of the worst Rugby administrator we had. Jason Allen came to mind there.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
The ARU CEO role would be a big demotion for Demetriou and that's why I reckon he would be suited to a board/governance role as the talk of him joining the Crown board would indicate.

Besides, as others have said, Pulver appears to be doing a decent job. However, with the rumours floating about that the NRC may not go ahead in 2014, his credibility would take a big hit after all his efforts to plug it.

Demetriou is a narrowly focused product of the AFL, has only worked within its walls, AFAIK.

Summary of Demetriou's professional background:

http://investing.businessweek.com/r...erson.asp?personId=11754925&privcapId=9301083

Those buggers are very, very inbred, frankly.

You could say the same about some rugby circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.